News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuild costs engine....

Started by 1974dodgecharger, August 05, 2012, 12:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Looking to rebuild an engine in my free time (I have alot of free time), but need to get a cost estimate down.  Im having a blank on the cleaning, honing, blueprinting, etc...co workers told me it will costs 2k for all this?

cost:
blue printing, cleaning, etc.-???
parts for rebuild at 440source.com-2k
heads-1k
other parts oil pan, pump, etc.-1k

So roughly 4k to 5k total would be safe to say for a rebuild?

FLG

What are you looking to do with this car? What engine? HP goals?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: FLG on August 05, 2012, 04:18:58 AM
What are you looking to do with this car? What engine? HP goals?

600HP with blower....(something I been talking way too much about).

Looking for street driving no racing at all. 440 engine.....

The machining turned me off after a co worker told it will cost roughly 2k just for the machining and the blueprinting.

Parts are gonna come fro 440 source.com

c00nhunterjoe

No blueprinting, 440 source is supposed to be balanced and ready to go.  To bore should be no more then 200 bucks.  To bore, hot tank, and assemble should be less then 700 bucks.

Brightyellow69rtse

my machine shop bill was 2400. everything was cleaned, crank ground, bored and honed with the torque plates. had the new pistons put on the new rods and had it balanced.  i also had them put the pistons in the engine. i took care of the rest.

67_Dodge_Charger

Regardless where you get your parts the motor will need to be balanced and checked for clearances (blueprinted).  Do you have the blower setup?  I would make sure the block can handle the horse power.  You will be spending at least $2k on machine work, I did 6 years ago so check prices.  You may find that you are more in the $7k to $8k range for a cheap blower motor. :cheers:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 67_Dodge_Charger on August 05, 2012, 07:51:23 PM
Regardless where you get your parts the motor will need to be balanced and checked for clearances (blueprinted).  Do you have the blower setup?  I would make sure the block can handle the horse power.  You will be spending at least $2k on machine work, I did 6 years ago so check prices.  You may find that you are more in the $7k to $8k range for a cheap blower motor. :cheers:

that what I was afraid of and my co workers told me the same thing I just wanted more opininons on the machining and blue printing.

For a cheap blower superchargerusa.com has a 440 blower 6-71 for 3900 bucks or so as a complete kit. 

Im more worried about the machine work itself, parts no worries, blower no worries. The machine work is what is putting me over the edge.

I just wanted it cleaned, plugged, and I can put in the work on the engine itself and buy the pistons from 440source.com to get a 8:1 compression roughly to handle the blower.

original thought was jjust to put the blower on a stock 440 as I posted a couple months ago and blow the engine up  ::) ;)

Cooter

One thing you got to remember is there really is no such thing as a "Cheap" blower motor. You'll spend over $3K on a blower (that IMO,really is of no real use without high boost levels and an intercooler to make it worth the extra money), yet, you cringe at $2K worth of machine work?  Machine work is what keeps racing engines alive. NOT blowers. I know, I know, you stated you won't be racing it? an $8K blower motor and you won't be racing it......Better to have the piece of mind that it is machined correctly instead of hearing the big "Ka-boom" at the big end.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

My mistake, I thought the blower motor was a joke.....  :slap:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 06, 2012, 04:47:23 PM
My mistake, I thought the blower motor was a joke.....  :slap:

I dont like to joke whe it comes to 'blowers'  :popcrn:

Challenger340

IMO....Who says 440 source ANYTHING is OK right outa the Box ? First thing to do is have it checked by someone who can RECOGNIZE what decent Machining/Blueprinting is ?
~25% of the time, that ain't so OOTB, and the Balancing is a "close" as in playing Horseshoes and Hand Grenades.
And yes...while it is true that Shiat WILL run....and vibrate a bit....I think a 600hp street engine might wanna be a little closer to "puss".

:Twocents:
$2K is CHEAP to have anybody any good handle the Cleaning, Boring & Honing with T/Plate, R & R Cam Brgs, frost & gallery Plugs, Square up the Block decks for the BOOST so the head gaskets stay put....Align Hone the Mains because your MAIN STUDS(you are using main studs @ 600hp right ?) will distort the main Caps at Torque, Pin-Fit the Pistons & Rods(again BLOWER Application), and generally "set" proper clearances throughout the Engine for you...
and that,
is AFTER they have measured the 440 Source stuff to see if it is even "useable" as OOTB Machined.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Challenger340

Just a question......
you are NOT thinking of ever switching Pulleys to go to an Overdrive condition on "special" power occasions are you ?
Whack it "up" a bit once in awhile ?

If you are, better get an extra 1/4" keyway machined in the Cranksnout 180* from the stock keyway, and a matching receiver in the Balancer lest ya twist that off, then re-Balance the 440 Source "balance" job properly.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 06, 2012, 10:39:57 PM
Just a question......
you are NOT thinking of ever switching Pulleys to go to an Overdrive condition on "special" power occasions are you ?
Whack it "up" a bit once in awhile ?

If you are, better get an extra 1/4" keyway machined in the Cranksnout 180* from the stock keyway, and a matching receiver in the Balancer lest ya twist that off, then re-Balance the 440 Source "balance" job properly.

no special power occassions the blower will be more for looks than actual super horespower. Ill be happy at 600 to be honest dont think I would want to go over that since I want it streetable for daily driver status also.

It seems doing all this (rebuild the engine) does not seem worth it? when I can buy an engine from Als toy engine barn for 14k a 440 with blower on it already.
http://www.bigalstoybox.com/turnkey.htm

FLG

You dont need a blower to achieve 600 hp.

A well built 440 can do 520-530 and be very streetable, add some stroke and you can hit 600+ no blower required.

Good example,

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,93595.0.html

Mancini sells some nicely priced stroker kits.

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 07, 2012, 12:35:20 AM

no special power occassions the blower will be more for looks than actual super horespower. Ill be happy at 600 to be honest dont think I would want to go over that since I want it streetable for daily driver status also.

It seems doing all this (rebuild the engine) does not seem worth it? when I can buy an engine from Als toy engine barn for 14k a 440 with blower on it already.

This is where you make your first mistake. Old school Blowers and 600 HP Daily driven??? Just because "Big AL" sells a complete engine does'nt mean you will be able to "Drive-it-daily"...But you go ahead and try it. We'll see you back on here asking why it blew up. Daily driven has a HP limit BTW.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

come on cooter seriously I know your always negative nancy  :icon_smile_big: but my driving habits are like that of a grandma. Seriously In my life with 3 chargers, sport car imports, I have never, never, ever done a burn out!!!!

This is true...I have never done a burn out or raced from a dead stop. I have done highway racing when going 60 then seeing who can get the edge for those 5 secs, but thats it and I done that twice in my life that I can remember.

its all about looks to me...nothing more.  I know a guy at work he bought a 50k super bike (forgot which one) and the bike has a top speed of 200mph, but he does not and I mean does not even take it past 65mph and he has had it for 5 years now.
Quote from: Cooter on August 07, 2012, 06:25:17 AM

This is where you make your first mistake. Old school Blowers and 600 HP Daily driven??? Just because "Big AL" sells a complete engine does'nt mean you will be able to "Drive-it-daily"...But you go ahead and try it. We'll see you back on here asking why it blew up. Daily driven has a HP limit BTW.

Challenger340

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 08, 2012, 04:34:48 AM
come on cooter seriously I know your always negative nancy  :icon_smile_big: but my driving habits are like that of a grandma. Seriously In my life with 3 chargers, sport car imports, I have never, never, ever done a burn out!!!!

This is true...I have never done a burn out or raced from a dead stop. I have done highway racing when going 60 then seeing who can get the edge for those 5 secs, but thats it and I done that twice in my life that I can remember.

its all about looks to me...nothing more.  I know a guy at work he bought a 50k super bike (forgot which one) and the bike has a top speed of 200mph, but he does not and I mean does not even take it past 65mph and he has had it for 5 years now.
Quote from: Cooter on August 07, 2012, 06:25:17 AM

I guess I am in the same "Negative Nancy" club as Cooter here ?

Seems to be a bit of inconsistency in that....on one hand you claim to drive like a "Grandma" and only want the Blower for "looks"....but on the other hand you would be happy with a mere "600hp" that lives on the Street ?? but that you will NEVER use ???
So,
just go get a junkyard engine, Bolt on your Blower and go...no big deal.
I think EVERYBODY should do just that, if they are so inclined.

However, IMO, if you think it's gonna live forever......well...... all I am saying is that there are very valid reasons for Good Blueprinting & Machining procedures on 600hp Blown 440 Street Engines.....
and thinking otherwise...
is just pure folly.

Good Luck in your endeavor...I sincerely hope things work out well for you.

BSB67

"Seems to be a bit of inconsistency in that....on one hand you claim to drive like a "Grandma" and only want the Blower for "looks"....but on the other hand you would be happy with a mere "600hp" that lives on the Street ?? but that you will NEVER use
So,
just go get a junkyard engine, Bolt on your Blower and go...no big deal.
I think EVERYBODY should do just that, if they are so inclined."

I agree.  Those that want xxx hp, but will never tune it and run it at the track, I ask why?  Build what is in you budget and just tell everyone it's xxx hp.  Nobody will ever know, even you.    That is what most guys do anyways

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

cdr

well i have found that for a lot of people its real easy to say my street car makes 600 hp,not so easy & have it live very long,im talkin real 600 hp not this inflated dyno crap you read about,like a 3500 lb car running 11.5 & they say its 600hp
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

BSB67

Quote from: cdr on August 08, 2012, 08:05:22 PM
well i have found that for a lot of people its real easy to say my street car makes 600 hp,not so easy & have it live very long,im talkin real 600 hp not this inflated dyno crap you read about,like a 3500 lb car running 11.5 & they say its 600hp

But it could, as et is a poor means for determining hp.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

cdr

Quote from: BSB67 on August 08, 2012, 09:03:19 PM

i know that ,let me correct myself 11.5 @114
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

FLG

Just curious, are you a young guy?

Reason i ask is, if you havent driven a high hp car...not to mention a high hp car that handles like crap...you might not want to see how good your skills are with your charger. Honestly if you dont care about racing, build a mild 383 or 440 and call it a day. Theres no point in 600 hp if you dont use it. And if your going to use it, being that you havent had time behind such a powerful car, it might be wise to take some professional driving courses. Heck even if you dont plan on really racing, but have the occasional "fun" having 600 hp on tap and not knowing how to use it will get your wrapped around a pole very quickly.

Cooter

come on cooter seriously I know your always negative nancy  :icon_smile_big: but my driving habits are like that of a grandma. Seriously In my life with 3 chargers, sport car imports, I have never, never, ever done a burn out!!!!

its all about looks to me...nothing more.  I know a guy at work he bought a 50k super bike (forgot which one) and the bike has a top speed of 200mph, but he does not and I mean does not even take it past 65mph and he has had it for 5 years now.

"Negative Nancy"? Um..No....Reallistic Ralph is more like it. You sound like a young gun to me, so I figured I'd save you the trouble of spending money on a combo that you "Claim" you won't ever use, yet you want 600 HP. C'mon guy, who you kidding. Anybody with ANY car blood in their body wants 600 HP for a reason. I got out of the fake-out games back in grade school. (You know, telling everybody about your dad's 900 HP 426 Hemi Roadrunner that sits in your grandmother's barn, yet no one has ever seen it?)..It would seem that I'm not alone in this thinking either. Sooner or later you knowing all that power is under the hood(err, out of the hood??), you WILL call on it and when you do, you better hope it's reliable and right. Sorry for trying to help 'ya...If you haven't figured it out yet, I don't sugar coat anything. Straight up and to the point.

BSB67

Quote from: cdr on August 08, 2012, 09:28:44 PM
Quote from: BSB67 on August 08, 2012, 09:03:19 PM

i know that ,let me correct myself 11.5 @114

exactly

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

1974dodgecharger

hahaha..no cooter dont take it the wrong way man I appreciate your help. I once built a rock crawler vehicle and guess what NEVER WENT ROCK CRAWLING  ::) spent 65k on it and never once saw a rock so big it had to climb it.

I wish I was young like you..... ;)
Quote from: Cooter on August 09, 2012, 01:36:08 AM

"Negative Nancy"? Um..No....Reallistic Ralph is more like it. You sound like a young gun to me, so I figured I'd save you the trouble of spending money on a combo that you "Claim" you won't ever use, yet you want 600 HP. C'mon guy, who you kidding. Anybody with ANY car blood in their body wants 600 HP for a reason. I got out of the fake-out games back in grade school. (You know, telling everybody about your dad's 900 HP 426 Hemi Roadrunner that sits in your grandmother's barn, yet no one has ever seen it?)..It would seem that I'm not alone in this thinking either. Sooner or later you knowing all that power is under the hood(err, out of the hood??), you WILL call on it and when you do, you better hope it's reliable and right. Sorry for trying to help 'ya...If you haven't figured it out yet, I don't sugar coat anything. Straight up and to the point.

lasvegas69charg

I just got a quote from a shop...parts(eldbrock heads/intake, quick fuel carb, ready to run msd, cam, roller rockers, oil pan, pistons and all the misc parts) came up to $5k and machine work came to $2k totaling $7k.  My engine is a 383 and I told him I would like to see around 450ish hp. This also included dyno time.  Hope this helps...
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

tsmithae

I did the tear-down and rebuild myself and had the machine shop tank, clean, and bore the block to .040 over, do a valve job, and do a complete inspection and cleaning of all components and my total was around 2500-3000 when all was said and done (no, this didn't include carb, headers, etc, just pistons, rings, gaskets, valves, springs, cam, bearings....).
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

randy73

National cylinder head rebuilder's will rebuild an engine for $1700(you deliver engine), they will hone, hot tank it and search for cracks. They will put on any part you bring to them, but it must be in a ready to install state. I used them for my vette and have no complaints, dropped off the engine and picked it up about 11-12 days later, they bored it .30 over and they swapped my heads and got it ready to install, they even marked TDC and set the engine to TDC (LT1 does not have a TDC mark) and best of all they painted the engine, wasn't great but it was a DD, so I did not care.

They are all over the place, so chances are they are near you. Also, for porting, blue printing and them balancing your crank and stuff, they charge EXTRA. But head porting was pretty reasonable for $400 and replacing several valves.