News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 charger for 22k (pictures)

Started by 1974dodgecharger, July 27, 2012, 09:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

So I went out yesterday to go look at a 69 and asking price of 22k. Currently the car has a bad tranny, 440 (bored over and stroked to 472 he claims), and he plans to take the engine out and put in a new rebuilt engine 440 to stock specs and he has a new 727 tranny for it also all will be installed before purchase.

Took some pics of the car looks pretty good for the price range he is asking for saw one cancerous spot. Interior is decent everything looks good for a car thats this old and redone, but not rotissieore though.

What do you guys think the starting price should be based on pics? Though I asked if he was firm he said he is willing to negotiate in my hand as I was walking about I was thinking 18k car.

69chargerboy

Honestly I would offer him maybe 13 to 15k.  Well, by the pictures and description looks like it needs possibly engine work, body work, paint and looks like the wiring could be a concern. Is this an R/T? Matching numbers? It doesn't have to be, just trying to gauge a value. If he says the engine is bored and whatever, why does he want to change it? How does it run? Hows all the chrome? Frame in good shape? May need new tires..
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 69chargerboy on July 27, 2012, 09:28:01 AM
Honestly I would offer him 13 to 15k. It needs a transmission, maybe engine, body work, paint and looks like the wiring could be a concern. Is this an R/T? Matching numbers? It doesnt have to be, just trying to gauge a value. Frame in good shape?

thats what he was offering was a rebuilt engine and new tranny to the buyer. Nothing on the guages work so yes the wiring is a gambit for sure. Its a clone R/T he put the stickers on and non matching. Frame looked good overall....

Wow 13 to 15k...you think thats a lowball offer or just a counter offer to see what he saids?

Troy

There's no way I'd pay $18k for it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

B5charger

I'd offer 12k and not go any higher than 15, and that's getting a little high just going by your pics.  What else is wrong once you get some time to really give it a good look?

69chargerboy

Well, how much work would you want to put into it? I can only fix so much on my car. Body and paint are not my thing, so I would have to rely on a good body and paint guy. By the pics my body guy would probably charge me around 5 to 8k for a complete job. Wiring, who knows, I see a few splices in the wiring and looks like he hooked up a amp for a sub in the trunk or something. I know my estimate was a bit low, but I may be looking to put around  8k plus into it, to have it done the way I want.  :Twocents:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

DadsCharger00

so if realistically a person could spend the extra 5k for the body and paint, and that was taken care of what kind of price is the car worth? I mean, I'm WAY NEW to this game, but I've seen worse go for a lot more then 18K. I would figure that having a new motor (which I understand in and of itself is a bit nerve racking) and a new tranny (again, I get the concern) would increase the value of the car a little. And I was figuring the car to be a driver for a couple of years before the areas of concern would really need to be tackled. Am I way out of line?

Highbanked Hauler

Having done crash work forever that trunk floor looks to be a bit of concern.  Figure the price of one done right as to what you would pay for repairs on this one. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: Troy on July 27, 2012, 09:39:38 AM
There's no way I'd pay $18k for it.

Troy

:iagree:

18K? with a gun, maybe.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 69chargerboy on July 27, 2012, 09:51:32 AM
Well, how much work would you want to put into it? I can only fix so much on my car. Body and paint are not my thing, so I would have to rely on a good body and paint guy. By the pics my body guy would probably charge me around 5 to 8k for a complete job. Wiring, who knows, I see a few splices in the wiring and looks like he hooked up a amp for a sub in the trunk or something. I know my estimate was a bit low, but I may be looking to put around  8k plus into it, to have it done the way I want.  :Twocents:

very, very, very good eye you have  :2thumbs: he did say he hooked up a sub of some sorts..he called a 'boomer' thingy. yes the wires is are a comlete mess for sure....

The more I Look at the pictures I have (54 of them) less I think of the car at the price point.

ALL PICS HERE:  http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/shift4knights/charger69travis/

tan top

would not pay  18k for that  ,  going to  need rear quarters & all the associated metal that goes along with them  ,   hard to tell ,   really  pictures are not the best  :Twocents:

think 14k if he leaves the elephant in place , then again who knows whats under  shiny paint ,  bondo over rust is  starting to bubble on the driver side rear quarter , by the looks of it  , tells me the repairs wernt  done that good  :scratchchin: , just my opinion  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: tan top on July 27, 2012, 01:55:25 PM
would not pay  18k for that  ,  going to  need rear quarters & all the associated metal that goes along with them  ,   hard to tell ,   really  pictures are not the best  :Twocents:

think 14k if he leaves the elephant in place , then again who knows whats under  shiny paint ,  bondo over rust is  starting to bubble on the driver side rear quarter , by the looks of it  , tells me the repairs wernt  done that good  :scratchchin: , just my opinion  :shruggy:

Agreed.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

cdr

so leave the hemi in it & buy it
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ChargerBill

I didn't see where he mentioned a Hemi...just a stroked 440 up to 472. Honestly, looking at your pics, you have cancer under all those bubbles, the engine bay is a mess. Looks like the heater and A/C aren't hooked up so likely not functional, there's a rear main or tranny leak - or both, the dash has been cut for that stereo. You're looking at 6K to 10K to fix everything - paint, engine, trans, interior, engine bay, heater A/C (if you wanted to) and the car is still a clone.

To answer your question - if the car was pristine, even as a clone, it would be worth 25K to 30K (maybe more), but as it sits I'd give as little as I could. 14K or less IMO.
Life is a highway...

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: ChargerBill on July 27, 2012, 03:29:41 PM
I didn't see where he mentioned a Hemi...just a stroked 440 up to 472. Honestly, looking at your pics, you have cancer under all those bubbles, the engine bay is a mess. Looks like the heater and A/C aren't hooked up so likely not functional, there's a rear main or tranny leak - or both, the dash has been cut for that stereo. You're looking at 6K to 10K to fix everything - paint, engine, trans, interior, engine bay, heater A/C (if you wanted to) and the car is still a clone.

To answer your question - if the car was pristine, even as a clone, it would be worth 25K to 30K (maybe more), but as it sits I'd give as little as I could. 14K or less IMO.

WOW, thx CB for the info...yeah the heater he does not have at all!!!!!  He has NOTHING....

cdr

Quote from: ChargerBill on July 27, 2012, 03:29:41 PM

LOOKS LIKE A HEMI IN THE PICTURES
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

doctor4766

Thats probably why he's gonna replace it with a rebuilt 440 and keep the Hemi for himself.
Maybe he thinks you wouldnt notice the difference....
Gotta love a '69

ChargerBill

Yeah, if the guy is talking up a 440, then the Hemi isn't part of the deal, if it was, I'd give him 15K to 17K, depending on what Hemi it is. From what he's being told by the seller, there is no Hemi that goes with the car.
Life is a highway...

68coronetGLwannabe

Here is another 69 for sale out S/E of Phoenix. No pics, but its an R/T SE

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3163488204.html
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: ChargerBill on July 27, 2012, 06:54:21 PM
Yeah, if the guy is talking up a 440, then the Hemi isn't part of the deal, if it was, I'd give him 15K to 17K, depending on what Hemi it is. From what he's being told by the seller, there is no Hemi that goes with the car.

correct CB the Hemi is not part of the deal.

1. he plans to take out the hemi
2. install a new fresh build 440
3. install a new 727 tranny

Its a Hemi bored and stroked to a 472 thats currently in there now. Claims its a 20k engine...he cant part with it.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on July 27, 2012, 06:58:15 PM

:o  I'd be on the phone about that car quick and get someone local all warmed up to go check it out before I called.

AC car so it's an auto.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

chargerboy69

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 27, 2012, 08:12:49 PM

:o  I'd be on the phone about that car quick and get someone local all warmed up to go check it out before I called.

AC car so it's an auto.

Is it that way only with Chargers?  My 69 Bee is a 4 spd factory A/C car.

Sorry, back on topic.  ;)
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

1974dodgecharger

AC car so it's an auto.

im being lazy been in contact with him and ment to go see him today, but got busy. IM not a crazy numbers matching kinda guy or R/T name thingy....at 25k and needing body work Ill pass unless a fellow forum member wants me to go look at for him since he is near me really close.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: chargerboy69 on July 27, 2012, 08:17:23 PM

AC car so it's an auto.

Is it that way only with Chargers?  My 69 Bee is a 4 spd factory A/C car.

Sorry, back on topic.  ;)

68-70 (don't know about other years) you could only get AC on a 4spd car if it was a 383. Once you moved to a 440 AC was only available on auto cars. Since it's an R/T it's a 440.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 27, 2012, 08:23:37 PM
im being lazy been in contact with him and ment to go see him today, but got busy. IM not a crazy numbers matching kinda guy or R/T name thingy....at 25k and needing body work Ill pass unless a fellow forum member wants me to go look at for him since he is near me really close.

I have my own but always like to shop.. Man I need to become independently wealthy.  :icon_smile_big:  Once again, I wonder if DadsCharger00 would be interested.

Yes, 25k might be a lot but an RT/SE AC car ... well...   :drool5:   Needing body work leaves alot to the imagination.  :yesnod:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

ChargerBill

Life is a highway...