News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bullitt vs. Vanishing Point

Started by 73-charger-383, July 28, 2012, 07:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-charger-383

I've never seen either movie yet.....In celebration of finally being ready for paint i'm going to reward myself with watching one of them tonight....what would you suggest?

Ghoste

Both.  Sorry thats just the way it is.  You might as well come on here asking if you should date a brunette or a blonde.

myk

Exactly, the correct answer is D: Bullitt, Vanishing Point, Blond and Brunette, or all of the above...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Kern Dog

Bullitt was a B O R E H O L E !!!
The movie bored the hell out of me. The only redeeming parts were the chase scene. A sheet of plywood had more charisma than Steve McQueen. The movie moved slow with minimal action.
Vanishing Point? Oh, hell yeah! It wasn't just the action or the driving. The music was cool. The supporting actors were interesting. The whole "Anti-establishment" theme was well represented. I was 6 years old when Vanishing Point came out, but I first saw it on TV in the early 80s. It is my all time favorite classic Mopar related movie.
I wouldn't recomend that you skip Bullitt, just be aware that the movie got its fame from a single chase scene embedded in a mediocre movie.

c00nhunterjoe

I agree. Bullit bored me until theend. Vanishing point is muc more enjoyable to watch. The remake is pretty good too. There's always 2 lane black top.

FJ5WING

you guys dont like Bullitt because the Charger gets it butt kicked by the Lil Mussytang! :smilielol:
wingless now, but still around.

elacruze

Prolly too late, but VP! I've watched VP maybe 50 times, and Bullitt 10.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

69 OUR/TEA

If you want to watch a more car action movie with a green Mustang chasing a bad guy in a black 68 Charger.......the orig "Cannonball" with David Carradine. :D

Bob T

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on July 28, 2012, 11:09:19 PM
If you want to watch a more car action movie with a green Mustang chasing a bad guy in a black 68 Charger.......the orig "Cannonball" with David Carradine. :D

We had a Car Club run to a movie night the other weekend and the movie was Cannonball, had'nt seen it before, the cheese was ladeled on heavy in 70's fashion but not too bad a movie for what it was. Man, they beat the Hell out of that Black 68 Charger, the club guys were calling it out as my car  :D
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

TK73

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 28, 2012, 08:49:37 PM
I agree. Bullit bored me until theend. Vanishing point is muc more enjoyable to watch. The remake is pretty good too. There's always 2 lane black top.

2 Lane Blacktop is cool... once
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Fred

Car movies.........I enjoy them all.  I watch them for the cars and don't set my expectations too high. I except them for what they are.   :Twocents:
Good or bad..........I've got every one of them in my collection.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

myk

Bullitt was a bore but I tried to look at it as an exercise in cool.  No matter what went down, people shooting at him, black Chargers stalking him, a@@hole bosses and most deadly of all: angry whiny girlfriends, Bullitt was too cool to care.  I guess you could say this was also the result of McQueen's inability to act, but whatever.

Quote from: Fred on July 29, 2012, 01:02:14 AM
Car movies.........I enjoy them all.  I watch them for the cars and don't set my expectations too high. I except them for what they are.   :Twocents:

Even....The Wraith?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

tan top

neither !!     Dirty Mary Crazy larry  every time  ;D

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :popcrn:

the original vanishing point is a brilliant film for challenger action  watched that prolly hundreds of times  ,  Bullit ok  , but only fast forward to the Charger stuff  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TheGhost

Aye, DMCL is my favorite.  I own Vanishing Point, but have only watched it once.  Never seen Bullit.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Fred

Quote from: myk on July 29, 2012, 02:10:17 AM
Bullitt was a bore but I tried to look at it as an exercise in cool.  No matter what went down, people shooting at him, black Chargers stalking him, a@@hole bosses and most deadly of all: angry whiny girlfriends, Bullitt was too cool to care.  I guess you could say this was also the result of McQueen's inability to act, but whatever.

Quote from: Fred on July 29, 2012, 01:02:14 AM

Even....The Wraith?

Yes .   :popcrn:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

bill440rt

I am one of the few that actually like the movie Bullitt.
I watched it first when I was young, didn't like it & thought it was boring. Then I watched it again when I was much older, I thought perhaps there was something else to it that I missed when I was younger. I liked it much better as I got older.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Kern Dog

Maybe I'll sit through Bullit when I turn 60. That leaves me 14 years to mature.

36 Dodge Brothers

I was born and raised in San Francisco and for that reason I would say Bullitt but like Tan Top mentioned Dirty Mary Crazy Larry is the way to go :2thumbs:
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

Mike DC

Aside from the chase, "Bullitt" was probably more notable for its influence on future work than the movie itself.  The realism of the whole movie and the too-cool attitude of McQueen were new things at the time.  

"Vanishing Point" ages better but it was always a B-movie.  It's a product of the days when pro film crews could do weird artsy things.  It's more fun than "Bullitt" but the story doesn't make a lot of sense.  

myk

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 30, 2012, 12:09:56 AM

Aside from the chase, "Bullitt" was probably more notable for its influence on future work than the movie itself.  The realism of the whole movie and the too-cool attitude of McQueen were new things at the time.  

"Vanishing Point" ages better but it was always a B-movie.  It's a product of the days when pro film crews could do weird artsy things.  It's more fun than "Bullitt" but the story doesn't make a lot of sense.  

100% agree with that; personally I couldn't stand Vanishing Point-the first one OR the second one!

Cooter

It kills me how many actually look for meaning in ANY film, car or otherwise from the early 1970's. WTF? You had to be high in order to enjoy them. That was the whole point.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

67440chrg

Bullitt. The Charger was the faster of the two real cars used in the movie.

moparstuart

yup they had to de tune the motor so it didnt out shine the hero
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Kern Dog

DEtune?
Uhhh, no they didn't. Get the facts straight. Bill Hickman simply drove slower to allow the Mustang to catch up.