News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to check front upper ball joint

Started by charger Downunder, August 01, 2012, 11:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger Downunder

I have a front end noise when reversing out of a car space on hard lock and then turning the opposite way sounds like a pop / clank noise.
[/quote]

resq302

easiest way to check for worn / damaged ball joints is to jack up the car on that corner and get the wheel high enough that you can grab the 12 and 6 o clock position of the tire.  if there is excessive movement top and bottom, those ball joints are worn.  Same goes for checking tie rods only that would be on the 9 and 3 o clock positions.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Resq302's method is also used to check loose wheel bearings, so make sure they are not loose firstly.

resq302

I should have mentioned that I try to visually verify to see if there is play at the joint also to eliminate any possibility of the wheel bearing.  sorry for any confusion.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

cdr

Quote from: resq302 on August 02, 2012, 12:41:25 AM
easiest way to check for worn / damaged ball joints is to jack up the car on that corner and get the wheel high enough that you can grab the 12 and 6 o clock position of the tire.  if there is excessive movement top and bottom, those ball joints are worn.  Same goes for checking tie rods only that would be on the 9 and 3 o clock positions.
you have to jack up the car under the lower control arm otherwise the ball joints will be under a load from the upper bump stop,then get a long pry bar under the tire & pry up & down,look for movement at the lower bj,then @12 & 6 try & wiggle to feel slack in the upper
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

elacruze

Check your steering box bolts for proper torque.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

John_Kunkel

A popping noise when the wheel is returned from a lock can be the spindle stop (on the steering arm/lower ball joint) hitting the lower control arm especially is the suspension is rebounding at the same time.

The spindle stop is a bump on the steering arm that contacts the lower control arm, sometimes just coating the bump with heavy grease will stop the popping.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

GPULLER

Quote from: cdr on August 02, 2012, 08:11:09 AM
you have to jack up the car under the lower control arm otherwise the ball joints will be under a load from the upper bump stop,then get a long pry bar under the tire & pry up & down,look for movement at the lower bj,then @12 & 6 try & wiggle to feel slack in the upper

:iagree: