News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

first car show

Started by 68blue, August 07, 2012, 06:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68blue

Never entered a car in a car show although I've been to several, any tips? It's a local town show.

cdr

clean the blue off the tires :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

nvrbdn

hope it goes well for you. the car looks great. take some shade and chairs,and a cooler. see if they are cooking food, or if you need snacks. enjoy your self. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

68X426

Tips to have fun? - or - tips to show and win?  :scratchchin:

Fun - go with NO expectations, a comfy chair, a 6 pack, a camera, and talk to everyone. Car people are the best.

Win - present a "book" on the car's history, its current status, before and after, that sort of thing. Maybe a little late now for a "book" but even a couple pages, presented like a "resume", in a frame, helps tell the world why your car is cool. And yes, clean the blue off.

If the goal is to get a trophy, then you have to tell a story, so that a judge (or the people) feel a connection to the hard work, the heritage, or to that special something that makes YOUR Charger special.

Be prepared to be the "freak" of the show. Meaning you are likely to be the only Mopar there. A fine Charger will blow away the real car folks, you will feel the love, but ..... be prepared to feel like a freak because all the Brand X folks are generally clueless. And will just gawk and make a Lee comment and then move on.

Have fun. Post pics later.  :coolgleamA:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

twodko

What 68x426 said X2

The best tip is........have fun. Mopar folks are the top of the food chain......the rest of them are just prey.   :2thumbs:

Sweet car and remember the fun thingy.

PS nothing gets by most of these folks here.......you've got to love cdr! "clean the blue off" Now that's funny right there!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

ChgrSteve67

Display the entire car
Engine, Interior and Trunk

Some items that most people miss when they display are little things like...
Straighten out out the seat belts so they look nice on the seats and not like you just got out of the car.

Straighten your wheels and your steering wheel.

A small book of pics are usually a crowd and judge pleaser.
Either pics of your build or pictures of the land mark places your car has been.
Not too many pics, keep in mind that most people have really short attention span and anything more than about 20 or 30 pictures is too much.

I display a very short information sheet about the car. (again people have a short attention span)
See attached pic

I also use small suction cups to attach the car entrance sheet and my information sheet to the inside of the windshield.
Or clear tape but its harder to clean off.

Keep it clean and keep it simple.

Give people something to come talk to you about.

Keep in mind that judges are not experts and neither are those that go to the show as much as they might think they are.
If there is something wrong, broken or not quite correct don't say anything and don't point it out.
If someone does point something out just say "good eye", if they are wrong don't try to argure with them because you will most likely not be able to change their mind.

lastly have fun walk around and talk to all of the great people.

-Steve (just my 2 cents)

68blue

As always I appreciate the tips, I'll post some pics of the show when I get there. Did clean the blue off the tires :smilielol: and shine the car up. :coolgleamA:

billssuperbird

F8-4life

I'd take the fender tag off before any public shows, you just never know nowadays.

Paul G

If it is a judged show then you really need to clean the car up well. Interior detail, under hood detail, wheels tires and wheel wells, and inside the trunk. Everything must be clean and polished, especially under the hood. Be easy with the shiny stuff. I hate a car that is so slathered in shiny stuff you get greasy just touching it. I will deduct points for that. Pay attention to the wiring. Re tape loose ends. Clean and detailed wiring makes the car look new. Judges will look for fit and finish along with cleanliness. Unless it is an all Mopar show no one is really going to know what is correct or incorrect. Dont sweat it.

If it is a peoples choice show you don't have to get down to anal detail like you would with a judged show. People just don't look that close. What ever you do, like already stated, have fun! Car guys are great people. Your car looks great. Detail it before the show and you should do well.

Good luck.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

twodko

VIN tag is a good tip. I riveted mine on......so far no problems, knock wood.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bakerhillpins

Wow, lots of cool stuff in there.  :2thumbs:  Maybe one day I will feel good enough to show mine off with the hood open.    :icon_smile_blackeye:

Lookin forward to seeing more pics of your car!  :drool5:  :popcrn:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

wingcar

Not to sound negative, but I would also lock the glove box since you will more than likely have the windows down.  I do this, because I have left my car to talk with other owners down the row, and as others have said...you just never know.  Someone with bad intentions may like your car as much as you do and want to know where you and your car live.....

Also, if you do have to leave your car for any length of time, let the owner next to you know.....most owners will watch out for one another.....

Main thing......go to the show to enjoy yourself, not just to bring home an award (that's a nice bonus, but it's the experence that matters most...)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

hemi68charger

Show off your car and have fun.. Take a chair or two, a cooler with drinks if you can and if you're going to be around trees or fence, maybe a canopy if you can secure it properly (emphasis on properly). If you have little ones; snacks and things for them to do (games, electronic, dolls, drawing/coloring books, etc)......

DO NOT have expectations of winning..... Those with trophy-itis usually get disappointed........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

GOTWING

let us know how mant idiots ask if you are going to paint it orange  :D

Troy

Shoot, I don't clean my car, open the hood or trunk, straighten up, or carry chairs or a cooler. I just enter the car(s) so I don't have to walk very far to look at all the other cars. :D Even better if my entry fee benefits a charity! I can't sit next to my car for fear of beating some of the spectators to death. Many really have no respect for other people's property. When I get done gawking at other cars (and sometimes answering questions) I pack up and leave. Oddly enough, I've won awards in spite of my complete lack of trying. Probably makes other people a bit put off - but it's never my intention to win! Act the way you'd like other car owners to act towards you. Don't forget to have fun!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Ignore the haters and "experts" and let the "paint it orange and put a 01 on it" and "I used to have one exactly like it but it was a different color with a smaller engine and it was a four door" comments slide.  Just enjoy the day.
Bring fluids and sunscreen.  And a camera because we love pics.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on August 09, 2012, 02:05:11 PM
Ignore the haters and "experts" and let the "paint it orange and put a 01 on it" and "I used to have one exactly like it but it was a different color with a smaller engine and it was a four door" comments slide.  Just enjoy the day.
Bring fluids and sunscreen.  And a camera because we love pics.
tOTALLY AGREE !!!!  I go to at least one and usually several shows every week in the summer .  Enjoy your self and take everything anyone one says with a grain of salt ( lots of nut jobs out there) .  Except when they say they have one just like it at home but it has one of those big wings on the back .  Then get there name and address immediately and send it straight to me  ,   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :rofl:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

Yes, on Stu's notes, always follow up leads no matter how shaky because you just never know.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on August 09, 2012, 02:22:21 PM
Yes, on Stu's notes, always follow up leads no matter how shaky because you just never know.
These cars do seem to bring other out the wood work . Could be one hiding right next door you never know . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nvrbdn

i like your answer troy!! ive had the cougar to 2 shows where i enter non judge to get the good parking spot. no open hood. walk around and check everything out,and hit it when im ready. also dont buy 50-50 tickets since they dont pull a winner till trophy time.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Benji

Quote from: Ghoste on August 09, 2012, 02:22:21 PM

True story-unfortunately it is about a Chevy.  ;)  Several years ago a guy had his Yenko Nova on a trailer and stopped in Indianapolis to refuel.  When he went inside to pay the bill the guy at the counter said "my neighbor has one of those wierd Chevys like yours out behind his barn.  I know it is like yours because it has those same goofy looking stripes down the side."  So he got the name of the farmer and called him right on the spot.  He was able to buy the car shortly thereafter.

Benji

Paul G

If you get in to showing your car it becomes a real competition. I suck at sports, get bored with table games, don't really give a hoot about athletics. I get in to cars. Competition can get addicting. Just like an athlete who wants to excel over his rivals, showing your car can get competitive in the same way. I have many trophy's I have taken over the years from several cars I have owned. Been beaten out plenty of times by nicer cars as well. It is not easy to win at a judged show. If a nicer car comes along he deserves to win. It is competition, when judging is fair no one can complain. You can usually tell who has the most amount of time, effort, and money, in that order, invested in a car. Big money doesn't always win if the owner does nothing but drives it and doesn't care about how he treats it. There are plenty of those folks as well. Kind of sickening to see some one with deep pockets just run a nice car in to the ground. His money, so he can do as he pleases with it.

Peoples choice shows are a different story. The better car rarely wins. The guy with the most friends usually comes out on top. Don't expect much more than good time at that type of show. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#