News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

secondaries arent opening

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, July 28, 2012, 07:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

this is on my 750 vac sec. holley with a proform main body. it has the lightest (white) spring in it.  i varified this by using the paperclip trick on the rod. the clip was right at the top of the rod where i put it.  i took the whole pod off and checked function with a low psi shot of compressed air. it was leaking so i took it apart and checked it out. i couldnt find any damage so i put it back together, the tried the air again. the rod moved easily this time even if i put some finger pressure on it.there was still a little air seeping out of the hole the rod exits from. the cork gaskit looks good that seals it to the carb.

after doing this i trieds the paperclip trick again and still nothing.   it started to rain like crazy so my session was cut short.

the engine produces 12" of vacuum at idle at 3 1/4 turns out. thats the highest i could get it and the a/f ratio is good aswell at this setting.

i hald the throttle wide open and opened the secondaries manually and they flopped right open with almost no effort. so their definatly not hitting anything.

should i just replace the diaphram? or is there something else going on?

im seriously contemplating a doublepumper just not sure how big to go as i have a few more mods planned for next year.

c00nhunterjoe

How much is "low psi"? If air was leaking you probably popped th diaphram. I was never a fan of vac secondaries.  My vote goes to the double pumper.

Brightyellow69rtse

pretty low im not sure but it wasnt much. it was under ten.  ill pull it apart again to check it out.

firefighter3931

Mike, if it's leaking either the diaphram or cork gasket is suspect.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

the port feeding the vacuum from the venturi could be blocked , try some compressed air through there

Brightyellow69rtse

whats your guys thoughts on the steel ball? some people say remove it some say leave it in.  ill blow out the passages to make sure everythings clear.

c00nhunterjoe

Id getting working right before you modify it.  Still say if you had air coming out the diaphram or gasket is toast.