News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird P/N 3571101 Nose Cone Assembly Complete, Sheetmetal & Internals

Started by Arnie Cunningham, August 02, 2012, 12:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings All,

For many years, I have assumed that the "part" 3571 101 – Nose Cone Assembly Complete, was an "internal" number primarily used by Chrysler to describe an assembly provided by a vendor.  I was of the impression that this wasn't something the consumer public could just walk up and order.  In the same way that "dressed" engines had a part number, a "dressed" nose cone had a part number as well.  It seemed that this assembly was given a part number to describe what Chrysler expected from the vendor and not so much something that would be sold to the public.  3571 101 seems to be one of those internally identified assemblies for one very obvious reason – it is not "complete" as the name would imply.  There are many components missing from the "complete" assembly for the obvious reason that the nose cone is easier to install with them off.  (For a complete list of individual parts in this assembly, see the Plymouth Superbird Technical Services Fleet Engineering document.)  The grill screen, grill frames, front spoiler, valance panels, nose cone rub strip are all conspicuously absent from the list of parts to be included in the "complete assembly".  From a collision/repair standpoint, many of the missing parts would be the first ones damaged and, logically, would be included in an assembly intended to be sold to the consumer public.

However, "3571 101 Nose Cone Assembly Complete" does show up in the supplemental parts catalog pages sent to dealers and it shows up in the Special Parts and Maintenance Schedule which original owners were supposed to receive.

So, the question is: are there any known cases of people ordering this Complete Assembly over the counter and receiving it?

Just curious,

Brennan
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

arrow

So, the question is: are there any known cases of people ordering this Complete Assembly over the counter and receiving it?

Just curious,

Brennan
[/quote]

Yes , Baker , Montana - 1971 ,the ower of a year old Super Bird dented the nose on a light pole while parking his Bird, the dent isnt very bad , but he insisted on a new nose , the replacement nose was complete , even including vacume lines and head lite wiring harness.  I still have the removed nose from the car stored in the basement.

Arnie Cunningham

Wow!
That is the first time I have heard of a case like that.
Thanks for the reply!

Any more cases?  And does anyone have a time machine so I can go back and order a hundred of those lol?
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

odcics2

In 1976, the cone assy was available at the dealer for about $700. I had found a Bird in the back lot of a used car dealer for $500. that had the nose pretty smashed up. Both headlights were smashed back in the up position!  So I priced out the nose assy and laughed when told the price, based on the $500 price for the ENTIRE car.  I had to pass on the car - only had 500. bucks to my name.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Arnie Cunningham

Arnie Cunningham

I did not know there had been a Superbird in Baker.  I grew up in Bowman ND and would have been there in 1971.  I have heard of a Superbird in the Golva, Beach, Sentinel butte area back in the day but have never tracked it down.  I bought my car from Homer Corwin in Bowman.  Do you still live in the area?

arrow

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on August 02, 2012, 03:10:53 PM
I did not know there had been a Superbird in Baker.  I grew up in Bowman ND and would have been there in 1971.  I have heard of a Superbird in the Golva, Beach, Sentinel butte area back in the day but have never tracked it down.  I bought my car from Homer Corwin in Bowman.  Do you still live in the area?

Two Birds were sold out of Baker , an EV2 4 BBL , auto. car- the one I have the original nose from and a Lime Lite one - not sure of its options, I dont "think" there were any nose cones left in the Chry. system after 1975 , I also had an NOS cone bought out of the dealership in Hardin , MT , it was supposed to be the last one and Chrysler wanted it back for some reason. Im in northeastern WY. these days also scored a Nos Bird rear glass at United Glass in Billings for $85  in 1988.
The EV2 Bird was traded in at the Ford  dealer later in 1971 on a new Pinto .The Bird was sold to a 16 yr. old for his first car , he owned it for 18 yrs. and never did any damage or modifications to it, its around still in beautiful condition but with new paint

Arnie Cunningham

Very interesting!
I remember Lorenz Motors in Bowman but I don't remember the name of the dealer in Baker.  Two birds came out of Baker.  That's impressive for an area of the country without much population.  Is the nose you took off still fully assembled?  It would be a valuable reference piece if still in 1971 condition.
Does the name Joe Finneman ring any bells.  I have an old notation with that name on it regarding a Bird in Beach, ND.
It is surprising what people traded these cars off for.  The original owner of my car thinks he traded it off for a station wagon.  The second owner owned two birds at the same time and the story goes that he traded both of them off on a Caddy.  OOPS.

arrow

I dont know if the Bids in Baker were passed on from other Dealers or if they ordered them ? My nose cone is dismantled now it was used for reference when the NOS cone was assembled. I knew the guy that had the car when it was traded in on the Pinto

Arnie Cunningham

So when someone ordered a complete nose cone assembly, they actually got a new shell and a pile of new parts?  That would be an interesting puzzle to put together.  I ask because Chrysler documentation states that the nose cones were to be received at Clairpointe assembled and tested.  Do you remember if there were any additional parts that needed to be ordered that were not included in the "complete" assembly?  The reason I ask is because a number of small components are not included on the list of parts that were to be considered "complete".  Also, all the decals would have to be ordered.  Was the new shell primed or painted?

arrow

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on August 03, 2012, 02:04:40 PM
So when someone ordered a complete nose cone assembly, they actually got a new shell and a pile of new parts?  That would be an interesting puzzle to put together.  I ask because Chrysler documentation states that the nose cones were to be received at Clairpointe assembled and tested.  Do you remember if there were any additional parts that needed to be ordered that were not included in the "complete" assembly?  The reason I ask is because a number of small components are not included on the list of parts that were to be considered "complete".  Also, all the decals would have to be ordered.  Was the new shell primed or painted?
the nose came all assembled and ready to install- Im not sure about the grille though, it came in primer

Arnie Cunningham

Ah!  Excellent information.  Thank you for taking time to respond.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

A good rule of thumb would be for any wing car fan to sift thorough the AeroWarrior site, page by page, as time allows!
There is SO much info contained there...
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

rainbow4jd

I am in the OEM parts business and while I can't speak specifically to events that occurred when I was 12 years old - GENERALLY - this is what an "assembly" would most likely mean.

First - see the post by Arnie with the nose, decals, and whatever else was listed - that shows the part numbers - all but one starting with 3571

When you order an "assembly" all of those items would have been included.  i.e. the cosmetic exterior pieces and decals ONLY.  NO wiring harness!   It would be all of the parts prefixed by 3571.

Parts are internally classified by OEMs based on their classification or common grouping  - i.e. 3000 series parts would probably be external "crash" parts or front end body parts - probably assigned to B bodies.   Then 3500 series would be a sub-classification - perhaps specific to the Superbird model or even the Superbird nose.   Then you get into all the individual parts and their nuances of left - right etc. etc. etc.  OR even the nuances of Dodge, Chrysler, or Plymouth IF the part was a common part (perhaps a wiring harness or wiper motor kind of thing)

Point being - everything on Arnie's post - except the spoiler - would likely have been in the "complete" part number of 3571 101.

If someone has more specific Mopar knowledge - I yield to them.   My comments are just about part classifications in general and how that is LIKELY to apply to the question at hand.

Note: group classifications of part numbering all came out of WWII logistics and when the new post war models were introduced the learnings of war time logistics and classifications were implemnented.