News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to read the Passenger Car Parts Catalog

Started by bakerhillpins, August 10, 2012, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

OK, I have to admit it. I thought that I would be able to figure out how to read the parts catalog but every time I think I got it it seems I get confused again. So hopefully someone can school me so I can start to practice more self help...

:shortbus:

So Brake Boosters have been on my mind along with intake manifolds so why not start there. Rather than spending lots of time typing up what I think is going on could someone grab a few lines on the excerpt below and decode away.  :2thumbs:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Alaskan_TA

There should be a page near the front with the body codes & an explanation on how to use the book.

stripedelete

Damn, looks like a Linear Progamming test.    :icon_smile_big:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on August 10, 2012, 08:47:25 PM
There should be a page near the front with the body codes & an explanation on how to use the book.

Er... been there. That's the entire reason for the  :shortbus: and the topic..    :scratchchin:   

Quote from: stripedelete on August 10, 2012, 08:53:32 PM
Damn, looks like a Linear Progamming test.    :icon_smile_big:

It's probably not good then that I make a living as a Engineer/Software Programmer.   :eek2: 
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

ODZKing

What exactly would you like to know?
Our Charger's are "W" for Coronet/Charger.
The number you have highlighted is for a Plymouth Fury or full size Plymouth as they call it.
If you are looking for the power brake pkg for a Charger, under "W" it lists "1".  That means 1 per car.
"Pkg" means it comes with more than just the booster ... probably rod, springs, etc. 3004622. 
The other would be for Coronet wagon.
If you are looking for JUST the unit, 3004608.  The other is again for Coronet wagon UNLESS you have a Hemi with disc or drum brakes. Those again are 2 different numbers.
Any more questions, just ask ... glad to help and explain.

bakerhillpins

Ok,

How did you figure out that 'W' was for Coronet/Charger?  W is only listed as Coronet... I have been looking in the 'D' column since it's a Dodge.
Yea, the highlighted number was getting hosing me up because of the above I guess.
1 means 1 per car. Cool. That makes SOOOO much more sense.
Pkg - yea I kinda figured that out.

That's about where I loose you.
So under 5-100-2 Power Unit - which I take is JUST the power brake Booster.
the 5th column is W and is the Charger..
So there are 4 parts that have a 1 under the W above the breaking line..
The bottom 2 are for  Hemi equipped cars.. not me I have a 440
the 3rd from the bottom is just for wagons. not me I have a Charger.
4th from the bottom is a part number for a drum brake car Bendix Or MR that is not a wagon. So that would be me. So both power brake boosters share the same part #???  How does that make sense. Power Drum cars and Power Disc cars got very different boosters.

:scratchchin:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Ghoste

D is for the full size cars.  That is one of the things they explain in the front of the book but basically its a streamlining exercise.  W is used for Coronet and since they sold far more Coronets and nearly everything on the Charger was also to be found in the Coronet, it becomes much easier and makes for a smaller book to list the Charger as a W.  Where items are Charger specific, the book will indicate so.

charger Downunder

The must of changed it in the 70 71 book it has w coronet/charger
[/quote]

Just 6T9 CHGR

Look further down...2883056 is the Bendix disc booster.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on August 11, 2012, 12:41:11 AM
D is for the full size cars.  That is one of the things they explain in the front of the book but basically its a streamlining exercise.  W is used for Coronet and since they sold far more Coronets and nearly everything on the Charger was also to be found in the Coronet, it becomes much easier and makes for a smaller book to list the Charger as a W.  Where items are Charger specific, the book will indicate so.

Makes sense that they would co- list the Charger under the Coronet for that reason. Could you be more specific as to where this is explained? Not trying to be a PITA I just don't see it.  :cheers:  I have read through the "INF" section several times and not found that information anywhere else. Am I looking in the wrong section? Interestingly enough on the cover they do take the time to highlight the Newport, 300, NYker as C1/2/3..  And only have 2 cars listed under Imperial. Under Dodge they have several cars some of which are individually Identified so I went with D being Dodge for the Charger.  :shruggy:

Quote from: charger Downunder on August 11, 2012, 03:47:17 AM
The must of changed it in the 70 71 book it has w coronet/charger
I have the "Revised Loose leaf  Parts Catalog January 1971", are you talking about the same one? I have a digital copy of the parts book I got for xmas last year.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 11, 2012, 07:49:37 AM
Look further down...2883056 is the Bendix disc booster.

Ok, So yes, that makes sense. Now, from the Bendix/Midland Ross listing above that effectively means that both parts are correct for a Drum Brake car? So the parts book can't tell us definitively that the MR units were on as OE from the Factory.  Thus we can only pull this info from anecdotal evidence from looking at old pics and un-restored cars?
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Nacho-RT74

depending on year...
up to 70 Charger was X, Then from 71 was W like Coronets on previous years, since the Chargers were introduced on Coronet line like the only 2 doors B body offered

From 71 we got on Ws 21, 23 or 29, making "Coupe", Hardtop or "fastback". 41, 43 and 45-6 was the Coronets lines... Standards Customs or Station wagons respectivelly 45 or 46 depening on the 3rd seat row or not. as you can see, 2X imakes reference to 2 doors, and 4X makes reference to 4 doors

Earlier years were the same but playing with the X and W being both were on separated lines, since Coronets were also 2 doors ( Coupes and hardtops )

Ds where Dodges C bodies, Ps plymouths, Cs where Chryslers, Y were Imperials...

the 21, 23, 29, 41, 43 45 and 46 codes where the same for all years
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

What about A-bodies?  Some years the Plymouth A's were V. :lol:

Nacho-RT74

V... Valiant, L... Dart, B... Barracuda, J... Challies, R... Satellites and related

the numbers below the letters on this case must being making relation to some notes at the end of the page or the begining of the chapter. MOSTLY SURE, making relation to Coupes, Sedans, Premiums clases etc... on same chapter of my 74 catalog they state the class line letter instead a number ( L low line, M mid, H High, P premium, S special etc... )

piece of cake... EVERYTHING WILL MATCH YOUR VIN CODES
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

charger Downunder

I have the "Revised Loose leaf  Parts Catalog January 1971", are you talking about the same one? I have a digital copy of the parts book I got for xmas last year

Just checked for you my book is dated January 1972 loose leaf parts catalog 1970-71 passenger car application.
[/quote]

ODZKing

Quote from: Ghoste on August 11, 2012, 02:43:54 PM
Sean, if you're referring to Aspen and Volare, they are F body.
http://www.cnymopar.com/BodyGuide.htm

b5blue

Bill at the top of the page it states the listings are "For Field Install" so all this info is for Dealer add not as built.  :shruggy: 

Tilar

Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 11, 2012, 08:49:21 AM
I have read through the "INF" section several times and not found that information anywhere else. Am I looking in the wrong section?

In my 69 manual it doesn't show that information in the INF section, However for the 68's it does in section INF-6.

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

Quote from: ODZKing on August 11, 2012, 08:56:13 PM

No, I was referring to some of the parts manuals listing the A under V for Valiant.  It was kind of a poor joke to point out that the books are not always up to date in every way.

gtx6970

Quote from: b5blue on August 12, 2012, 06:09:27 AM
Bill at the top of the page it states the listings are "For Field Install" so all this info is for Dealer add not as built.  :shruggy: 

Field install is a complete kit to convert a manual brake car to a power brake car.
it comes with all the linkages, brackets, and hoses

Ghoste

And as far as dealer install, technically all the parts in the catalog were for dealer install as the parts guide was not an assembly line document.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Ghoste on August 13, 2012, 03:23:51 AM

No, I was referring to some of the parts manuals listing the A under V for Valiant.  It was kind of a poor joke to point out that the books are not always up to date in every way.

letter code on Catalogs simply matches the VIN

( but I got the joke ;) :lol: )

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Tilar on August 12, 2012, 07:18:22 AM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 11, 2012, 08:49:21 AM
I have read through the "INF" section several times and not found that information anywhere else. Am I looking in the wrong section?

In my 69 manual it doesn't show that information in the INF section, However for the 68's it does in section INF-6.

Cool. I am not going insane!  Does it show that info anywhere in the 69 manual?

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 13, 2012, 09:30:48 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on August 13, 2012, 03:23:51 AM
What about A-bodies?  Some years the Plymouth A's were V. :lol:

No, I was referring to some of the parts manuals listing the A under V for Valiant.  It was kind of a poor joke to point out that the books are not always up to date in every way.

letter code on Catalogs simply matches the VIN

( but I got the joke ;) :lol: )

:2thumbs: I had a hard time trying to understand what you had posted earlier and read it several times but still :scratchchin:  While I was working on the deck on Sunday I finally had that epiphany, and that's what I was missing.

And you are saying it matches the first letter of the VIN - which is why Chargers were X
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Ghoste

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on August 13, 2012, 12:10:44 PM
Exactly.

Simple things so complex sometimes, or maybe forest for the trees.   :cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire