News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Custom Dash with Dakota Digital Gauges

Started by ncmiller1, July 30, 2012, 11:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncmiller1

I finally put in my custom dash today.  My old cluster didn't work even after I replaced the voltage regulator, some of the gauge needles fell off, so I decided to do my own thing (not everyone's cup of tea, but it's the direction I wanted to go).  

I used Dakota Digital VHX gauges and some of my original switches, along with a new headlight switch.  I had completely rewired my '68 with a Ron Francis wiring kit and decided to use their headlight switch so I didn't have to reuse my old broken one.  I made a template of the dash out of card board and cut out where I wanted my gauges and switches.  Then I took it to a water jet cutting company and they programmed the template into their computer and finally cut it out of black anodized brushed aluminum.  Everything lined up pretty well and it's working great!  

The gauges came with new solid state sending units and a pulse generating speedometer unit that was a breeze to calibrate.  I don't have a windshield wiper fluid setup so I used the wiper fluid button to control my electric fuel pump for priming purposes.  Here are some pictures for those who are interested!

ncmiller1

Here are the pictures

TexasStroker

Very nice...that takes care of the non-functioning gauges!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

WHITE AND RED 69

Those are sweet. Nice and clean.  :2thumbs:  They look great all lit up.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dodgerdallas

Very cool,I may be doing something simular w my 66 if the guages are a bust.The only one working at the moments the amp but I havent attempted to repair any of em yet-havent had the ride long.
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

twodko

That's an elegant sleek look especially with the blue backlighting.

I want your AC.......when can ya ship it?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

wm_tell1

The dash looks really nice. Looks like you swapped the position of the headlight switch and the wiper/washer switches.

FLG

Looks good, can you change the lighting color? Amber is much easier on the eyes at night  :coolgleamA:

ncmiller1

Thanks all!

Yeah I changed some of the switch positions and functions for space reasons as well as purpose.  I wish I could change the color to keep it fresh!  Unfortunately they only offered blue and red, so I went with the blue (it seemed a little more pleasant).