News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Check this out"

Started by Charger 512, August 04, 2012, 12:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger 512

myk

That's a beautiful, drool worthy car, however I'm not sure I understand the advantages of the Isis system over, let's say, the Painless wiring system that just got installed in my car.  There's a main control/fuse center, a connection to the battery/'alt, and wires that feed the various functions of the car.  How is the Isis system any different or better than that?  

Edit: I just read over the FAQ section on the Isis page and I'm beginning to understand it all; pretty trick, IMO.  Looks like I coulda' used a 3-cell system but...that'll have to wait until the next upgrade for the car, lol...

1974dodgecharger

a show car where he does not drive it or actually put the electrical system to use in daily wear and tear  ::) Its obvious its a show car no spare tire at all....he starts it up to take it off the trailer and starts it backup to put it backin....so wiring system complete bunk.

Ghoste

I'd still much rather have a new repro of the factory wiring in my car.  If I were looking to buy one with an aftermarket "generic" style harness in there I think it could be a deal breaker for me depending on the rest of the car.  Thats just me though.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 04, 2012, 05:05:30 AM
a show car where he does not drive it or actually put the electrical system to use in daily wear and tear  ::) Its obvious its a show car no spare tire at all....he starts it up to take it off the trailer and starts it backup to put it backin....so wiring system complete bunk.

So you're saying because he doesnt have a spare in the trunk, he doesnt "drive" the car except for on & off a trailer?

I sort of dont have a spare (repro 14" bias ply redline that I would never let hit the pavement) and I drive my car over 2k miles a year.....thats what AAA is for!! :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Wicked72

how often do you really see flat tires? Ive only had one in 12 years and that was from a giant evil looking spike kinda like a prison shank I ran over  :eek2: I cant even fit a spare in my superduty..well I could but it would to big for the bed.

As far as the wiring goes it cool as hell but I bet it costs an arm and a leg.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 04, 2012, 07:46:32 AM

So you're saying because he doesnt have a spare in the trunk, he doesnt "drive" the car except for on & off a trailer?

I sort of dont have a spare (repro 14" bias ply redline that I would never let hit the pavement) and I drive my car over 2k miles a year.....thats what AAA is for!! :thumbs:

nope not just the spare tire, but look at this trunk his setup, the whole getup, its obvious he does not drive the car unless its to get off/on the trailer.  Its pretty apparent I would say same with the 2011 meguiars 68 charger from sweden.

NOthing wrong with that, but to advertise something means it 'works' in daily driving conditions.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Wicked72 on August 04, 2012, 08:15:23 AM
how often do you really see flat tires? Ive only had one in 12 years and that was from a giant evil looking spike kinda like a prison shank I ran over  :eek2: I cant even fit a spare in my superduty..well I could but it would to big for the bed.

As far as the wiring goes it cool as hell but I bet it costs an arm and a leg.

do you drive a lot? My daily driver (no charger now) gets about to see 25k miles/year thats daily driving here and there etc....

My last charger got to see 15k miles/year thats mostly work, grocerys, cruising, etc...no far trips since I was scared to drive 2500 miles to go visit family and then 2500 miles back.  So yeah I got to see flats yearly...roughly once/year.

Troy

Only one of my classic cars has a usable spare. I'll be more than happy to compare yearly mileage totals with you. I *average* 12-15k miles per year and as high as 24k a couple years ago when I drove two cars to nearly every show. My trailer is for projects that don't run.

As for the Isis system, it's certainly been in more cars than pure show ponies. No one wants to see one of my ratty piles of junk in an ad. The system is pretty trick and isn't terribly expensive if you've priced the Year One factory replacements - which still include the crappy 40 year old design that causes the car to burn to the ground. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Quote from: Troy on August 04, 2012, 09:49:04 AMwhich still include the crappy 40 year old design that causes the car to burn to the ground. ;)

Troy

I wonder how many cars that has ACTUALLY happened to?  Especially when they were newer because it seems to me it didn't become an issue until the last decade when the factory wiring started getting really old, well hacked, poorly maintained and we started adding all sorts of higher electrical demands that the engineers never anticipated when they designed that "crappy" system in the first place.  I know it has happened to some cars but not nearly as many as I'm betting some folks out there think.
I'm of the opinion that if you put the repro harness in and maintain that bulkhead connector by a simple cleaning periodically, don't hack the harness up for your custom ideas and don't overload the ammeter with your big amp alternator and super mega watt sound system you would get another 40 years out of it before you started to think it was a fire hazard again. :Twocents:

And yes, I fully realize some people need the big watt high amp system to float their boat.

BrianShaughnessy

a show car where he does not drive it or actually put the electrical system to use in daily wear and tear  ::) Its obvious its a show car no spare tire at all....he starts it up to take it off the trailer and starts it backup to put it backin....so wiring system complete bunk.

Nice job Zippy  ::)    did you happen to look at the OP's profile and possibly see that it's his car that ISIS profiled?

512's car kicks azz.  It's certainly not stock but it doesn't mean it's gonna be a trailer queen.  

And if there's a system that bypasses stock ammeters in the dash and flaming bulkhead connectors it's certainly worth a look.  I'll certainly attest to using relays for headlights,  larger main distribution harnesses wires and using voltmeters are a good thing.  

I'm not into super sound systems or need a lot of electronics myself but  some people who may be inclined to bring their cars into the 21st century may want to check this system out.    
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ghoste

I didn't say my opinion was for everybody and my car is plenty enough in the 21st century.   If I wanted a modern ride I'd be on the LX forum.

charger_fan_4ever

When i ordered my package tray and asked for one without speakers they looked at me like i had a third eye. They said you won't have rear speakers ? I said I won't have anything just a stock radio set in there for looks. All I need is the sound of some cam lope :)

Charger 512

1974Dodge charger,Don't come on here and make statements that make yourself look like a complete fuckn idiot.
This car just got finished today.
The owner of it will be driving this thing everywhere,As for your comments do a little investigation before u open that big fuckn trapp of yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indygenerallee

Im all for better wiring!!! Looks nice!! I have a hotwireauto.com new engine wiring harness for my 69 Daytona clone that is for my 2005 5.7 Hemi that way I can hook up my Diablosport Trinity tuner and adjust every aspect of the engine, transmission and make my own "tunes"!! Looks nice!!!!  :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on August 04, 2012, 10:00:51 AM
Quote from: Troy on August 04, 2012, 09:49:04 AMwhich still include the crappy 40 year old design that causes the car to burn to the ground. ;)

Troy

I wonder how many cars that has ACTUALLY happened to?  Especially when they were newer because it seems to me it didn't become an issue until the last decade when the factory wiring started getting really old, well hacked, poorly maintained and we started adding all sorts of higher electrical demands that the engineers never anticipated when they designed that "crappy" system in the first place.  I know it has happened to some cars but not nearly as many as I'm betting some folks out there think.
I'm of the opinion that if you put the repro harness in and maintain that bulkhead connector by a simple cleaning periodically, don't hack the harness up for your custom ideas and don't overload the ammeter with your big amp alternator and super mega watt sound system you would get another 40 years out of it before you started to think it was a fire hazard again. :Twocents:

And yes, I fully realize some people need the big watt high amp system to float their boat.
Well, yeah, if you want a "restored" car that is completely stock the factory style wiring is fine. However, how many of those people drive their cars a LOT? Nearly everyone on this site has some sort of added electrical component - whether it's a radio, electronic ignition, or better headlights. Yes, many (most?) meltdowns are likely due to old wiring that has probably been hacked. New wiring should last a long while - under factory loads. The factory harnesses in my 68 cost me just over $1,300. That Isis system starts at $1,100 (or did). If you want to add circuits the price jumps - but you'll have clean power instead of splices and undersized wiring all over the place.

My Challenger has half old and half new wiring and it seems like I'm constantly chasing electrical gremlins. One of the worst problems was actually in the new engine harness where they didn't crimp the ignition "run" wire tight enough to the connector.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

472 R/T SE

Charger 512, don't hold back man.  Tell him how you really feel.   :icon_smile_angry:   :icon_smile_big:

I won't be an arse & quote you.   :thumbs:

Ghoste

My car is far from restored.  It's a beater musclecar and yes, even my replacement harnesses require some maintenance to keep them trouble free but "meltdowns" are something plaguing me.  I guess if it burns to the ground someday because of my undersized wiring you can all told you so me but for now I would still place aftermarket wiring kits as a potential dealbreaker for me if I were buying.
Room for us all in the hobby though.

twodko

Charger 512,

Agree to disagree but keep your vitriol in check. This forum is all about sharing opinions, perspectives and what works for any given member or not. Different strokes and like that........

74dodgechareger,

Come on man, you've been a member a long time. You know that your perception isn't necessarily the same as another's.

Chill out you guys or I'll send Chuck after ya.........and Lisa too.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Charger 512

it"s not about agree or disagree its about opening your yapp before u think.
I come on here only to show u guys what's being built in other cities and to showcase some cars.
i don't need that crap,Sometimes it's better to bite your tongue and not look like a clown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just a little respect.
I only built what my customer wanted,You may like it you may not,This site is all about "Chargers" i built one
Just wanted to show u guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When this shit happens all u get is people that won't post there cool stuff and then u won't get to see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

myk

Like Troy says it's not a bad way to go when you consider the 'repro wires almost go for just as much and faithfully recreate the weaknesses of the original harness.  I drive my Charger just about weekly and I expect this car to be just as reliable as the Honda Civic that I just flew past.  I think the Isis system is cool but too trick for my application, but I think the 'repro stuff is out of the question as well for the aforementioned reasons.  I'm satisfied with the Painless/EZ wiring systems as they're simple, modern, yet battlefield tested, approved, and extremely simple to maintain...

c00nhunterjoe

1974dodgecharger

hahaha...yes I saw his car many times over and its a beautiful car and I have nothing against. Im challenging the system itself for 'daily driver' status thats all. Last time I checked it was ok to challenge companies to maybe see 'flaws' in their systems to improve it.

your acting like im attacking the person or something  :brickwall: ::) im challenging the status quo man nothing more.

In fact his car is way better than yours...if you want to challenge things around  ::)

who carries a spare tire anyways? I have insurance with AAA and I get my tires  fixed and towed and I pay roughly 24 dollars for 6 months on this service.

I have a dodge tundra 2008 supercharged to carry around my car on far trips.
:popcrn:

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 04, 2012, 11:09:39 AM
a show car where he does not drive it or actually put the electrical system to use in daily wear and tear  ::) Its obvious its a show car no spare tire at all....he starts it up to take it off the trailer and starts it backup to put it backin....so wiring system complete bunk.

Nice job Zippy  ::)    did you happen to look at the OP's profile and possibly see that it's his car that ISIS profiled?

512's car kicks azz.  It's certainly not stock but it doesn't mean it's gonna be a trailer queen.  

And if there's a system that bypasses stock ammeters in the dash and flaming bulkhead connectors it's certainly worth a look.  I'll certainly attest to using relays for headlights,  larger main distribution harnesses wires and using voltmeters are a good thing.  

I'm not into super sound systems or need a lot of electronics myself but  some people who may be inclined to bring their cars into the 21st century may want to check this system out.    

1974dodgecharger

If I had the money Ill get it..... :icon_smile_big:
Quote from: Charger 512 on August 04, 2012, 07:21:46 PM
it"s not about agree or disagree its about opening your yapp before u think.
I come on here only to show u guys what's being built in other cities and to showcase some cars.
i don't need that crap,Sometimes it's better to bite your tongue and not look like a clown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just a little respect.
I only built what my customer wanted,You may like it you may not,This site is all about Chargers i built one
Just wanted to show u guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When this shit happens all u get is people that won't post there cool stuff and u won't get to see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I usually carry a spare although I have never had a flat tire (touch wood)

On the other hand I don't carry a jack  :D

myk

Having a spare and a jack makes sense, which naturally means I carry neither one lol... :-\ ::)

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 440 on August 04, 2012, 10:56:14 PM
I usually carry a spare although I have never had a flat tire (touch wood)

On the other hand I don't carry a jack  :D

in my old car I have a spare, but no jack either....I should carry one.  Its my beater for off roading in fact the spare does not even match my tires on them now.

Wicked72

Quote from: Troy on August 04, 2012, 09:49:04 AM
Only one of my classic cars has a usable spare. I'll be more than happy to compare yearly mileage totals with you. I *average* 12-15k miles per year and as high as 24k a couple years ago when I drove two cars to nearly every show. My trailer is for projects that don't run.

As for the Isis system, it's certainly been in more cars than pure show ponies. No one wants to see one of my ratty piles of junk in an ad. The system is pretty trick and isn't terribly expensive if you've priced the Year One factory replacements - which still include the crappy 40 year old design that causes the car to burn to the ground. ;)

Troy

thanks for making me paranoid my cars gonna burn!!!!  :-\
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

myk

Cooter

I'm supposed to take meds after reading Charger 512's response right?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

IMHO the factory stock electrical system in these cars rates about as highly as the factory rustproofing.  

Even if the stock system is working right, I still hate it just on principle for all the trouble it has caused me in the past.

GT

Couldnt agree more with the above statement.  If your going to truely replace your entire wiring systems on your car with "almost accurate reproductions" of the 40 year old electrical design, you'll find the ISIS system will save you money.  Try pricing all the harnesses, relays, switches, etc. etc.  it racks up FAST.

How many times have we seen folks cars burn to the ground from faulty wiring or bulkhead connectors?   I cant imagine how bad that sucks...

And on the spare tire comments... really?  There are tons of new cars that have no spare tires.
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

Ghoste

Actually yes, how many times?  I agree it has happened but how many times?  I can't think of a single person that I know of.  I know there must be someone and I'm pretty sure there are a couple on here but how many actual cases do you know of for a fact that the car burned to the ground because of the factory wiring?  As I asked before, of those ones you actually know of, how many had old dry wiring, how many had hacked up wiring, how many had huge electrical demands, how many had been sloppily reassembled during a backyard restoration?

myk

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 09, 2012, 02:47:36 PM

IMHO the factory stock electrical system in these cars rates about as highly as the factory rustproofing.  

Even if the stock system is working right, I still hate it just on principle for all the trouble it has caused me in the past.

Lol, quoted for truth.  But Ghoste, honestly I think the "burning vehicles" phenomena was more of a problem with the trucks and vans than the cars. Hell, even Mad Electrical's article on the matter featured a truck.  In the end if someone's going for a 'resto then 'repro wiring is fine, but for the daily grind that I put my car through I just needed something new, modern, and HOPEFULLY more reliable, hence my EZ system, relays, internally regulated 130 amp 'alt, etc.