News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

why do people think....

Started by 1974dodgecharger, August 08, 2012, 07:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Quote from: skip68 on August 09, 2012, 08:50:51 AM
What's the torque numbers on some of these high horsepower engines?   I've seen high HP motors that make low torque. ???   
Remember, torque is what moves you.   
That Jeep was around 973ish I think. Pretty potent! Especially for a small block. I am actually somewhat surprised by how cheap *some* of the parts are. Obviously they aren't dealer sold parts or the prices would be double. :P

On the other hand, you can buy a Dart and install a 512 stroker, Cope Racing transmission, and a Dana 60 that will run close to the same speed for about the cost of that Arrington 426. Again, why fight physics? Start with a car that's nearly a ton lighter and you don't have to be nearly as creative. :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: skip68 on August 09, 2012, 08:42:26 AM
DON'T FORGET TRACTION CONTROL AND TIRES AND GEARING!  
Take a 69 hemi Charger, put the same rear gears, same modern tranny, same tires and traction control as a new Challenger or anything and see what happens.   I'd bet that old 426 hemi Charger wins.  
Plus you wanna tune that baby for racing.  I've always heard a 440/6 could do better than a stock factory Hemi. Tires are a huge point. My big fat wide GoodYears certainly grab better than the poly glass F70's back in the day.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

Take a 69 hemi Charger, put the same rear gears, same modern tranny, same tires and traction control as a new Challenger or anything and see what happens.   I'd bet that old 426 hemi Charger wins.  

Hmm, could make for a very interesting race.  I wouldn't be so sure those things will automatically tip the balance so easily, modern engine controls over spark and fuel have made optimum tuning almost a given in the new ones.

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on August 09, 2012, 01:48:55 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on August 09, 2012, 12:41:30 AM
You're kidding, have we really come to that? :o :rotz:

Who you kidding Ghoste, we been doing that for years .....What's the old saying, "If it don't go, chrome it"...Well, if it don't give you the raw feel of performance, hell turn the radio up a bit.... :rofl:

Yeah but we always turned the radio up before to hide the lack of performance sounds, not to broadcast pre-recorded ones.  :lol:

UH60L

In my experience in the four years of driving my charger before it went into the body shop is that in the few cases where someone really wanted to race me in a new car.......it was almost as if the sound of my exhaust scared them off, because I beat them every time.

The best one was the guy on the freeway that pulled up next to me in the fast lane and made the "lets race" motion with his hand and then stepped on it.  When I pulled away from him at 110mph and proceeded to hit 130 or so and then back off...you should have seen the look on his face after he caught back up to me.....priceless!       ;D

My '11 challenger is fun to drive, probably the closest thign to experiencing driving my '69 charger, but it will just never have the same level of cool factor.  Many of the amenities people talk about with new cars can be added to old ones, as long as your not worried about the car being stock.  I have keyless entry and a nice alpine stereo system in my '69.  A/C could be addded if I really needed it.  And, my '69 was getting 22mpg on the highway before I started the body work, so, not that bad really....

skip68

When I was a kid I put playing cards with a clothes pin on the frame of my bike.  The end of the card would rub the spokes and I would pretend to be riding a motorcycle.   
I guess this is the same thing with motor sounds on the radio.    :rofl: :smilielol:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

Except when we were kids, it was cool.  Now its just pathetic.  :lol:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on August 09, 2012, 12:00:36 PM

Hmm, could make for a very interesting race.  I wouldn't be so sure those things will automatically tip the balance so easily, modern engine controls over spark and fuel have made optimum tuning almost a given in the new ones.
It's all about traction and power.  You can have all the power you want but if your 1969 Polyglass tires are spinning, you're gonna do a slower time than the modern traction control, big ass tire cars.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Cooter

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 09, 2012, 06:45:37 PM

Hmm, could make for a very interesting race.  I wouldn't be so sure those things will automatically tip the balance so easily, modern engine controls over spark and fuel have made optimum tuning almost a given in the new ones.
It's all about traction and power.  You can have all the power you want but if your 1969 Polyglass tires are spinning, you're gonna do a slower time than the modern traction control, big ass tire cars.

Not according to the FAST guys...They run in the 9's on Bias ply tires, carrying the front wheels.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chryco Psycho

Prove that people think , I have seen a lot that never seem too  :scratchchin:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Cooter on August 09, 2012, 06:48:03 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 09, 2012, 06:45:37 PM

Hmm, could make for a very interesting race.  I wouldn't be so sure those things will automatically tip the balance so easily, modern engine controls over spark and fuel have made optimum tuning almost a given in the new ones.
It's all about traction and power.  You can have all the power you want but if your 1969 Polyglass tires are spinning, you're gonna do a slower time than the modern traction control, big ass tire cars.

Not according to the FAST guys...They run in the 9's on Bias ply tires, carrying the front wheels.
14/15" F70's?

Cooter

You tell me???

I think the black car managed to dip into the 9's a couple times.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chippa

I have no idea how hard my 440 is going to be as i havent had the luxury of driving it (3 weeks away !!) but i bought this car for all of the reasons that matter to me like owning a American classic that you dont see much down here,cool factor and all of the other valid points raised...

I recently sold my 2006 BF XR6 Turbo Falcon (Aussies will know what i'm on about) they are a 4 ltr 6 cyl and are very easily and cheap to mod up (they newer FG model can easily run a 12.9 sec 1/4 mile )...after a small outlay say 3-4k i had 430 HP at the wheels and about 14lb of boost...these cars can be very sedate to drive being a newer car but can get very angry very quickly!! point i'm making is having the older classic is more appealing than going quick to me hence the reason for selling and going old school again..

My two cents  :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Cooter on August 09, 2012, 09:24:03 PM
You tell me???

I think the black car managed to dip into the 9's a couple times.
What the?   :2thumbs: