News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

why do people think....

Started by 1974dodgecharger, August 08, 2012, 07:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Lee

Speed is not even a factor for me. I love the experience. I turn on the original radio, take a ride it sends me straight back to my childhood when that is how cars were. The smells, the sounds, feels etc. It is a timewarp.

Indygenerallee

$140,000?!  :lol: and no that one is not AWD because when it pulls the front wheels it would snap the axleshaft, the ones that run in the 8's and 9's have disabled AWD to prevent front axle damage. But that's not the point of the video, you put a 6.1 Hemi or even a 5.7 Hemi with mods in a old B body and they will easily out do the original 440's and 426 Hemis and get better MPG doing it. Just my preferance to click a couple buttons on the Diablosport Trinity tuner and go from one "tune" to another in a matter of seconds. So for myself I prefer old muscle with modern drivetrain...
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

triple_green

I just had a guy come up and talk to me about this last Friday at a local car show. He has a new SRT8 392 challenger. He asked me about the low end torque of my 71 challenger convertible, 426 hemi 3.91 gears. I said it was great, like nothing else I have driven.

He said that he is disappointed in the low end torque of his 392 hemi. He said the real torque isn't until the 5-6K rpm range. Doesn't feel the same as the old Muscle cars.

Interesting.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

cdr

my loong term plan is port fuel inj on my old school 496,already doin the over drive tranny
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Troy

Quote from: Indygenerallee on August 08, 2012, 03:30:43 PM
$140,000?!  :lol: and no that one is not AWD because when it pulls the front wheels it would snap the axleshaft, the ones that run in the 8's and 9's have disabled AWD to prevent front axle damage. But that's not the point of the video, you put a 6.1 Hemi or even a 5.7 Hemi with mods in a old B body and they will easily out do the original 440's and 426 Hemis and get better MPG doing it. Just my preferance to click a couple buttons on the Diablosport Trinity tuner and go from one "tune" to another in a matter of seconds. So for myself I prefer old muscle with modern drivetrain...
You seem confused then. You said it had 1,145 horsepower and 4wd. Do you have the receipts for that vehicle? If not, how can you contest my guess at its cost? That intercooler doesn't look like a junkyard part. It alone likely costs about as much as I have in my 440 (certainly more than I have in my 383!). Are the turbos takeoffs from a dead Cummins or new? The last turbo I purchased new cost about $2,500. Is labor free these days? And that certainly isn't a stock bottom end. Probably not heads either. Or transmission. Or fuel system. Or axles. Or ignition. I doubt a Diablosport will tune a Hemi with twin turbos and 1,145 hp. I suppose I could be wrong. :shruggy: I'm all for technology and modern horsepower in a classic package (at least one of my cars follows this formula) - but I'm also realistic.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Aero426

There seems to be more and more comparisons of old versus new, and that the old must somehow measure up to the latest stuff being produced today.    As far as I am concerned it is an apples to oranges issue.   In fact, to me, it is a total non-issue.     There are positives of both kinds of cars, but they aren't the same experience.   

Indygenerallee

Troy, you would be amazed what putting twin turbos on ANY vehicle and a tune will do! I highly doubt the guy has $140,000 dollars in it, may have a added $20,000 in it but I can't see it being much more.

Indygenerallee

I got ahold of the shop that performed the work on that SRT8 Jeep and they quoted me a price of $13,500 to do the twin turbo setup and tune to get the 1100hp on a SRT8 Jeep! Cheaper than I thought The guy said they were backlogged for 4 months......

skip68

Quote from: Indygenerallee on August 08, 2012, 04:52:15 PM
I got ahold of the shop that performed the work on that SRT8 Jeep and they quoted me a price of $13,500 to do the twin turbo setup and tune to get the 1100hp on a SRT8 Jeep! Cheaper than I thought The guy said they were backlogged for 4 months......

So how much money would you have to put into the jeep to handle 1100hp ?   I would think lots of added support and beefed up components.    :shruggy:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Patronus

Quote from: Brock Lee on August 08, 2012, 03:30:09 PM
Speed is not even a factor for me. I love the experience. I turn on the original radio, take a ride it sends me straight back to my childhood when that is how cars were. The smells, the sounds, feels etc. It is a timewarp.

I agree with Brock. Maybe not childhood, but definitely of a time long gone. Sometimes I drive with the windows up so its harder to see the big grin on my face.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Cooter

Quote from: skip68 on August 08, 2012, 05:44:45 PM

So how much money would you have to put into the jeep to handle 1100hp ?   I would think lots of added support and beefed up components.    :shruggy:

AMEN....That thing has a sh*t ton of money in it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: myk on August 08, 2012, 03:26:10 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 08, 2012, 12:02:12 PM
I always saw my Charger as an old barking dog. Intimidating but not as fast as cars out today. My 2002 Trans am runs in the 13's they tell me getting 18 to 27 mpg.
That's why I moved on. Old cars, new cars, they both have a place on the map as exciting in one way or another.  I always said I hope 40 years later we have improved the gasoline engine, and we have. No more pumping the carb for me though.

God Bless the LS1 F body, man. A's for old muscle? Their performance is mostly hyped up talk from guys "back in the day." Let's face it-most of the muscle cars from that era were 14 or even 15 second 1/4 mile cars at best from the factory including Chargers. Now.....the performance capabilities of the 60's may be gone but their styling will be timeless.  I love some of today's cars, like my '99 Ram-Air Bird, but nothing, NOTHING will ever look as good as the stuff from "back in the day..."
I love the look of my new Muscle as much as my old muscle but as noted before they are apples and oranges.  I had a brand new Shelby conv zip by me the other day, that thing was so power massive it almost sucked my TA into it's hood. That car was as intimidating and scary as a Hemi car back in the day and as nice looking. It's all good.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Scaregrabber

My 71 HemiCharger ran 13.2's, My 70 Hemi Challenger ran 13.0s and my 66 Hemi Coronet (albeit with a 472) runs hard into the 11.s. That's faster than any stock new Challenger I've seen.
I also never thought of the old cars as trim and light but they sure are in comparison to the new "Chargers" and Challengers.
If you want to daily drive a car then the new stuff is fine but the old stuff will never be replaced. When you drive your new car you're pretty much driving what the govt. mandates you to drive. When you drive an old one, that car was strictly designed the best way they knew how for the buyer. They designed it so the styling would appeal to the buyer and the powertrain would impress the buyer, no thought at all was given to fitting into conformity mandated by the govt.

Sheldon

cdr

Quote from: Scaregrabber on August 08, 2012, 09:08:57 PM
My 71 HemiCharger ran 13.2's, My 70 Hemi Challenger ran 13.0s and my 66 Hemi Coronet (albeit with a 472) runs hard into the 11.s. That's faster than any stock new Challenger I've seen.
I also never thought of the old cars as trim and light but they sure are in comparison to the new "Chargers" and Challengers.
If you want to daily drive a car then the new stuff is fine but the old stuff will never be replaced. When you drive your new car you're pretty much driving what the govt. mandates you to drive. When you drive an old one, that car was strictly designed the best way they knew how for the buyer. They designed it so the styling would appeal to the buyer and the powertrain would impress the buyer, no thought at all was given to fitting into conformity mandated by the govt.

Sheldon
YEAH WHAT HE SAID
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Troy

:icon_bs: I'll believe it when you show me copies of the bill and dyno sheet. So I did my own research on that Jeep:
    TwinTurboCreations 6262mm Precision Kit
    ERL 426 Stroker Gen. III HEMI
    Paramount Unlimited Hp Tranny
    Paramount Dominator Torque Converter
    Crank This Performance Billet Fuel hat
    Paramount upgraded rear Axles
    Arrington Stage 2 Intake manifold
    Arringtopn 90mm Throttle body

That short block is $5,400 + an $1,100 core. Add in another $1,450 for additional machine work according to their site. No details on the heads but they mentioned $4,000 in a discussion. A similar Arrington 426 (used in one of their other feature Jeeps or previously in this one) lists for $17k complete. The rear diff is $6,500, axles are $950, and drive shaft is $850. The transmission is $5,250, torque converter is $979, and transfer case is $2,150. The fuel hat is $990 with pumps, intake is $1,500, and throttle body is $1,259.

Figuring just the block and heads (which makes it $5k cheaper than the Arrington) that all comes to just over $32k. Add in your $13k twin turbo kit to your $60k Jeep and you're hovering at $105k - without labor. A shop I talked to recently gets about $2,200 for an engine swap. Machin shop labor around here is about $800 for engine assembly. I can't really put a price on the 10 point cage, after market wheels, sticky tires, upgraded MAP sensor (and probably oxygen sensors) but I'd bet it isn't cheaper than an additional $5k. When you're done you have to run it on race gas. My numbers may have been off a tad but not nearly as far off as you think.

It's still a fat pig (over 5,000 pounds) and looks like a cracker box on wheels. That much money would buy every car in my garage without looking as cool as any one of them - and I have one for every day of the week! I know of several cars on this site that run only slightly slower and you could probably build all of them for the cost of that one Jeep.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

redmist

I was reading a Car and Driver magazine and they had an article on one of the new BMW's M-5???  Anyhow, they said that BMW now uses the stock stereo to make an "engine noise" to better stimulate your senses during driving...  wow, haah!
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Ghoste

You're kidding, have we really come to that? :o :rotz:

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on August 09, 2012, 12:41:30 AM
You're kidding, have we really come to that? :o :rotz:

Who you kidding Ghoste, we been doing that for years .....What's the old saying, "If it don't go, chrome it"...Well, if it don't give you the raw feel of performance, hell turn the radio up a bit.... :rofl:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Quote from: Troy on August 08, 2012, 11:44:29 PM
:icon_bs: I'll believe it when you show me copies of the bill and dyno sheet. So I did my own research on that Jeep:

That short block is $5,400 + an $1,100 core. Add in another $1,450 for additional machine work according to their site. No details on the heads but they mentioned $4,000 in a discussion. A similar Arrington 426 (used in one of their other feature Jeeps or previously in this one) lists for $17k complete. The rear diff is $6,500, axles are $950, and drive shaft is $850. The transmission is $5,250, torque converter is $979, and transfer case is $2,150. The fuel hat is $990 with pumps, intake is $1,500, and throttle body is $1,259.

Figuring just the block and heads (which makes it $5k cheaper than the Arrington) that all comes to just over $32k. Add in your $13k twin turbo kit to your $60k Jeep and you're hovering at $105k - without labor. A shop I talked to recently gets about $2,200 for an engine swap. Machin shop labor around here is about $800 for engine assembly. I can't really put a price on the 10 point cage, after market wheels, sticky tires, upgraded MAP sensor (and probably oxygen sensors) but I'd bet it isn't cheaper than an additional $5k. When you're done you have to run it on race gas. My numbers may have been off a tad but not nearly as far off as you think.

It's still a fat pig (over 5,000 pounds) and looks like a cracker box on wheels. That much money would buy every car in my garage without looking as cool as any one of them - and I have one for every day of the week! I know of several cars on this site that run only slightly slower and you could probably build all of them for the cost of that one Jeep.

Troy

'ol "Negative Nancy" here....

AMEN....For my $105K it better come with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and maybe a backyard cause I'd have to live in it. And people say you those FAST guys aren't all rich....That SRT8 Jeep sure looks "Stock", but runs like hell. If the Jeep owner isn't loaded, he's doing it the American way it seems these days, jamming everything on Credit cards, playing while it lasts, then bankrupts everything. I refuse to do that, and if that causes me to live a "Sliver" of the life, then so be it. At least everything I got is paid for.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Scaregrabber on August 08, 2012, 09:08:57 PM

I hear ya. 12.44 really sucks.  :smilielol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFbxZZtywZ0&feature=player_embedded#!

adauto

Quote from: Cooter on August 08, 2012, 11:21:05 AM

There's something "Primal" about that feeling of "oh sh*t", I coulda f*cked up there. This thing is dangerous!"....

Cooter said it all right here. And boy its fun!
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

1969chargerrtse

:RantExplode:
Quote from: Cooter on August 09, 2012, 01:50:06 AM
Quote from: Troy on August 08, 2012, 11:44:29 PM

Troy

I
'ol "Negative Nancy" here....

AMEN....For my $105K it better come with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and maybe a backyard cause I'd have to live in it. And people say you those FAST guys aren't all rich....That SRT8 Jeep sure looks "Stock", but runs like hell. If the Jeep owner isn't loaded, he's doing it the American way it seems these days, jamming everything on Credit cards, playing while it lasts, then bankrupts everything. I refuse to do that, and if that causes me to live a "Sliver" of the life, then so be it. At least everything I got is paid for.
I don't think going bankrupt is as much fun anymore. I think laws changed whereas you can claim bankrupt but have to pay everything back in a long term plan. No more free ticket.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

skip68

DON'T FORGET TRACTION CONTROL AND TIRES AND GEARING!  
Take a 69 hemi Charger, put the same rear gears, same modern tranny, same tires and traction control as a new Challenger or anything and see what happens.   I'd bet that old 426 hemi Charger wins.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

What's the torque numbers on some of these high horsepower engines?   I've seen high HP motors that make low torque. ???   
Remember, torque is what moves you.