News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD 6AL wiring

Started by hemi68charger, July 28, 2012, 10:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Putting together the MSD 6AL system on my friend '71 Challenger R/T. Curious, all the wires seem to be rather obvious for me, except the red wire that apparently, according to the wiring diagram supplied, goes to the original coil + wire. Would that be the 12V feed on the ballast resistor? It seems on the 6-series modules, the white wire isn't used. Also, apparently you can order the harness PN 8860...

Thanks..
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

firefighter3931

Troy,

The heavy Red goes to the positive battery terminal or you can connect to the starter relay post which is what i allways use.

The heavy Black is ground. I use the firewall where the engine ground strap is connected

The small red is your trigger wire. This is connected to ignition run and ignition start which are the brown & blue wires coming from the bulkhead. The ballist resistor gets deleted.

The orange and black wires are coil pos & neg

The green and purple wires connect the distributor pickup. The 8860 harness is required or you can splice in your own wiring and run it to the distributor.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hemi68charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 29, 2012, 02:24:52 AM
Troy,

The heavy Red goes to the positive battery terminal or you can connect to the starter relay post which is what i allways use.

The heavy Black is ground. I use the firewall where the engine ground strap is connected

The small red is your trigger wire. This is connected to ignition run and ignition start which are the brown & blue wires coming from the bulkhead. The ballist resistor gets deleted.

The green and purple wires connect the distributor pickup. The 8860 harness is required or you can splice in your own wiring and run it to the distributor.

Ron

Hey Ron...
Hoss new wiring harness for everything. For the engine harness, he bought the version that incorporates the electron ignition. I see on that harness they incorporated the 4-prong ballast resistor plugs. With that said, I see the one terminal that has the brown and blue wire going to it. I would plug the red wire into that? I'm going to see if he wants to spend the money to get an OEM harness. Otherwise, he's going to have a lot of unused plugs (distributor lead, the control module plug and the 3 other ballast resistor plugs). Does all that make sense. AND, if he chooses to get an OEM points-type of harness, then I would just connect the blue and brown wire that would be the two leads into the ballast resistor (hence eliminating it) and then splice the red wire into that. I wouldn't be using the white wire in any situation, correct?

T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

firefighter3931

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 29, 2012, 08:29:04 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 29, 2012, 02:24:52 AM
Troy,

Ron

AND, if he chooses to get an OEM points-type of harness, then I would just connect the blue and brown wire that would be the two leads into the ballast resistor (hence eliminating it) and then splice the red wire into that. I wouldn't be using the white wire in any situation, correct?

T

Yep, the oem points harness is the easiest to use. Simply connect the blue/brown wires to the small red (trigger wire) from the MSD box. The brown & blue (bulkhead) are engine start and engine run. Both need to be connected because the box needs to be powered up in the start and run position of the ignition circuit. The ballast is no longer required because the MSD box now powers the coil directly (orange/black).  :yesnod:

The white wire is not used....that is correct.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs