News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TUFCAT's Original Paint '67 Coronet Rear-Ended

Started by TUFCAT, July 29, 2012, 02:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeeWJay426

OUCH...  just saw this Tom. That sucks! Hopefully you can line up the right body shop to bring it back as good as it was. Glad it wasn't worse!
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

hemi-hampton

Just seen this post, did not know it was here. I talked to Tom about some work before the Accident & After. I'd love to fix it but I'm no longer working in a Body shop or currently doing Mopar Resto's due to bad economy in Detroit. SO, I was working for a Company that only did Chrysler Auto Show cars including concepts & prototypes. Got slow in Summer & temporarly got laid off. During this time got a job Doing the same thing, Painting show cars & Prototype & Concepts & SEMA cars but for the other team GM. Got to sit in Transformers Bumble Bee Camaro the other day, Cool car. The past 2 companies I worked for rarely work on these type of cars for Customers they don't know. They do got me working on a 67 Camaro Convertible RS now though.  In a NUTSHELL, I have no place or time to work on it. I used to do Resto's out of my Garage but I have a 2 1/2 car Garage full with 2 Chargers. Garage is Trashed & have not painted out of it in Years. Would take all week to clean, Plus pay to store my 2 cars & then invest in some new lines, filters ect. In a NUTSHELL I'm not prepared. Wish I could help Tom out. BUT, I think he's found a Resto Shop that might have the Capabilities to do a descent job. LEON.

Ghoste

Back N Black

Just seen this post, every car guys nightmare.That really sux's.

TUFCAT

I'm in a battle with Hagerty. They want to panel paint the quarter panel.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

moparstuart

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 14, 2012, 01:20:22 PM
I'm in a battle with Hagerty. They want to panel paint the quarter panel.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:
bummer , I had heard nothing but good stuff about hagerty  :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dino

I'm sure they are looking at it from a different perspective.  I've done many many spot repairs but the truth is that eventually the thinner clear coat that was feathered and polished will break down rather fast and they don't want you to file a second claim but rather have it done once and good.

Here's the thing though.  They can spot paint the color portion and then clear coat the entire quarter.  That way it will last forever and it'll always look good and show the original paint.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bakerhillpins

Hang in there TUFFY..   :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

twodko

Man, I'm sure sorry this is turning into more of a charlie foxtrot then it already is Tuffy. Might be shooting the whole quarter would be best in the long run.  :shruggy:

Couple months back I had to have that "dammit" on my quarter panel repaired too. Not original paint but it looks flawless. At the time I was insured by Hargerty as well and they took care of it, no problem. BUT they raised my new premium by $65 for the privilege.......first claim. I switched to Heacock Insurance after that, I'd been a Hagerty customer for several years too.  :icon_smile_angry:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Aero426

Quote from: Dino on August 14, 2012, 02:46:24 PM
Here's the thing though.  They can spot paint the color portion and then clear coat the entire quarter.  That way it will last forever and it'll always look good and show the original paint.

The days of spotting in with lacquer are long past.   The way Dino describes it is the industry standard.   They are only going to put color on the small area of damage, and then clear over that.   You might be able to find someone willing to do it the old way, but it isn't going to be easy.   In addition that that since lacquer tints are not readily available, the painter can not color adjust on the fly.    The right painter will be able to make a good repair with base/clear and come up with a gloss that matches the old paint.   

hemi-hampton

With all the damage at very rear of 1/4 all they'd have to do is spot paint (basecoat) rear of 1/4 & then clear whole 1/4. LEON.

TUFCAT

Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 14, 2012, 07:32:45 PM

Hang in there TUFFY..   :2thumbs:

I'm hanging on....not saying anything until my restoration company contacts Hagerty with a quote. I'll only say the appraiser must have missed my car's original paint with 45 years of unmatchable patina.  :shruggy:

Aero426

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 14, 2012, 08:28:21 PM

I'm hanging on....not saying anything until my restoration company contacts Hagerty with a quote. I'll only say the appraiser must have missed my car's original paint with 45 years of unmatchable patina.  :shruggy:

What is the technique that your repairer wants to use to provide a pre-accident condition repair?   

TUFCAT

Quote from: Aero426 on August 14, 2012, 08:37:20 PM

What is the technique that your repairer wants to use to provide a pre-accident condition repair?    

Modern basecoat/clearcoat but unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having a basecoat/clearcoat car. :brickwall:  There's thin spots, edge wear from waxing, light petina, and touch-ups you'd expect from a car this old.

It's become a double edged sword.  If it wasn't waxed and taken care of it wouldn't look this nice after 45 years.

On other hand, if it wasn't waxed and taken care of in the last 45 years it wouldn't be so difficult to repair. :'(

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Ghoste

hemi-hampton

TUFCAT

No updates. The car sits until Hagerty can agree with the numerous body shops in the area who say the entire car needs to be repainted. The initial quote from the appraiser barely covered parts. So we'll see. I'll be moving forward and I'll keep you guys posted once I get a final quote.  Based on Hagerty's reputation I hope its good.  :yesnod:

Aero426

Understand that the initial insurance estimate was low.    The second part about shops wanting to repaint the whole car doesn't sound realistic.     I would think that insurance would argue that you are receiving betterment by refinishing the other undamaged 3/4 of the car.    Not only that, I would be sick about losing the remainder of the original paint.   I'm sure you are beyond upset by the whole deal and feel for you there.

I realize I am not there and pics don't show all the patina of your car - but there are any number of paint artists around the country who can match the color,  metallic and level of gloss in a blend repair.   Challenging repair?   Definitely.  Impossible?  No.

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

TUFCAT

Quote from: Aero426 on September 01, 2012, 11:28:21 PM
Understand that the initial insurance estimate was low.   The second part about shops wanting to repaint the whole car doesn't sound realistic.     I would think that insurance would argue that you are receiving betterment by refinishing the other undamaged 3/4 of the car.   Not only that, I would be sick about losing the remainder of the original paint.   I'm sure you are beyond upset by the whole deal and feel for you there.

I realize I am not there and pics don't show all the patina of your car - but there are any number of paint artists around the country who can match the color, metallic and level of gloss in a blend repair.   Challenging repair?   Definitely. Impossible? No.

I'm no longer sick about losing its original paint. Numerous "high end"  restoration shops already told me the survivor cherry has been popped and they won't attempt to duplicate the original look or patina based on what Hagerty will pay them - because they know I won't be happy with it.

My "sickness" ended about a month ago. Right now my main concern is making the car whole again. If this means going from an original paint survivor car to a repainted car, then I'm okay with it.

FLG

Tuffy,

How much can they massage that back without damaging it further?

If they can get it close enough why not just do that and leave it alone? Kinda seems dumb to repaint a car because of damage to the quarter and loose all its originality. Get it as good as you can without messing it up further, get a new bumper and w.e trim you might need and leave it be  :shruggy:

Yes the lines might not be perfect, and your gonna see it....but why sacrifice a survivor title because of a little misalignment and some dents? All cars have a story, a lot is lost between when it was purchased and when you got it...this is one of the few that remain time capsules of the era they came from, and im sure your dam proud of yourself when your able to tell someone the paint is original and now so are the dents. Why isnt the car perfect? Because someone used it for the past 40+ years. I rather look at a car that survived the past 40 years than one that was restored. Not saying restos are to be looked down on (heck mines in pieces) but theres a completely different feeling you get standing besides a car that was restored and one that has lived its life and made it with basically some bumps and bruises. Just my .02

1970chargerrt

Quote from: FLG on September 02, 2012, 02:24:54 AM
Tuffy,

How much can they massage that back without damaging it further?

If they can get it close enough why not just do that and leave it alone? Kinda seems dumb to repaint a car because of damage to the quarter and loose all its originality. Get it as good as you can without messing it up further, get a new bumper and w.e trim you might need and leave it be  :shruggy:

I agree.  I'm not sure I would even put a new bumper on it.  It's part of the life story of a survivor car.  It's more than a parking lot ding but not like it makes the car look like crap.  I didn't think it is worth losing the true survivor status.  If you leave it alone, years from now when people ask about it you can tell the story.  I believe you get the insurance money regardless of wether you have the work done (I've never really had a claim on any insurance).

1970Moparmann

Over the years, I've seen many cars that the owner has said "original paint except this fender". 

I haven't done any research, but is there anywhere that legally you can paint lacquer?  Or, can't a good painter get it close with a single stage paint?

That car is so original, it sucks that there aren't any options to keep the originality of the car.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!