News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First charger what do you think

Started by lando12, August 01, 2012, 07:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lando12

This is my first charger so I'm pretty excited ...its a factory 383 2br with a 4spd some rust but the floors are mint...in you guys professional opinion how well did I do? how much would fellas think you'd pay for it?...thanks for any info guys

B5charger

beauty car.  Any more pics??? Any story behind how you got it? :2thumbs:

Mytur Binsdirti

How much do you want for the wheel lip moldings?

cdr

welcome to the CHARGER life,very cool car,price ???? need more pics,what did you pay
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

lando12

I'm working on more pic's my phone is retarded so it might be a day or two....the wheel lip moldings are coming off when I rip into her I just dont know when yet...I paid $13000 is that an ok deal?

NHCharger

Depends. What shape is the interior in? Condition of all the wiring? Does the engine run? Hows all the mechanicals?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

67_Dodge_Charger

I like a 68 charger.  Do you have any pictures of the engine compartment?  Has the drivetrain been gone through lately?  Congrats :cheers: 

myk

bull

Nice! Is it an original 383/2bbl/4speed car? If so you get to join the 1 of 74 club. :2thumbs:

bull

cdr

from what i have seen 68's go for, so far it looks like you did ok,need more pics,what area are you from
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

charge69

That is a nice-looking Charger at first glance. How nice is the interior? Does it currently run and drive well. From one of the few pics you posted, it looks like I can see headrests. If so, you do not have the correct seats installed right now but, what shape are they in? I really don't know much about the market right now but I gotta think you paid around normal market price for it if my questions are answered with the right answers.

cdr

cdr

Quote from: charge69 on August 01, 2012, 08:38:32 PM
That is a nice-looking Charger at first glance. How nice is the interior? Does it currently run and drive well. From one of the few pics you posted, it looks like I can see headrests. If so, you do not have the correct seats installed right now but, what shape are they in? I really don't know much about the market right now but I gotta think you paid around normal market price for it if my questions are answered with the right answers.
from what i learned on here head rest were an option on 68s,correct me if i am wrong

skip68

I think you did just fine on the purchase from what I can see at this point.   Welcome to the site.    :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

carsnguitars

Nice color combo. As for price and if you got a good deal etc...
I always say if you are happy with the purchase and love it, you got a good deal for you, which is all that matters.
In the end its your money, enjoy the car.

Lennard

Quote from: myk on August 01, 2012, 08:20:22 PM
What does it say on the tail?
I think it says FAIR WARNING Charger.

lando12

Quote from: Lennard on August 01, 2012, 08:58:30 PM
Quote from: myk on August 01, 2012, 08:20:22 PM
What does it say on the tail?
I think it says FAIR WARNING Charger.

yup your correct it says fair warning...dont ask me why...yes I checked the VIN and its an actual 2br 383 and 4spd...As fo the seats it has one split in the passenger seat and the seat combo has a center jump seat...the gauges are faded but all work also rear defroster works still...carpet is in damn good shape just needs cleaned...Ill post more pictures when I stop working my 12 hour shifts at work...also im in north western Illinois

twodko

Hell fire mister! You've got yourself a winner, congratulations.  :2thumbs:

By the by, what carnguitars said.....word!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: cdr on August 01, 2012, 08:36:48 PM
from what i have seen 68's go for, so far it looks like you did ok,need more pics,what area are you from

he could of done better....I say its a 10k car. If she runs, minimal rust, etc..then at 13k he did alright, but he has major rust???

tan top

hello & welcome   :coolgleamA:   rare charger  :yesnod:   :2thumbs: :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

doctor4766

Gotta love a '69

myk

41husk

The car looks great, I love QQ1 68 Chargers.  I think you did well at 13k but what we think is not important, as long as you are happy with your purchase, thays all that really matters!! :2thumbs: Congratulations :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bakerhillpins

Quote from: lando12 on August 01, 2012, 09:14:51 PM
yup your correct it says fair warning...dont ask me why...yes I checked the VIN and its an actual 2br 383 and 4spd...As fo the seats it has one split in the passenger seat and the seat combo has a center jump seat...the gauges are faded but all work also rear defroster works still...carpet is in damn good shape just needs cleaned...Ill post more pictures when I stop working my 12 hour shifts at work...also im in north western Illinois

Can't determine the original transmission from the VIN. You need something else. The broadcast sheet would be the ultimate proof but depending on the date the car was built there are several other things that can either prove or support that.  Does the car have a fender tag? Would be on the inner fender next to the battery. Would be good to know what it has on it if you have it.

Blue Chargers are sweet.  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Benji

I bought one identical to yours for $300.00, but had to put a new engine in it because someone poured a bunch of sand in the oil fill tube.  I bought a wrecked 1968 Road Runner with a good 383 4V for $275.00 to use as my replacement engine.

Oh by the way that was in 1974.  :cheers:

Benji

Ghoste

Very nice choice for a first Charger and you have every right to be excited.

RamZCharger

Congrats on the Charger!  I wouldn't get too hung up on the $s, no need to get caught up with buyers remores or post-purchase rationalization.  Have fun and enjoy.  They don't make 68 Chargers anymore.  Nice find.   :2thumbs:

6pkrtse

Congrats on the new Charger. I think it looks sweet. I like the color combo. I think you did very well at that price. Enjoy it & as other have said more pictures when you get a chance.

1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

NHCharger

Quote from: RamZCharger on August 02, 2012, 09:24:54 AM
Congrats on the Charger!  I wouldn't get too hung up on the $s, no need to get caught up with buyers remores or post-purchase rationalization.  Have fun and enjoy.  They don't make 68 Chargers anymore.  Nice find.   :2thumbs:

Exactly. If your waiting for that really great deal you could be waiting another ten years. If your happy that's all that counts. Your always going to have those people that say you paid too much.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

skip68

Exactly!  For a complete minimal rust 68 4spd Charger for $13-14k I wouldn't bat an eye.   I think they only made 79 383 4 speeds and there's probably less than 50 left in the world so feel good about it.  Good deal.   

Benji, you paid waaaaay to much in 1974.    :nana:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

PocketThunder

:popcrn:   I know how much it sold for at auction a few months ago, but i dont know how much was put into it before you bought it, so i cant say if you got a good deal or not.  A member here inspected that car at the auction with cash in hand but passed on it.  PM me for his name if you want it.  Anyways, nice to have a 383 4-speed 68 thats for sure!   :2thumbs:

PT
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

jessejames

Nice car bro!! I like the color combo! 68 383 4 speed car is pretty rare also

projectanimal

Great looking car!!!  :cheers:
I agree with most that you need to be happy with what you have bought and not worrying about the "deal". 
Gives me a smile to see another charger on a uhaul trailer heading for home.  That was our exact experience.
Congrats and welcome.  This site will give you more information and suggestions (sometimes without asking LOL).
More pictures!!  ;D :popcrn:
northwest CT

grdprx

Quote from: projectanimal on August 02, 2012, 01:11:40 PM
Great looking car!!!  :cheers:
I agree with most that you need to be happy with what you have bought and not worrying about the "deal". 
Gives me a smile to see another charger on a uhaul trailer heading for home.  That was our exact experience.
Congrats and welcome.  This site will give you more information and suggestions (sometimes without asking LOL).
More pictures!!  ;D :popcrn:

Good score!  The Uhaul brings back memories for me too!   :2thumbs:

I Love the color combo, I'm planning that blue with a black stripes some day..  Love the 68 baby!

chargerboy69

Quote from: NHCharger on August 02, 2012, 11:29:43 AM
Exactly. If your waiting for that really great deal you could be waiting another ten years. If your happy that's all that counts. Your always going to have those people that say you paid too much.

I agree. . .and those are usually the people who don't have one or don't have the money for one. 

If the rust is minimal I would say you got a deal.

Great looking car. :2thumbs:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Benji

Quote from: skip68 on August 02, 2012, 11:42:44 AM
Benji, you paid waaaaay to much in 1974.    :nana:

I sure wish I would have kept the Roadrunner.  It only had a little over 40,000 miles on the clock and was in near perfect shape from the trunk lid forward.  It had been hit pretty hard in the right quarter panel/rear bumper down low. Bent the RR wheel, trunk floor, RR wheelhouse and the differential.  I could fixed it rather easily, but hey it was a $800.00 car in 1974 so after I pulled the engine and put it in the Charger, I dropped the junk 383 in the engine bay of the Road Runner and sold the car to a bone yard for $125.00.

Benji

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

nvrbdn

welcome to another illinois charger. love the color combo.hows it run? brakes? good luck with it. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

73rallye440magnum

I am very familiar with the car. Had cash in hand when it was sold this spring.

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the site!

It has severe underlying rust issues.

Incredibly high option car.

What are your plans?
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: bull on August 01, 2012, 08:35:42 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on August 01, 2012, 07:25:26 PM
How much do you want for the wheel lip moldings?

:rotz: ::) Really?

Being as wise and insighful as I am, the question was 100% appropriate as seen in the o/p's response to me below.....

Quote from: lando12 on August 01, 2012, 07:42:50 PM
....the wheel lip moldings are coming off when I rip into her I just dont know when yet...

.......which of course means that you owe me an apology. And that aint no bull.  :lol:

bull

"Coming off" doesn't necessarily mean up for sale does it? :nana:

Dans 68

Nice first post...ranks right up there!  :2thumbs:

A '68 383 2-bbl 4-speed is a nice car.  :cheers: On first blush it looks to be a great buy. Post up the fender tag and we'll tell you what it came with out of the factory. A build sheet would be too much to hope for....

Optional headrests, rear defroster, aftermarket exhaust, and probably a re-paint...if the mentioned rust issues are not too severe then I'd say you bought well.  :yesnod:

QQ-1, white vinyl and black interior? Hmm.... :scratchchin:  Nice combo.

And why would the wheel lip moldings be coming off? To fix the panel(s)?
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

skip68

Because wheel lip moldings look Chico.     :yesnod:

myk

Quote from: bull on August 03, 2012, 01:13:36 PM
"Coming off" doesn't necessarily mean up for sale does it? :nana:

That's what she said...

bull

Quote from: skip68 on August 04, 2012, 01:46:17 AM
Because wheel lip moldings look Chico.     :yesnod:

Does "Chico" mean the opposite of white trash? :yesnod:

lando12

Quote from: Dans 68 on August 04, 2012, 01:35:39 AM
Nice first post...ranks right up there!  :2thumbs:

A '68 383 2-bbl 4-speed is a nice car.  :cheers: On first blush it looks to be a great buy. Post up the fender tag and we'll tell you what it came with out of the factory. A build sheet would be too much to hope for....

Optional headrests, rear defroster, aftermarket exhaust, and probably a re-paint...if the mentioned rust issues are not too severe then I'd say you bought well.  :yesnod:

QQ-1, white vinyl and black interior? Hmm.... :scratchchin:  Nice combo.

And why would the wheel lip moldings be coming off? To fix the panel(s)?

OK here's the deal about the fender tag...the most sever rust on the car is the fender tag...almost completely rusted away except for the last few numbers on either edge...where would a guy find the build sheet in the car?...also from what I've seen on the car nothing says this is a 4sp conversion, its too well done to have been a conversion...the reason those wheel lip moldings are coming off is I dint like em...plus I'm gonna paint it flat back sorry to anyone that hates that look....big thanks for all the support I'm really happy with the car ...I've always wanted one of these cars since watching DOH when I was little

skip68

Good for you.   :cheers:   
The build sheet should be under the back seat.   

Dans 68

Quote from: lando12 on August 04, 2012, 03:03:55 PM
OK here's the deal about the fender tag...the most sever rust on the car is the fender tag...almost completely rusted away except for the last few numbers on either edge...where would a guy find the build sheet in the car?...also from what I've seen on the car nothing says this is a 4sp conversion, its too well done to have been a conversion...the reason those wheel lip moldings are coming off is I dint like em...plus I'm gonna paint it flat back sorry to anyone that hates that look....big thanks for all the support I'm really happy with the car ...I've always wanted one of these cars since watching DOH when I was little

If the fender tag is still relatively intact and still on the car you can gently remove it, flip it over and get a better read on what the codes are. if all you have are the corners of the tag in a box, they still can be of some help. We like to watch (meaning pictures!)...a little "Being There" humor.

The build sheet can be under either seat, the floor rug, behind the back seat and behind the glove box. If the car has been untouched you should get lucky.

I can see where flat black and chrome wheel trim moldings would not go together...the bottom line after all is said and done is "your car, your way".  :yesnod:

And you do know that the DOH franchise used '69's?   :icon_smile_wink:

Did I mention to post pictures?  ;)  Oh, and welcome to the site!

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

lando12

Oh yeah I tried finding a 69 with no luck at all, then this 68 came alon so I jumped on it...but I wouldnt mind trading someday for a 69 or converting this one..more pictures coming soon...when I get ripin into the car I'll be sure to keep a look out for that tag...

myk

Quote from: lando12 on August 04, 2012, 06:18:39 PM
Oh yeah I tried finding a 69 with no luck at all, then this 68 came alon so I jumped on it...but I wouldnt mind trading someday for a 69 or converting this one..more pictures coming soon...when I get ripin into the car I'll be sure to keep a look out for that tag...

Ironic.  I looked for a '68 for as long as I could wait (best year of the 2nd Gen IMO) then jumped on my '69 that came along.  A couple of weeks later a beautiful '68 came along... :eek2:

JMF

nvrbdn

i had a blue 68 with white vinyl roof and white interior when in high school. tried to find a 68 and jumped when my 70 came along. the 68 was my first choice, but love my 70 now. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Troy

Quote from: charge69 on August 01, 2012, 08:38:32 PM
Headrests were optional in 68.

I have a car nearly identical to this one: QQ1, white vinyl top, black interior (with headrests!), 4-speed - except mine's an R/T so it has a 440 and a Dana.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.