News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone here a veterinarian?

Started by chargd72, July 31, 2012, 11:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

I would like to have some educated feedback on this.  I have a doberman that's about 7.5 years old and weighs 80-85lbs.  He's fit he's healthy, but he is getting up there in age for a large size dog.  I've been taking him running twice a week for 4 miles at a time.  He seems to love it but I'm concerned if I'm doing more damage than good.  He currently doesn't have any joint issues and never limps or slows down after the run.  I'm also running him in Austin TX where it gets pretty warm but it doesn't seem to bother him either.  So I guess my questions are:  Is this too far for him?  Is it too hot for him?  Would he be showing me signs if it were doing any damage to his health?  He's my buddy and I want to make sure I'm not hurting him.  Here's a pic of me and Nero enjoying one of the Dodges.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Cooter

Not any Vet by a long shot, but I would think the best judge of that dog's Physical limitations would have to be the dog. If YOU aren't killing yourself in the heat, I would think that dog would be more adapt at handling what we humans have come to know as "All but impossible" heat.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

chargd72

Quote from: Cooter on July 31, 2012, 11:31:07 AM
Not any Vet by a long shot, but I would think the best judge of that dog's Physical limitations would have to be the dog. If YOU aren't killing yourself in the heat, I would think that dog would be more adapt at handling what we humans have come to know as "All but impossible" heat.

And that's always been my stance.  But I hear a lot of people argue that dogs have a harder time dissipating heat due to sweat glands only being in the mouth and on the paws.  I do notice that I recover much quicker than he does with breathing but I don't really think that's an issue.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Cooter

The wifey has a little Yorkie and I run and ruff house with him like he's a dog. She gets to talking bout how their paws this, and their backs that...I don't wanna hurt the little sh*t, but at the same time, I'm careful now when i play with him not to be too overly rough with him.

I'd say he just needs a little more time now that he's older. Maybe a little walking in the middle of the run?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

rt green

have him ck'ed out at the vet and ask the same questins. or, take him out and run him shorter that normal. see if he's ready for more.
third string oil changer

Dino

Panting is normal, up to a point.  since he's getting a bit older it would be wise to take him to a vet for a checkup.  Let them examine him, draw some blood and see how he's doing.  No different thatn our own checkups really and it'll put your mind at rest.  In general a dog will run for as long as you do, you are his master so he will obey.  You can hurt him this way so be careful.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Marck

I haven't got a clue, but I just wanted to commend you for looking out for your dog like that..  :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

Good looking dog. Nice Truck..Where are your side mirrors ?
IMO I would not run a dog for 4 miles. Cut it in half and adjust to the hot temps we have.

chargd72

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I always like to hear other opinions.

Acuda, mirrors where missing when it was shipped from AZ.  They're on there now.  :2thumbs:

bull

I've heard there are certain breeds of dogs that will run themselves to death. I doubt dobermans are one of them but I've heard stories about border collies doing that. I'd just call the vet. Normally they will give that kind of advice over the phone. Maybe get a 2nd and 3rd opinion too.

Tilar

I'm not a runner by a long shot. Hell I have a hard time walking very far at any one time let alone run it... But from my perspective, while you may be running, I doubt he's in much more than a trot.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

chargd72

Quote from: Tilar on July 31, 2012, 04:56:18 PM
I'm not a runner by a long shot. Hell I have a hard time walking very far at any one time let alone run it... But from my perspective, while you may be running, I doubt he's in much more than a trot.

Yep, keep in mind I'm pacing for distance.  I'm averaging about an 8 minute mile.  Nero doesn't get to and actualy stride for more than maybe 30 seconds at a time.  95% of the run, he is trotting along.

Todd Wilson

If the dog seems to want to do it then I'd keep letting him run with you. He is starting to get up there in age. But if he's been running with you for many years he is in shape.I would not want to take a dog that old that hasnt been running like that for many years out for a run like you do. If he starts to show signs of being sore or really wore out after a run then its probably time to slow down as he is getting to be an old dog.

Todd

Road Dog

Not a vet. Dobermans are prone to hip problems as are some other breeds. Running should not be a problem. I would keep the jumping and going up on the hind legs to a minimum though.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

mpdlawdog

not a vet but I've been a canine handler for 15 years.....dont stop what your doing....might consider running in the morning or at night when its not so hot....heat stroke is the #1 killer of police k9s....dont give him a ton of water after running and definitely dont feed him until he recovers and never before running...large dogs flip their stomach easy......

things to watch for if your dog gets heat stroke......the inside of his ears will get really red...push on his gums...they should turn white then right back to pink...if not there is a problem...get him to the vet asap or hose him down with cool water to get his temp back down....

some people say fish oil helps their joints but thats up in the air...gave my old partner fish oil and he lived til he was 14 without any problems

cool looking dog...love the pins
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

chargd72

Quote from: mpdlawdog on August 01, 2012, 11:01:52 AM
not a vet but I've been a canine handler for 15 years.....dont stop what your doing....might consider running in the morning or at night when its not so hot....heat stroke is the #1 killer of police k9s....dont give him a ton of water after running and definitely dont feed him until he recovers and never before running...large dogs flip their stomach easy......

things to watch for if your dog gets heat stroke......the inside of his ears will get really red...push on his gums...they should turn white then right back to pink...if not there is a problem...get him to the vet asap or hose him down with cool water to get his temp back down....

some people say fish oil helps their joints but thats up in the air...gave my old partner fish oil and he lived til he was 14 without any problems

cool looking dog...love the pins

Good info.  I'll stick with it and just keep a closer eye on him.  Thanks.   :cheers: