News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wow, this sucks. 69 Camaro up in smoke in a trailer

Started by 1970Moparmann, August 10, 2012, 08:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Arlington Heights police and firefighter/paramedics responded about 2:42 p.m. Saturday to a report of a trailer on fire at Northwest Highway and Walnut Avenue. Firefighters arrived to find a 1969 Chevy Camaro inside a trailer on fire. Within minutes of the arrival of firefighters, the fire was blowing out the back door of the trailer. The trailer was a long race car/show car transport trailer being hauled by a white Chevy Silverado.

A witness driving behind the trailer said that the owner noticed possible smoke, but thought it was road dust at first, somewhere between Vail Avenue and Walnut/Ridge Avenue on westbound Northwest Highway. When the driver smelled smoke, he stopped and saw heavier white smoke coming out of the trailer. The back door of the trailer was open when firefighters arrived. The vehicle became fully-involved with flames as firefighters connected to the hydrant and charged the line. The fire was extinguished within about five minutes.

No injuries were reported.

The Chevy Camaro was being transported home to Palatine after it was on display at the Maine East High School Charity Car Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTiw60aPXV8&feature=player_embedded
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

PocketThunder

That is horrible.  That lady needs to learn that firefighters are moving as quickly as they can.   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

terrible one

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 10, 2012, 08:25:04 AM
That is horrible.  That lady needs to learn that firefighters are moving as quickly as they can.   :Twocents:

:iagree: And bad move opening the back of the trailer up and providing the fire with an unlimited supply of air :slap:

ACUDANUT

I would have dropped the trailer and moved my truck away from the inferno.

Sad to hear but why weren't there any fire extinguishers in the trailer or truck ?

elacruze

I've had more than one person ask why I always check under the hood before I leave an event. This is something I never want to happen to me.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

ACUDANUT

Cooter

Battery disconnects save cars. Wonder if it was elelctrical, or "Other"....

Hope he had insurance.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Aero426

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 10, 2012, 09:38:44 AM
Yea right, you would need 2k of them.

There are automatic fire systems for trailers.   Not cheap, but worth it, I am sure.  

Probably the worst mistake was opening the back door.  

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

1BAD68

Quote from: Aero426 on August 10, 2012, 11:54:44 AM

Assuming they are driving from a show and some passing motorist tells them there is smoke coming from their trailer, just what should they have done?
Looks like the side door was locked from the inside. Bummer but thats what insurance is for.
The lady bitching about the fireman is an idiot

Rolling_Thunder

So...    moral of the story?  Don't half ass electrical and never trailer your car.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

moparstuart

Quote from: 1BAD68 on August 10, 2012, 12:40:40 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on August 10, 2012, 11:54:44 AM

Assuming they are driving from a show and some passing motorist tells them there is smoke coming from their trailer, just what should they have done?
Looks like the side door was locked from the inside. Bummer but thats what insurance is for.
The lady bitching about the fireman is an idiot
maybe they should have thrown the drop down door right back up untill the water was there

also I can understand the lady's reaction in that moment , you feel helpless and I for one would be freaking the hell out  ( in that moment ) if it was any of my cars ..
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

myk

:pity:  Yup-that's the normal reaction for anyone...

chargerboy69

Quote from: 440 on August 10, 2012, 09:34:56 AM
Sad to hear but why weren't there any fire extinguishers in the trailer or truck ?

I saw a discharged extinguisher laying on the ground in the video.  It did not look too big and was obviously not enough to put out the fire.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

myk

I wonder what sort of wiring/electrical system it had.  I hope it was fully insured...

ACUDANUT

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Charger454

I have no "sense of entitlement". I only deserve what I've got off my ass to earn!

1970Moparmann

I guess that is why we have insurance.   :2thumbs:  At the end of the day, it's metal. 

I've been pretty lazy with disconnecting the battery (like I used to) and this will get my butt to do it again.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

myk

But....disconnecting the battery would be just delaying the inevitable anyway-something was fundamentally wrong with the car.  I'd rather the car burned up on a trailer than during a cruise or a show with people in and/or around it...

FLG

Quote from: myk on August 11, 2012, 12:00:09 AM
But....disconnecting the battery would be just delaying the inevitable anyway-something was fundamentally wrong with the car.  I'd rather the car burned up on a trailer than during a cruise or a show with people in and/or around it...

Yes and no..i mean at a show around other cars, yep. But while driving it is probably safer than in the trailer as chances are you could have saw the smoke sooner and put it out before the shit hit the fan.

Bottom line, invest in a disconnect switch.

Ghoste

I would MUCH rather have it start on fire when I'm driving it or at a show when people are around to notice and possibly help than in a trailer.  The trailer I would think stands a greater chance of having the car end up completely destroyed as well as taking the trailer with it. :Twocents:

myk

I think it's important to view the lives of other people and other people's property as a first place priority over the Camaro or any one of our own cars, if we are ever in that situation, God forbid.  If the car burns up at a cruise or a show there are other people and other property that could be endangered.  If the car flames up in a trailer well, chances are the car will be isolated as it destroys itself, as it was in this case.  Personally, I could never live with myself if my actions or my property caused others harm or misery in that regard.  Besides, I don't know about you guys but my car's insured well; I'll just wind up behind the wheel of another, better car anyway...