News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trouble with Holley Carb flooding

Started by GPULLER, August 07, 2012, 09:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPULLER

I got involved with a project at work and its driving me nuts.
We have a customers T-bucket with a small block GM a tunnel ram and 2 Holley 4160 450cfm 4bbls.  We replaced the mechanical fuel pump with a low pressure electrical pump, rebuilt the carbs.  The car ran fairly good when it came to the shop it was a little on the rich side.  The person who rebuilt the carbs doesn't work here anymore.
When I got involved the carbs were rebuilt and installed back on the car, when it runs it will flood the right bank of cylinders to the point that fuel is running out the headers.  I took carbs back off, took them a part cleaned them again, new needle and seats, power valve, gaskets, accel pump diaphragms.  Put the carbs back on and the same deal, flooding the right banks.  Had the float levels set on the low side to be safe, still no change.  Pulled carbs again and checked the floats to see if they had holes or were fuel soaked.  They seem fine.
There is no fuel coming out the bowl vents, had the carbs spaced off the intake with the fuel pump running and there is no fuel running out of the bottom.
Got a fuel pressure regulator and set it up with a gauge, ran fuel pressure anywhere from 1lb to 3lbs and still no change.  Pump alone has 6.5psi.
Talked to the Holley tech line yesterday, they were no help, "HUH, that's a new one, haven't had that happen"
Anything you guys know of that I might be overlooking? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reed

FLG

GPULLER

Quote from: FLG on August 07, 2012, 09:33:23 AM
Whats the pressure on the pump?

The pump will put out 6.5psi, thats the way it was run at first.  Now I have a regulator in line, running it at 1psi to 3psi with no change.

Cooter

Are the Holley's Mounted SIDEWAYS or INLINE?

I can only assume that they are inline, but I have a Tunnel ram set up where twin 750 DP's are mounted sideways and Only ONE side has the idle from both carbs, even though there is a four corner idle, it loads one side of engine.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

GPULLER

Quote from: Cooter on August 07, 2012, 11:05:00 AM
Are the Holley's Mounted SIDEWAYS or INLINE?

I can only assume that they are inline, but I have a Tunnel ram set up where twin 750 DP's are mounted sideways and Only ONE side has the idle from both carbs, even though there is a four corner idle, it loads one side of engine.

Mounted inline.  4160's dont have 4 corner idle, I could see there that could be a problem.

Cooter

Well, with that, hard to say if it isn't pulling fuel over the Veturies at idle. You say it floods when? When you romp on it, or at idle?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chryco Psycho

I assume the tunnel ram has a common plenum , not an IR set up given the carbs go not have 4 corner ilde ?
how much vacuum is it making & what powervalves are in them ?

firefighter3931

It sounds like the power valve is opening or has a hole in it (blown)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

GPULLER

Power valve was fresh out of the rebuild kit, could have a hole in it I suppose.  Don't know how much vacuum, havent had it running good enough to check it.

GPULLER

Good news!
Had the wrong metering block gaskets.  Thanks for all your help!

firefighter3931

Quote from: GPULLER on August 08, 2012, 03:18:39 PM
Good news!

Good catch !  :2thumbs:

You're not the first to make that mistake  :whistling: :haha:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

GPULLER

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 08, 2012, 06:31:42 PM
Quote from: GPULLER on August 08, 2012, 03:18:39 PM
Good news!

Good catch !  :2thumbs:

You're not the first to make that mistake  :whistling: :haha:

Ron

They were supposed to have been "rebuilt" by the former employee.  Since they were the blue reuseable gaskets I just put them back in.  My stupid mistake for no double checking.