News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Frankfort Indiana junkyard rant

Started by smasherofall, February 08, 2006, 11:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smasherofall

A buddy and I went to this junkyard last saturday that we checked out a couple years ago that has several old mopars. We found about four 2nd gen's there, about 3 or 4 roadrunners, 4 e-bodies a couple 60's barracudas. Also found a nice grill in a coronet that would be great for a 69 500. So, we go up to ask the guy what he wants for several things, what he said we couldn't believe: 2 69 roadrunner fenders, already removed from car, with several rust holes, $400 a piece; 2 bucket seats and floor shifter out of 67 barracuda, $700; asked about tail lights out of 70 charger, wouldn't sell, has guy wanting all chargers (said same thing 2 years ago) hlpag maybe? I was afraid to ask about coronet grill  :o . We told him he was a little high on the prices, so he asked my buddy how much he was thinking on the fenders. "I was gonna offer $50 a piece since they had a bunch of rust holes in them." His responce "I'd just as soon run over them with my truck and send them to the crusher for that price!" me being the smart ass, I offered to go get them so we could watch him do it  :devil:

DFS68_Charger

Sounds like the same yard and guy that a buddy of mine recenly visited and bought parts for his 67 Mustang.
I'll have to ask him if it was in Frankfort.

DFS

Blown70

Quote from: smasherofall on February 08, 2006, 11:30:27 AM
A buddy and I went to this junkyard last saturday that we checked out a couple years ago that has several old mopars. We found about four 2nd gen's there, about 3 or 4 roadrunners, 4 e-bodies a couple 60's barracudas. Also found a nice grill in a coronet that would be great for a 69 500. So, we go up to ask the guy what he wants for several things, what he said we couldn't believe: 2 69 roadrunner fenders, already removed from car, with several rust holes, $400 a piece; 2 bucket seats and floor shifter out of 67 barracuda, $700; asked about tail lights out of 70 charger, wouldn't sell, has guy wanting all chargers (said same thing 2 years ago) hlpag maybe? I was afraid to ask about coronet grillĀ  :o . We told him he was a little high on the prices, so he asked my buddy how much he was thinking on the fenders. "I was gonna offer $50 a piece since they had a bunch of rust holes in them." His responce "I'd just as soon run over them with my truck and send them to the crusher for that price!" me being the smart ass, I offered to go get them so we could watch him do itĀ  :devil:

Sadly I have known guys to do just that.  Crush rather than save.  As they do not care.  I lost a really good 70 to this method.  Also understand that sometimes the compaines that do this will just come in and crush the owner gets paid x-amount.  And these guys then go to work.  And do not stop.  I have seen 150 cars done it two days.  YES TWO DAYS....  Nothing special or mopar but good lord... WOW.

I really think I wll be a smart ass to the next joker that tells me HE IS GUNNA FIXER UP SOMEDAY...... :rotz:

Tom

Old Moparz

There's a yard in New Jersey with guy at the front desk that has an attitude like that. (G.I. Salvage in Pinebrook - Bunch of A-holes.) I once pulled some parts & brought them up to the desk & asked how much? He rattled off a few prices, but the one was particularly high, a tail light housing.

I told him "I bought the same type part for another car here recently for a lot less."

He said, "If it's too much, don't buy it." And then pitched it into the trash can behind him where it hit the rim of the can & shattered the lens into pieces.

I said to him, "Have fun throwing all this other crap away too shithead." I left it on his desk & walked out. It was stuff I could have saved as spare parts, but it didn't kill me to leave it. This was about 10 or 12 years ago, & don't know if he's still there. Hope not, I want to go poke around in there some Saturday morning.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TK73

Lessee, your "average" yard guy with an attitude like that sure isn't on the upper side of the bell curve and probably has some "control" issues because JennieSue wouldn't put out on prom night...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

moparguy01

there was a small yard in Kansas that had a 69 roadrunner. 383 auto car, someone had hacked up the floor bad to put a 4 speed in it. and it had the rear end HOUSING. i was needing a 2nd gen B body housing so i asked how much, and i got "Well that there is a roadrunner rear end, i was told they're real hard to find, so i couldnt let it go for less than 800." keep in mind this was the HOUSING, no axles, no lines, no chunk, nothing.

i didnt bother saying anything i just left.

hemihead

I worked in 3 Salvage Yards and I don't blame them for their attitudes.You guys have no idea what it is like to deal with the Weekend Auto Experts.You shouldn't criticize them when they have to deal with some of the John Q. Public out there.As far as prices go, just like many members who sell parts here say ' Buy it somewhere else'.It goes back to the same scenerio,what you want is worth nothing , what you have is gold.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

twilt

Thats probably why the guy actually still has some old mopar parts/cars. If he priced them reasonably, they probably would have alll been sold
or stripped a long time ago. While i do a tremendous amount of junkyarding, i steer clear of those kind of places. I would have walked after getting the 1st price quote.  I dont need them, they dont need me. With the advent of the internet and ebay in particular, there is no reason to do business with crack heads like that.

69_500

Good post here Smasherofall. I had heard that there was quite a few Mopar parts up at that yard and was planning a trip up there pretty soon. I might still go to see about the Coronet grille. Could always use an extra of those, if  the price is half way reasonable.

Old Moparz

Quote from: hemihead on February 08, 2006, 04:23:21 PM
I worked in 3 Salvage Yards and I don't blame them for their attitudes.You guys have no idea what it is like to deal with the Weekend Auto Experts.You shouldn't criticize them when they have to deal with some of the John Q. Public out there.As far as prices go, just like many members who sell parts here say ' Buy it somewhere else'.It goes back to the same scenerio,what you want is worth nothing , what you have is gold.

When it comes to the general public, I'll sympathize with you on having to deal with the ones who are clueless. That also holds true to any specialized field, not just the automotive world. When I did home improvements years ago, the people who didn't know which end of a hammer to hold were the ones that were suddenly, "the experts" when it came time to point out what they were not happy about. One woman once waited until my boss had left so she can talk down to me about how sloppy the work looked.

I politely told her that she had to wait until my boss came back to tell him, so he can correct whatever it was she was not happy about. Unlike the individual I dealt with in the junkyard who destroyed a part in front of me rather than sell it, I took the time to explain what I had done in a civilized manner with the person spending the money. If someone wants respect because they have to deal with John Q Public, I guess they should be in another line of work where they don't have to deal with the public. If you treat people like crap, you should expect the same.

I questioned why the price of the part changed significantly from the previous one I had purchased & saw no logical reason for the nimrod at the front desk to trash the part. I've had bad days & dealt with morons too, but I think this guy was just an A-hole from birth.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Chad L. Magee

Yeah, I've had the rude junkyard owner part pulled on me.  I usually pull out a wad of bills and say "I'm going to ebay....  See Ya."  That one has actually stopped one in their tracks and he even apologize later.  (Look, I know that somedays are not the best, but to take it out on everyone just prolongs the problems that come back.)  I had a couple of them that start pestering me to sell them my cars when they see what parts that I am looking for.  I just return much higher price quotes that they can't afford.  One junkyard owner was determined to get my hemi Satellite so bad, he offered me to pick from the junkyard any ten cars (it is filled with early mustangs, camaros, but most of the Mopars are DOA) that I wanted in trade for my hemi car shell.  I said "Nice try, but the answer is still no....".  He won't talk to me at the local car show anymore because of it.  Oh well, not my problem......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......