News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help! Cam timing for my 318 poly

Started by Dodgerdallas, August 09, 2012, 09:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

Ive got a 1966 318 poly and had to do a cam swap-old one worn badly,before I dissasembled timing chain I turned it to align the dots,the distributor was at #4 cyl instead of 1 (maybe got there by trying to adj timing w worn lobes),now w new cam and lifters installed and cam srocket on cam to turn with by hand,when I rotate the cam to # 1 supposedly TDC and both valves are closed immediatly after intake valve closes,the distributor exactly on # 1,the dot on the cam sprocket is at 12 oclock straight up-shouldnt it be at the bottom meeting the crank sprocket dot? Its exactly 180 out of line,Ive got an old basicly worthless Chilton Manual it says # 1 cyl is left-drivers side front and distributors sits perfectly at #1 for firing order,just that the camshaft dots 180 out.Anybody have any sugestions or tell me where Im screwing up?? If you got a minute a phone call would be nice and talk me through this! Pulling out what little hair I have left LOL     John 214-930-4820
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

Cooter

I think your referring to where the rotor was pointing in realation to the Place where it "Should" be pointing...

Don't worry bout it as you can start #1 Cylinder wherever it lands. Say the rotor SHOULD point to the front #1 cyl. by the FSM, ok, only if you have NEVER pulled the distributor, but pointing at #4 Cyl. but started #1 there. You can start the firing order anywhere you want on the cap, just make sure you go in firing order and it will run. Make sure you leave yourself enough room to move distributor to advance/retard timing once running.(Make sure you don't have the vacuum canister too close to anything)...

Hope this helps you out.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dodgerdallas

Ok I was under the impression that when the 2 dots (cam and crank sprocket) matched,that was when the engine fired,a guy here at a local shop told me the matching dots were exhaust stroke and the rotor should point to six at that time and when the cam dots at 12:00 that's when it fires on # 1 cyl- Dam I been outta this a long time....

Chryco Psycho

I doubt anything is different on the Poly but yes with the dots @ 6 & 12 you should be firing #6 cylinder & with the dots @ 12 & 12 you should be firing #1, either way will work as long as the rotor is pointed to #1 wire on the firing stroke for #1

Cooter

Quote from: Dodgerdallas on August 09, 2012, 01:18:15 PM
Ok I was under the impression that when the 2 dots (cam and crank sprocket) matched,that was when the engine fired,a guy here at a local shop told me the matching dots were exhaust stroke and the rotor should point to six at that time and when the cam dots at 12:00 that's when it fires on # 1 cyl- Dam I been outta this a long time....

Whoa, I thought you were referring to the Distributor cap and number 1. As far as I know, the poly small block lines up "Dot-to-Dot"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dodgerdallas

Yeah like I said I've been out if it a while,I thought when u line up the dots that was when ur #1 was to fire- had it twisted! Thanks for responding-I got another thread about timing chain,any thoughts there?

Cooter

As far as i know, standard 318-340-360 as poly's share ALOT with the "LA" engines....I'd go with a nice Double Roller though.

FYI, you do know you could bore that thing .090 Over, dump a Mopar Perf. Stroker 4" crank in that thing and have a 402 C.I. poly right? Only thing is, MONEY Invested, for VERY limited Cam profiles to choose from. I think the "Wildest" cam I've seen for the poly was Schneider 284/288 .480 inch (224/230 @ .050), Racer Brown 288/288 (230 @ .050) .480 inch, Neilson 290/290 .492 inch (234 @ .050) all hydraulic.

Dodgerdallas

That's part of my future plan believe it or not! Hey the timing chain thing is I installed a new one and there's a 1/2" of slack on both sides when u squeeze it together-is this gonna be ok as far as getting a good timing set or am I thinking too much?

Cooter

I dunno here, but you might want to keep all these type pics and related stuff in one thread. I think you have like 2-3 open now. LOL, I'm all over the board trying to help you out here man....

Dodgerdallas

I hear ya, I'm out for the night,take care