News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to find HEMI door emblems?

Started by charge69, August 01, 2012, 06:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charge69

Hi Forum members. I need to find some HEMI door emblems. I know Year one sells them but I am not sure they are like the original ones with 3 pins thru the door. Can someone tell me so I do not have to call Year One with this question. My originals are there but, My Charger now looks too nice to put the old emblems on it.

I don't know if you can tell but that is R6 Red acrylic enamel  with a pearl white top. It is more finished now with the trim and "Charger" emblem on the roof pillar and rear window mechanisms restored and in now. I just do not have a current pic.

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

charge69

Well, I have looked at both websites but not called about them . They are not on either website. It is looking more like Year One will get the call but I do not like their shipping.

Ghoste

And you feel it worse when you use them for a small item like that.

Not to steer the thread in a different direction but how can you have acrylic enamel ? I've seen it posted before and the question has got the better of me. Acrylic is water based and enamel is oil based  :shruggy:

rick@laysons

The two that I have sitting here on my desk each have three pins on the back.....S&H for two of them to you in TX would be $12.00.

If interested in these two and can do a PayPal payment, I can have them out the door in today's mail.....

6pkrtse

I ordered mine from Year One years ago. They did have the pins. My car is not an original HEMI car & the Hemi was only in my car temporarily until my other car was done so I did not want them on permanately & drill holes in my fender (70). I did grind the pins off & apply them with some two sidded tape.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

charge69

Hello Rick@laysons,  Yep that is just what I need if the one upside down is in as good a shape as the other one.I can do paypal, I think and will try to have the payment sent in a few minutes. PM inbound

To 440: I had this custom blended at a paint store here and they made up 3 gallons for me. Ended up needing a 4th to fix mistakes and cover top and bottom  (my Charger was painted underneath from the factory anyway). I don't know anything about the formulas but it is a single stage paint that with paint, reducer, and hardener added, it was around $600.00 a gallon just to buy the paint. No prep or finish materials included. Add a bunch more for those items! This is really a middle-of-the-road price for paint but it is easily repaired without having to reshoot clear coat on it. It is hard to find and if my friend did not know the counterman at the paint store, he probably would not have sold it to me.

My friend can buff this paint so nice you would swear it is base coat/clear coat. The final buffing is yet to come but the whole car is painted. As far as I know we are down to 2 out of many automotive paint stores that even sell this paint to customers anymore. This is as close as I can get to factory paint now.

My friend's Chally was painted yellow with this paint about 7 years ago and you would swear it was just painted! Even after having to respray the lower door area and front of the back fender a few years after originally painting the car and it blended so well, you cannot tell it had any respreay  at all! Again, Don't ask me to explain "Acrylic Enamel" but that is what it is !

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: rick@laysons on August 02, 2012, 11:15:42 AM
The two that I have sitting here on my desk each have three pins on the back.....S&H for two of them to you in TX would be $12.00.

If interested in these two and can do a PayPal payment, I can have them out the door in today's mail.....

Hmmmmm  :scratchchin:  Maybe I need them for my shop frig, ok actually an old crusty one :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  FWIW, I think the beer tastes better from a frig cloned into a charger door (which was not useable door by the way)..... :slap:

charge69

They would look nice on your Charger fridge door ! 

Indygenerallee

NICE! Should have painted it orange and stuck half a 01 on it!!!  :lol: :smilielol: :rofl:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

hemi68charger

Carl, before you tighten any reproduction emblem down, check the fit. If you recall, I was working on my '68 Hemi Charger R/T. I still have the original ones at home. I did get new reproductions and the fit wasn't as good as the original. Hence, when I would tighten them down, they caused the door sheetmetal to be distorted. I took them off. NOS Hemi door emblems are next to impossible to find......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

I'm guessing there isn't any way to really "modify" them to fit either?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Ghoste on August 06, 2012, 08:47:18 AM
I'm guessing there isn't any way to really "modify" them to fit either?

You could probably just file down the edges of the emblems a little bit at a time and once done, you'd probably have to repaint the outer boundary of the emblem black again. Once the emblem is adjusted so most, if not all, touches the door with hand insertion, it probably would look fine. When I compared the gap of the original to the reproduction, it was noticeable. But, it was a slight gap. The gap was such it would grab your eye, but small enough that slight modification would render the gap minuscule thus not being an attraction of one's eye..
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

charge69

Troy, thanks for the info on the repro items' fit. Some sanding and, maybe even some dremelling might be appropriate for the emblems to fit but, I am thinking they will fit ! ;)

hemi68charger

Quote from: charge69 on August 06, 2012, 09:01:15 AM
Troy, thanks for the info on the repro items' fit. Some sanding and, maybe even some dremelling might be appropriate for the emblems to fit but, I am thinking they will fit ! ;)

Hey Carl..
I hope so........... That's the 1st picture I've seen with the paint.. Man, I can't wait to see her showing up at Nifty50ees some day.......  :2thumbs:
Troy

charge69

Hi Troy,

It is getting close !  Our timetable is to finish it in 3 months ! Mainly just installing the new or repro items, restoring and recovering the seats and rubbing more money on it !  Ha ! It truly is starting to look awesome !  The dash is completely restored and installed with all new dash harness and ammeter work done. The complete X-Pipe exhaust system, including SS exhaust tips arrived by UPS today. It already has the TTi 2 1/8" Hemi Headers (polished ceramic coated with heat barrier) installed!

I certainly will let you know when it goes to its' first carshow.

daveco

I wish I could go out in my garage and see that :cheers:
R/Tree

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T