News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lift driver's side of engine, how?

Started by Dino, July 26, 2012, 08:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I can only assume that lifting the engine a bit on the driver's side will greatly diminish the amount of swearing I will be doing while replacing the gasket on the header.  So what exactly do I unbolt, where do I place the jack and how high can I jack it up without ruining anything?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XH29N0G

:popcrn: 

I'd like to know the right way too. 

I loosened the motor mount (removing the bolt) and lifted from the oil pan, which worked but also dented it - not good.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

Quote from: jfarquha on July 26, 2012, 08:41:47 AM
:popcrn: 

I'd like to know the right way too. 

I loosened the motor mount (removing the bolt) and lifted from the oil pan, which worked but also dented it - not good.

Someone may have done the same on mine as the oil pan is dented as well.  A good block of wood may prevent further dents but I'd rather not touch the oil pan at all. 

justcruisin

Yep, remove the bolt from the mount, best way to lift the engine is with an engine lifter from the top or a chain block. Only thing else that you need to do is unbolt the radiator shroud from the radiator and leave it hanging on the fan.

AirborneSilva

MANY MANY years ago I had to lift mine up to change the starter (w/headers), I unbolted the header from the collector, the motor mount and then I too jacked it from the oil pan (using a large piece of wood to ensure the weight was distributed as much as possible), the did LOTS of swearing, what a pain it was to change the starter  :brickwall:

justcruisin

Also I recall in my early days with limited gear, doing a similar thing - I jacked the car up on the k member, attached a chain from the engine to a beam in the garage and slowly let the car down. Just make sure you have a well controlled jack.

Dino

Hmm I may have a bottle jack somewhere.  If not, that'll be a good buy anyway as I really don't care for the Charger jack!  

I don't have a hoist or beam strong enough to hold a car, that would be sweet though.  I'll do my best to protect the oil pan.  I'll google tham and see how much they are, maybe I should just replace mine since it's dented.

Thanks all!

ps: I don't have a fan shroud, is any mopar shroud for a 26" rad ok or do I need a specific one? 

XH29N0G

If yours is already dented, then I would go ahead with your original plan of lifting.  Mine was dented a fair amount (I think it is strongest at the bends and weakes in the middle) and I did not notice significant problems with oil pressure.  I also did not drive my car crazily. 

There are others who know a whole lot more about the geometry and problems that might arise who will pipe in if it is a problem.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....