News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How does the plate behind the master cylinder come off?

Started by Inspector71, July 30, 2012, 05:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector71

I am in the process of sanding down the entire engine compartment of my 68 Charger (engine/tranny out). It has drum brakes. The dual reservoir attaches to a large black metal plate. The plate is attached to the firewall by what look to be four bolts. The heads are round so they obviously don't unbolt there. My guess is they are welded/attached to the plate and there are nuts on the other end, under the dash...The dash is most of the way out. To take off the plate and brake reservoir, do I find the bolts under the dash and take off the nuts? Is there any other "trick," like removing something else, I'll need to do? For now I just want to get it off the firewall so I can get rid of some rust and prime the engine bay. Thanks for the help. I googled diagrams and instructions and found few or for power boost brakes which this does not have. If I don't sound like I know what I'm doing and or never did this before, bingo.

Remo

You´llll find the 2 Nuts for that Bracket under the Dash,
above your 4 Nuts of the Master Cylinder or Brake Booster.

Inspector71

Thanks, looks like I got my work cut out for me but this helps. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe Thursday?

Steve P.

No, not really. Just get under there with a small light and a socket, swivel, long extension and a ratchet.. You'll be done in a minute...  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Inspector71

Steve P: Thanks. I'm going this alone so everything I do is a "first time" for me. But I've never had a greater feeling of satisfaction that accomplishing something with my MOPARS. I bought the Charger from an insurance adjuster who told me it had "only surface rust." Is idea of surface was different than any I ever heard (needs a trunk, one entire quarter side panel (maybe the sail panel) bottom part of a quarter and I'm still trying to determine if the front fenders can be saved. Engine bay is in good shape accept for some real surface rust someone painted over with primer. Again, thanks for the help. I hope to get to it on Thursday when the temp in my garage drops to 99 ha ha

Steve P.

They were ALL only driven to church on Sunday and the occasional trip to the DRIVE-IN and we know most of them closed many years ago!!!!  :eyes:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida