News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Volvo P1800?

Started by Patronus, August 11, 2012, 10:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patronus

Ok, so my girlfriend whilst living in London spied an old 65-66 Volvo P-1800 that she really liked. Being the car guy I am I thought
it might be fun, etc for us. Plus its a small car and with a custom v-8 application - potentially dangerous. (left over 340 with alum heads) I like the styling... so Im in. Does anyone here have any experience with these cars? I have a chance to buy one very close by but it needs the rear axle assembled plus more than a few patchies of suitable american steel. Its only $1000. Im just not sure about something thats been messed with... I dont have a pic, but heres what they look like:

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

A383Wing

I have always liked those Volvo's....never really see them anymore....

I can't help with any of yer questions...but the car does bring back some memories of when I did see them years back

Bryan

surmanajaja

wow thats cheap. they are popular here, but expensive. I know a couple with v8 power, there is not a lot of space for it really.. they rust a lot but otherwise are simple,strong cars. steering will be heavy with the v8.

surmanajaja

billfury

BAY SHORE, New York (AP) – It just keeps going, and going, and going. No, it's not a battery. It's Irvin Gordon's 1966 Volvo P1800S.

By Seth Wenig, AP
Irv Gordon's Volvo P1800S in Babylon, N.Y.
EnlargeClose
By Seth Wenig, AP
Irv Gordon's Volvo P1800S in Babylon, N.Y.
Sponsored LinksGordon's small, red two-door has well more than 2 million miles on the odometer, the equivalent of about 100 times around the globe.

The retired schoolteacher from Long Island hopes to reach the 3 million mile mark by next year. He only has 34,000 miles to go.

PHOTOS: 1966 Volvo closes in on 3M miles
The 72-year-old Gordon drives his Volvo everywhere. He has held the Guinness World Records mark for High

Chryco Psycho

Probably the best looking volvo ever some of the brand new ones are starting to look less like boxes or tanks

Big Sugar

I ran a number of volvos over the years, mostly mild upgrades, never did get my hands on a p1800 they go asfar back as 1963 they were originally to be built buy Jensen in England but quality control was an issue right of the start and after dropping the ball a number of times Volvo finally stepped in and took the production over, early Jenson models from 62 1/2 and 63 are very collectable,  the body line ran until 1970 or thereabouts and the second version showed up as a wagonback, nice ride and also collectable,lasted only a couple of years before the line was dropped .
Great little cars with great motors, ran very strong.  I've seen plenty with buick V6 conversions and  Ford 302 mills under the hood.    Problably comparable to a early shelby cobra. With that kind of power to weight ratio.

Rust was a bit of an issue but quite a few of these p1800, never saw a hint of snow , so the rust was not a severe as it could have been,there is a lot of available performance parts out there as well as a very strong Volvo community.

Good luck
Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Patronus

Thanks for the replies/info! Interesting on the v6 application. I think we'll need to wait for a car not quite as gone.. :rotz:
I hate to walk away from clearly saving an automobile.. If anyone knows of one out west, much obliged..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE