News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fourth generation Chargers

Started by Ghoste, August 01, 2012, 01:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

What is it about the 4th gens that gets them a bad rap from some aorund here?  Is it styling or marketing?  Because powertrain was largely the same as it was for the 73-74 Chargers was it not?
Personally I think it was the way they were marketed with a font change for the Charger script and a push to just going out on the town.  I'm one of the ones who refers to them as Disco-Chargers but I don't dislike the looks of them.  A two door, rear wheel drive, V8 powered Dodge, why should it be so different?

twodko

I dunno Ghoste, for me I just don't care for the body style. I think they took a dive on the ugly side. :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

chargerboy69

I have really started to like that body style.  I will take a Magnum with T-tops.  :2thumbs:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

moparstuart

Quote from: chargerboy69 on August 01, 2012, 02:36:42 PM
I have really started to like that body style.  I will take a Magnum with T-tops.  :2thumbs:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   i like them better then 3 gens    :flame: :flame: :flame:  flame suite on   :rofl: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Tilar

If they had modeled the 2nd gen B bodies after a plymouth fury or a Dodge Polara and put a side or tail stripe on it, would you like it as much as what it really, truly is? The 4th gen Charger, while it really doesn't look bad by any means; is nothing more than a Cordoba with stripes.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

74bluecharger440

ACUDANUT

moparstuart

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 01, 2012, 04:35:13 PM
I think Stuart started that. :shruggy:
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  too each there own you guys i'm sure dont like what i do    :icon_smile_big:

Daytona R/T SE

The Ol' lady just ordered a pizza... ;)

BB1

It's call an opinion, no need to fly off the handle with the A word.

I'm going to see Batman again... Pray for me....
Delete my profile

Cooter

Quote from: Tilar on August 01, 2012, 04:11:29 PM
If they had modeled the 2nd gen B bodies after a plymouth fury or a Dodge Polara and put a side or tail stripe on it, would you like it as much as what it really, truly is? The 4th gen Charger, while it really doesn't look bad by any means; is nothing more than a Cordoba with stripes.

EXACTLY! Just like the 5th Gen. Chargers are nothing more than Intrepids with a Hemi. it wasn't limited to Mopar that got a "Bad Rap" during those "Big Bumper" years. Heavy, Massively underpowered, and basically, looks like your grandfathers Charger, with it's "Rich Corinthian Leather" interior.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TheGhost

Quote from: Cooter on August 01, 2012, 05:28:51 PM

EXACTLY! Just like the 5th Gen. Chargers are nothing more than Intrepids with a Hemi.

Sounds like a fun car to me. :shruggy:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Budnicks

Quote from: Ghoste on August 01, 2012, 01:40:03 PM
What is it about the 4th gens that gets them a bad rap from some aorund here?  Is it styling or marketing?  Because powertrain was largely the same as it was for the 73-74 Chargers was it not?
Personally I think it was the way they were marketed with a font change for the Charger script and a push to just going out on the town.  I'm one of the ones who refers to them as Disco-Chargers but I don't dislike the looks of them.  A two door, rear wheel drive, V8 powered Dodge, why should it be so different?
I'm not a big fan, of them, but some guys love them, opinions will vary vastly... here are a few...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Cooter

Quote from: TheGhost on August 01, 2012, 05:31:24 PM

EXACTLY! Just like the 5th Gen. Chargers are nothing more than Intrepids with a Hemi.

Sounds like a fun car to me. :shruggy:

And that is the very reason they are selling/sold at all. People are/were willing to settle for anything they can/could get their hands on just like they did back when the fourth gens came out. "Well, it is RWD, and it can have a BB 400, so I guess this is as good as it gets"....I refuse to "Settle" because that's all "Chrysler/Fiat/Mercedes whatever has to offer for my $60K....It better look a far bit better than the sh*t they are calling Darts, Chargers, etc. today for me to Buy one, but I'm only one person so the rest that will buy will make it a ""Hit" regardless.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

twodko

hatersaurusrex

I think they almost win the ugly race between the LTD, Thunderbird, and Monte Carlo, but the Monte takes the cake for me:

I'm amazed American car companies sold any full size cars at all in the late 70's.    WTF were they thinking?   Look at that thing!
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

1974dodgecharger

EXACTLY! Just like the 5th Gen. Chargers are nothing more than Intrepids with a Hemi. it wasn't limited to Mopar that got a "Bad Rap" during those "Big Bumper" years. Heavy, Massively underpowered, and basically, looks like your grandfathers Charger, with it's "Rich Corinthian Leather" interior.

Thats utter BS on your part...the new chargers are not like the INtrepids at all....WHO KNEW BALL GAME OF ARGUMENT THERE BUDDIE!!!  You have went to a new low and now we are gonna fight over this. The new chargers are just that CHARGERS BY WHATS HIS NAME RALPH GUILLIES or something. They are the ultimate chargers in the chargers line up..........

kidding they are more like the

AVENGERS

BB1

If you guys can't tell the differance... wow just wow. I love them 4 gen.   :coolgleamA:
Delete my profile

twodko

Not. Those new dodge sedans.......fail. Now, give me a late 300 and I'll be happy.

moparstuart

Quote from: twodko on August 01, 2012, 09:31:45 PM
Not. Those new dodge sedans.......fail. Now, give me a late 300 and I'll be happy.
those are actually 6th gen charger the 5th gen where the little shelbys 

twodko

carsnguitars

[I have really started to like that body style.  I will take a Magnum with T-tops.  :2thumbs:
[/quote] :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   i like them better then 3 gens    :flame: :flame: :flame:  flame suite on   :rofl: :nana:
[/quote]

You must be old and dont have your glasses on!

TK73

Cordoba fan here so the "Charger" model is cool with me.

400 biggest option on 'em, most 318 and 360. Drivetrain and suspension basically the same as 3rd gen.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

F8-4life

Imo the 4th gen charger would have been better if it followed the '75 coronet/fury line instead of the that cordoba nonsense.

TK73

Quote from: F8-4life on August 01, 2012, 11:18:55 PM
Imo the 4th gen charger would have been better if it followed the '75 coronet/fury line instead of the that cordoba nonsense.

'76 Sport Fury used as Charger:
{don't see many}

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

GOTWING

I like them too ! They have grown on me just like the 75 Road runner, if you have the right color and interior combo,wheels etc. they can look good, especially compared to GM,ford's etc. of that same era. My neighbor has a two tone blue 77 Daytona Charger that has been off the road since around 1987, it has been rusting away in his side yard next to his house ever since :eek2:, he bought it new.  :brickwall: my mother had a 79 300 when we were growing up, my brother got it for his 18th b-day and re did the entire car with a nice stroker, has been 12:54 @ 106mph with A 1.84 60foot. has been to Carlisle,E-town etc. in the late 90's early 2000's it's been in storage now since 03 :shruggy:

Lizey

They sort of did, the Charger "Sport" had the same front clip as a Coronet

Quote from: F8-4life on August 01, 2012, 11:18:55 PM

1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

F8-4life

Didn'y know that, I guess I got a "charger" station wagon! Haha

bill440rt

The Charger is a car whose style & purpose has morphed over evolvement of time. Luxo-disco barges were in at the time, the Charger rolled along with it. It was no longer considered a performance model, but a mid-size luxury car. It was essentially a down-scaled Cordoba.
I used to cruise in a '77 Charger. It was a nice riding, comfy car. I neither love them nor despise them, but I think they are interesting. There were some good looking ones.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce