News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TUFCAT's Original Paint '67 Coronet Rear-Ended

Started by TUFCAT, July 29, 2012, 02:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

The metal part of the repair is pretty much a non-issue.   That is the easy part.    The difficult part is matching the paint.   But it can be done.    You see hot rods with the faux patina thing going on.    There is a new build steel 32 Ford rod here in town that showed up at a meet.  It looks like it was done 60 years ago.   I'm not talking rat rod, but a car that has been waxed and loved.    The gloss is not too shiny.   It has a couple rub through spots.   You can't tell when it was done, now or then.    Some fake patina is obvious.  This one wasn't.   

The problem with a repaint is "who pays for what"?    Hagerty is probably not at all anxious to pay for a complete respray given the level of damage.   In the real world of every day collision claims, this is akin to needing a tire replaced from damage, but since the other side is close to needing replacement, both tires are replaced as a pair for safety.   The customer received some betterment in the form of the second tire and may be responsible for a portion of the bill.   

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1970chargerrt on September 02, 2012, 03:20:31 AM

I agree.  I'm not sure I would even put a new bumper on it.  It's part of the life story of a survivor car.  It's more than a parking lot ding but not like it makes the car look like crap.  I didn't think it is worth losing the true survivor status.  If you leave it alone, years from now when people ask about it you can tell the story.  I believe you get the insurance money regardless of wether you have the work done (I've never really had a claim on any insurance).

Its got to be fixed.  I'm way to anal for that.  :yesnod:

1970chargerrt

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 02, 2012, 02:48:43 PM

I agree. I'm not sure I would even put a new bumper on it. It's part of the life story of a survivor car. It's more than a parking lot ding but not like it makes the car look like crap.  I didn't think it is worth losing the true survivor status. If you leave it alone, years from now when people ask about it you can tell the story.  I believe you get the insurance money regardless of wether you have the work done (I've never really had a claim on any insurance).

Its got to be fixed. I'm way to anal for that.  :yesnod:

I can understand that too.  When I bought my 70 Charger it was all original paint but it was litterly burned through to the primer on any surface facing up and had tons of door dings, vinyl top was shot, etc.  It was just too rough to leave it as it was. 

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 1970chargerrt on September 02, 2012, 03:39:59 PM

I agree. I'm not sure I would even put a new bumper on it. It's part of the life story of a survivor car. It's more than a parking lot ding but not like it makes the car look like crap.  I didn't think it is worth losing the true survivor status. If you leave it alone, years from now when people ask about it you can tell the story.  I believe you get the insurance money regardless of wether you have the work done (I've never really had a claim on any insurance).

Its got to be fixed. I'm way to anal for that.  :yesnod:

I can understand that too.  When I bought my 70 Charger it was all original paint but it was litterly burned through to the primer on any surface facing up and had tons of door dings, vinyl top was shot, etc.  It was just too rough to leave it as it was. 

Kinda sounds like my car

Ghoste

I agree.  I'm not sure I would even put a new bumper on it.  It's part of the life story of a survivor car.  It's more than a parking lot ding but not like it makes the car look like crap.  I didn't think it is worth losing the true survivor status.  If you leave it alone, years from now when people ask about it you can tell the story.  I believe you get the insurance money regardless of wether you have the work done (I've never really had a claim on any insurance).

Its got to be fixed.  I'm way to anal for that.  :yesnod:

And the car is way too nice to be subjected to anything less.

1969chargerrtse

Good luck, we're about to learn a lot about Hagerty.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TiMopar

FJ5WING

FIRST:
I hope everything works out for you and you get resolution soon!

SECOND:
a full repaint wont steal your survivor car staus anymore, the amount of survivors with better paint than they rolled out of the factory with is multiplying every year.
20 years ago I agree, but I have a different outlook on survivor cars now!
wingless now, but still around.

Ghoste

Which is utter bullshit but since the Corvette gods decided to relax the standards everyone else is too. :brickwall:

bill440rt

The insurance company (Hagerty) cannot dictate to a shop how to repair the car, that is entirely up to them. But, they will only pay what they think is a "reasonable, fair" amount to repair the loss related damage.
Depending on what they think is fair or reasonable may entail confining the repairs/refinishing to the existing quarter panel, or possibly refinishing the entire side of the vehicle for the best match or consistent repair. For them to cover a full refinish paint job would be highly unlikely, but for your vehicle that's probably not a consideration anyway.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TUFCAT

Its not all Hagerty's fault up to this minute, its mostly mine. I still need to get a few decent quotes from shops who "can" and "are willing to" do this type of repair.

I've talked to some who said they "can", and are "willing to"...but when it comes to quoting the job they've been blowing me off left and right. I'll be out again looking for new shops in my area Thursday or Friday this week.....then I'll probably post shit about a particular shop who's been blowing me off and wasting my time for nearly four weeks. :popcrn:

Aero426

Have you considered shipping / hauling the car outside of Metro Detroit to someone who could do the repair? 

FLG

If there blowing you off now, consider yourself lucky and run...or you might be without a car for a LONG time. Wish you were on the east coast, some good guys up in MA that would take care of you.

ODZKing

Quote from: FLG on September 04, 2012, 09:19:36 PM
If there blowing you off now, consider yourself lucky and run...or you might be without a car for a LONG time. Wish you were on the east coast, some good guys up in MA that would take care of you.
I agree with Frank, they are not interested and the LAST thing you want is to get involved with a shop that does not have an interest in these cars.
I have only had one instance with Hagerty, but I found them to be as fair as they can be and helpful.

bobs66440

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 02, 2012, 12:09:06 AM
Quote from: Aero426 on September 01, 2012, 11:28:21 PM
Understand that the initial insurance estimate was low.   The second part about shops wanting to repaint the whole car doesn't sound realistic.     I would think that insurance would argue that you are receiving betterment by refinishing the other undamaged 3/4 of the car.   Not only that, I would be sick about losing the remainder of the original paint.   I'm sure you are beyond upset by the whole deal and feel for you there.

I realize I am not there and pics don't show all the patina of your car - but there are any number of paint artists around the country who can match the color, metallic and level of gloss in a blend repair.   Challenging repair?   Definitely. Impossible? No.

I'm no longer sick about losing its original paint. Numerous "high end"  restoration shops already told me the survivor cherry has been popped and they won't attempt to duplicate the original look or patina based on what Hagerty will pay them - because they know I won't be happy with it.
I would have to agree. I understand the attractiveness and desire to keep it original, but if it's been touched up in the past, is really totally original? Where do you draw the line? And now with this, unfortunately it kind of seals it IMO. It's all a state of mind. If you got a really nice high quality repaint, you will probably eventually learn to love the beauty of a pristine new looking car. I would anyway.

I'm surprised by the issues with Hagerty. I had an almost identical situation and they were great.  :shruggy: I guess it depends largely on the appraiser. He's really the one that supplies them with the info and advice on how to handle it I suppose.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 29, 2012, 05:53:38 PM
Getting rear ended is one of my biggest concerns when I take my car out. I feel for you and I hope this gets resolved painlessly and to your satisfaction.

:iagree:

Hopefully it has.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

TUFCAT

Hi everyone,

The good news is I finally settled with Hagerty insurance today, for an amount close to the cost of getting the entire car repainted.  There's no body shop in Southeastern Michigan willing to take on the project of matching original paint and patina of this car so....  

The bad news is the word "unrestored" will never be spoken again, and I'll end up paying a few grand on non insurance related items in order to do some things that need to be done. Its a bittersweet situation because after 45 years of virginity a new chapter is coming. I hope its fun.  :D

Overall I'm happy with Hagerty because they were fair and equitable, and preserved my vehicle as a collector car and not a patched up POS using the "who pays for what" formula...  

Ghoste

Sorry and happy for you pal, for the same reasons that you are feeling the same things.  :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Glad to hear it Tom. I look forward to watching its progress.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on October 18, 2012, 09:03:12 PM
Sorry and happy for you pal, for the same reasons that you are feeling the same things.  :2thumbs:
Thanks Ghoste.  I would be remiss if I didn't thank many board members who offered their advise. You know who you are and it was much appreciated.
Special thanks to Brian (1HotDaytona), Paul (69 OUR/TEA), and Bill (Bill440RT) who spent evenings on the phone or exchanging PM's to ensure my thoughts were going in the right direction. :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TUFCAT

Rob, great to see you back here :icon_smile_wink:.  Brian, I'll definately post pictures.  :popcrn:

1970Moparmann

Sucks that it won't be unrestored anymore, but at least Hagerty stepped up.  :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Brass

Sorry, man.  I'm glad you have a good perspective on it.

charge69

Really sorry to hear about the "not calling it unrestored" thing but I am also glad Hagerty Insurance stepped up. I also have Hagerty's and certainly would expect them to do right by me.

It will end up being an even more awesome Coronet !