News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Recent oil change - not trying to reopen old fueds, but was funny and sad

Started by randy73, August 06, 2012, 11:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

Took my car to Firestone for an oil change(they had a special), while waiting for my car, I could not help but overhear one customer telling another that he could ruin his engine by not changing the oil every 3k miles. Normally I do not get into these types of arguments, but the guy seemed very sure of his facts, so I asked him why he thought that and proceeded to tell me his mechanic told him that and he had read up on it and that many engines fail for lack of frequent oil changes and that oil actually goes bad over time. That is when I started laughing (loudly), when he finally finished is quote, I asked him who his mechanic was and where he worked (wanted to avoid him). He said he was the manager of a oil change shop (leaving the name out on purpose), now I was was chuckling so hard my sides hurt.

Save your money and go by what the owners manual says, the 3,000 miles was from when the roads were dirt and there was no detergents in oil. Nowadays oil has detergents, filters are better and you can go 5,000 - 18,000 miles(diesels) between oil changes, even Jiffy lube is backing off the 3,000 mile interval, below is a recent story, not what GM spokeswoman says.

Share on emailShare on printShare on redditMore Sharing Services

>

>
Debunking the 3,000 mile oil change myth
JOSH MAX
Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"Lather, rinse and repeat," says the label on shampoo bottles, but some say the "repeat" part is a ploy by shampoo companies to get you to use up the product, and buy more, of course. Now, some are saying the same about motor oil – that the old adage of "Change your oil every 3,000 miles" isn't a hard and fast rule, but rather a way for oil companies to increase profits at the public's expense – and pollute the earth while doing so.   Edmunds.com reports that Americans waste something like $1,850 over the lifetime of a vehicle by getting rid of perfectly good oil.  "Although the average car's oil change interval is around 7,800 miles — and as high as 20,000 miles in some cars,"  the site reported last July, "This wasteful cycle continues largely because the automotive service industry, while fully aware of the technological advances, continues to preach the 3,000-mile gospel as a way to keep the service bays busy. As a result, even the most cautious owners are dumping their engine oil twice as often as their service manuals recommend." Another reason carowners take their vehicles in for oil changes more frequently is because that's just about all anyone can do to service a modern car.  Cars used to be owner-friendly repair-wise, but a look under the hood of any engine today reveals a tight space that doesn't allow for much, if any, home tinkering. "I used to love to work on my car," says Tom Pistone of Bay Ridge. "Used to change spark plugs, replace the air cleaner, change my own oil.  Now you void the warranty if you mess around down there. Cars definitely work better today but they're not as much fun.  You change the oil to feel like you're helping your car along and run better. It's psychological as much as anything." There isn't any doubt that engine oil changes are vital to the smooth operation of a car, but some automakers are now recommending changes in as many as 10,000 miles. "Oil-change intervals are determined by operating conditions and driver habits, not by miles driven — busting the 3,000-mile oil-change myth," says GM spokeswoman Pam Flores.

JiffyLube, one of the country's best known oil-changing businesses, hasn't explicitly defended the 3,000-mile rule, but they have capitulated to the changing trend by offering customers a diagnostic service combining driver's habits and the instructions in their owner's manuals to determine whether or not an oil change is necessary.

randy73

Like I said, not trying to tell people what to do, but I would like people to get as much information as possible. Besides, if people want to change oil every 3k miles and it makes them happy, then I am happy. I own shares of 2 oil companies.  :icon_smile_big:

twodko

It's my understanding that because oil has detergent in it, the more frequent oil changes are the harder it is on gaskets, seals etc.

Standing by for hammering....in 3 2 1.....
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Brightyellow69rtse

I change my oil in my daily every 6k ish. I use synthetic and a pure one filter. Id prolly go longer but I dint trust the filter any longer than that. Rather then just replace the filter I just do a complete change.  180k miles on her so far.

Troy

Another thing to think about...

fuel injected, computer-controlled vehicles run much more efficiently. The cylinder walls aren't constantly being "washed down" with fuel from a poorly adjusted carburetor (or one that's set up for WOT but still has to idle once in a while). All this contaminates the oil which means you have to change it more often. Newer cars aren't subject to this so the interval can get longer.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

tan top

Quote from: Troy on August 06, 2012, 01:26:42 PM

fuel injected, computer-controlled vehicles run much more efficiently. The cylinder walls aren't constantly being "washed down" with fuel from a poorly adjusted carburetor (or one that's set up for WOT but still has to idle once in a while). All this contaminates the oil which means you have to change it more often. Newer cars aren't subject to this so the interval can get longer.

Troy

:yesnod: yeah thats true
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Troy on August 06, 2012, 01:26:42 PM

On some of my computer-controlled fuel-injected vehicles the drained oil smells strongly of gasoline when I change the oil at 2000 miles. They aren't running richer than intended because they get the exact mileage the sticker predicted.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bobs66440

Both Infiniti and Hyundai recommend 7500 miles between changes for my G35 and Sonata for all but the most extreme driving habits, which covers most of the population. I take it to 5000 miles on both.

My wife used to change the oil on her Nissan Maxima every 10,000 mile whether it needed it or not  :lol: Last I saw, it was pushing 300,000 miles!  :2thumbs:

I change the oil in most of my cars every 3,000 miles with quality synthetics probably due to habit. All are carbureted and I do drive them hard from time to time.

In my 30yo daily beater I'll sometimes push it to 5,000 and that gets semi-synthetic. After 3K miles the oil is usually still amber.

1974dodgecharger

i drive a beater a 89 land cruiser with over 300k miles on it and I change the oil every 12k miles  :brickwall: or just recently I changed it after one year and I drove it roughly 12k miles for last year.

Im trying to kill the engine on purpose..............

bull

I think it would help if the term "extreme driving conditions" was less ambiguous.

bobs66440

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 06, 2012, 10:31:20 PM
i drive a beater a 89 land cruiser with over 300k miles on it and I change the oil every 12k miles  :brickwall: or just recently I changed it after one year and I drove it roughly 12k miles for last year.

Im trying to kill the engine on purpose..............
It doesn't look like it's working :lol:

Cooter

'Ya know, it never fails.....There's always a few people that try and assume they are smarter.....

3000 mile oil changes are a "Myth"?...Well, if you feel that you can get away with changing your oil every 10K miles then go right ahead. No one will stop you. As for the rest that you seem to want to "Understand" your plite, I have personally seen driving habits cause all kinds of hell when it comes to regular service intervals, and sh*t will blow up from lack of regular oil changes.

Just because you assume EVERBODY drives in the same conditions as YOU, you laugh at the guy that believes he should change his oil every 3000 miles. This is the SAD and FUNNY part in reallity. You assume that NOBODY lives in dusty, dirt roads anymore? NOBODY fires up automobiles and drives a short 2 miles to work before the engine even has a chance to go into "Closed Loop".(READ CHOKE for newer cars is "Open loop"....LOADING the engine with fuel??)??
YOU assume that EVERYBODY runs the BEST motor oil out there, and NOBODY runs that cheap ass, watered down, refined, bullsh*t they call oil today?
Oh and let's add insult to injury here by stating across the board that YOU assume that EVERYBODY changes their oil regualrly at say 8K miles? I've changed people oil, put a reminder in the windshield for 3K miles and see that vehicle back with over 20K miles on the oil (Gas engines). The worst was 35K miles on the oil (GAS ENGINE). YOU assume this doesn't happen? The REAL Reason why these intervals are being "Upped" is because new car manufacturers want you to buy another one, and their "J.D.Power" and Assoc. Rating of cost of ownership shows cheaper.

IF you tell the general public it's "ok" to change you oil at 10K miles...They won't do it for 25K miles and YOU know it. People are procrastinators today[READ: NO TIME FOR ANYTHING BUT THEMMSELVES AND B*TCHING WHEN THEY BLOW SOMETHING UP]. Therefore, there is a Hidden reason for the 3K mile oil change "Myth", even if you are too ignorant to see it and can only laugh at what you don't understand.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

cooter true story my friends X wife took his little honda civic DX hatchback in the divorce she drove it 40k miles WITH NO OIL CHANGES!!!! she bought a new car after one year and handed back his little junker...well  years later it still runs like a champ It was a 1989 I believe. The car already had seen his miles when he bought it in 97 I believe. In the end she gave it back to him with 190k miles on it.

Yes driving conditions do vary I would hate for a drag car to change his miles every 3k.....

randy73

Quote from: Cooter on August 07, 2012, 06:51:03 AM
'Ya know, it never fails.....There's always a few people that try and assume they are smarter.....

3000 mile oil changes are a "Myth"?...Well, if you feel that you can get away with changing your oil every 10K miles then go right ahead. No one will stop you. As for the rest that you seem to want to "Understand" your plite, I have personally seen driving habits cause all kinds of hell when it comes to regular service intervals, and sh*t will blow up from lack of regular oil changes.

Just because you assume EVERBODY drives in the same conditions as YOU, you laugh at the guy that believes he should change his oil every 3000 miles. This is the SAD and FUNNY part in reallity. You assume that NOBODY lives in dusty, dirt roads anymore? NOBODY fires up automobiles and drives a short 2 miles to work before the engine even has a chance to go into "Closed Loop".(READ CHOKE for newer cars is "Open loop"....LOADING the engine with fuel??)??
YOU assume that EVERYBODY runs the BEST motor oil out there, and NOBODY runs that cheap ass, watered down, refined, bullsh*t they call oil today?
Oh and let's add insult to injury here by stating across the board that YOU assume that EVERYBODY changes their oil regualrly at say 8K miles? I've changed people oil, put a reminder in the windshield for 3K miles and see that vehicle back with over 20K miles on the oil (Gas engines). The worst was 35K miles on the oil (GAS ENGINE). YOU assume this doesn't happen? The REAL Reason why these intervals are being "Upped" is because new car manufacturers want you to buy another one, and their "J.D.Power" and Assoc. Rating of cost of ownership shows cheaper.

IF you tell the general public it's "ok" to change you oil at 10K miles...They won't do it for 25K miles and YOU know it. People are procrastinators today[READ: NO TIME FOR ANYTHING BUT THEMMSELVES AND B*TCHING WHEN THEY BLOW SOMETHING UP]. Therefore, there is a Hidden reason for the 3K mile oil change "Myth", even if you are too ignorant to see it and can only laugh at what you don't understand.

Did you sit on your shifter???

I did not ASSume anything, I stated that it was funny that a person would listen to guy at the oil change shop and not check facts, that is the sad part.

Also, I just reprinted a article, I did not say the article applied to 100% of the people. I figured people would be smart enough to figure if the article applied to them or not, guess I was wrong there!!!
I have had 5 cars in the last 20 yrs, volvo was at 335k when I sold it, GMC van went to 230k before it met a dump truck and my vette was at 203k when I sold it and my 300z was at 213k when I sold it.

So before you start spouting crap, check your facts.

Cooter

Quote from: randy73 on August 07, 2012, 10:19:49 AM

my vette was at 203k when I sold it

Wow, and how did I just know you owned a Vette at some point.. :smilielol:..Take it easy there Skippy, I was counter offering another view to your "Myth" of a 3K mile oil change. Afterall, If it's found and quoted off the internet, it jsut has to factual and true.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

randy73

Quote from: Cooter on August 07, 2012, 11:12:00 AM
Quote from: randy73 on August 07, 2012, 10:19:49 AM

my vette was at 203k when I sold it

Wow, and how did I just know you owned a Vette at some point.. :smilielol:..Take it easy there Skippy, I was counter offering another view to your "Myth" of a 3K mile oil change. Afterall, If it's found and quoted off the internet, it jsut has to factual and true.

First off, you attacked me, so do not tell me to take it easy. You made it seem like I wrote the article and I did not, NY Daily News wrote the article.
Also, I stated that everybody should do as they want and that I wanted people to know that you cannot believe what somebody tells you, especially if it is a product they are selling.

It is not 'MY' 3k mile myth, so pull the shifter out and take the thread for what it is, just a funny story about people who believe anything they are told, which is kind of sad.

Kern Dog

A383Wing

I'm pushing 60 years old here...I change the oil in all my cars at 3K each....yea, even the wifes '03 PT Cruiser....so I spend a little more than necessary each year on oil & filter than what the manuals say for oil change mileage intervals....call me old school I guess

Bryan

charger Downunder

My 92 240 volvo is coming up to 380,000 km new filter and oil every 10,000 km still going strong.
[/quote]

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Cooter

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on August 08, 2012, 10:21:36 PM
Cooter, take your meds. You're getting annoying again.
:blahblah:  To quote one of my favorite bands lyrics....

"I got the boys to make the noise
Won't ever let up
Hope it annoys you
Join the pack
Fill the crack
Well now you're here
There's no way back"