News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need some experienced eyes

Started by Brian in GA, July 26, 2012, 07:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian in GA

Okay, guys, take a look at this and tell me what you think.  This car was originally listed on craigslist, about a 2 1/2 hour drive away from me, for $21k.  Obviously he didn't get it, so now it's on ebay.  I've contacted him about the car, he has the vin plate, fender tag and build sheet on the car.  Rust spot at the rear glass, trunk has been replaced, some rust at the rear lower quarters.  I notice in one of the pics the headliner is torn, the front seats are aftermarket and of course the hood is incorrect.  At any rate, I'd appreciate you eyeballing it and tell me what you see and what questions I should ask.  I've been in contact with him, this was originally a red PP1 car with a/c.  Original motor long gone.  I told him if it didn't sell on ebay, I could come look at it and maybe we could strike a deal.  He's had the car since 89, did a resto in the early 90's, but has since had several back surgeries and doesn't do anything with it anymore, so the missus says it's got to go from the garage.  

I was thinking, without seeing it, if I could get into it at $18k, I'd be okay.   Let me know what you think, and thanks!  

First the craigslist link:     http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3114765815.html

and the ebay link:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dodge-Charger-R-T-/140802898230?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20c881b936

I'm about halfway hoping somebody talks me out of it! Looks like it needs a pretty good going over, with bodywork and paint included as well as interior, and that's a lot of cash to put into one to restore.   

67_Dodge_Charger

This is a car that needs body work and paint.  Other than the drive train this car is one that you should not get too excited about.  It is no longer original, rear end gear, motor, hood, vinyl liner, steering wheel, headers, not original motor and he may/may-not have the original six pack setup.

Walkaway from this car, it needs a lot of body work and paint.  He does not have the original engine, rear end or hood.   :popcrn:

Ghoste

Original Six pack setup?  You couldn't get a six pack on a 68 Charger so I owuldn't worry too much about it being included.  I don't know the condition of the car but it is well modified from original.

1974dodgecharger

a month or two ago (I think same care and area) he was asking 18k for it....now he rasied it after not able to sell it after so long?

Ghoste

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on July 26, 2012, 09:12:56 AM
Maybe it improved with age?

'DODGE CHARGERS GO UP IN VALUE DAILY'  ::)

Brian in GA

Thanks, guys.  Yeah, 67, I was thinking the same.  It's nice to have an R/T with the buildsheet, fender tag and vin plate, but if it's been modified so much, it actually DECREASES the value.  I can't help but think of the money I'd have to put in it for original front buckets, freshening up the interior, and the paint and bodywork.  I appreciate your honest input. 

Don't get me wrong, it'd be a nice car to tool around in, but it's a long way from being where I'd like it to be.  Plus I'd have to swap out those gears to take it on more than a 5 mile trip.   

Ghoste

It'd be a blast on the short trips though. :lol:  But yeah, if it needs all that work and a bunch of parts too, you are making the right choice.  One of the higher production model years so if a 68 is what you are after you will certainly be able to find one.

Steve P.

I have placed adds on CL myself and after not selling I will wait a few weeks and re-list at a higher price. Sometimes I am caught and sometimes not, but usually it will sell.. Some saw the original post and ask. Some don't know it was the same parts and grab them before they figure they can't get them.. Who knows, but it sometimes works..  :shruggy:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

hatersaurusrex

Where are you guys getting the 'needs a lot of body work' from?  It may well be, but I don't see anything in the pics indicating it's a rustbucket.   
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

DixieRestoParts

This really hinges on what you're looking for, how much money you can spend and what your restoration skills are.

If you can afford it, buy a better car. If not, and you will have to pay someone for the repair work, then you'll likely be upside down real fast not including any parts you buy. If you want an old hot rod to drive, you could probably buy and drive like it is and be ok, providing you can get it for about 12-15K and it doesn't need any major mechanical work.

If you have great resto skills and this is your dream car, then go for it. Just realize what you're getting into. The owner didn't "restore" the car. He might think he did, but all he did was hot rod a tired old car and cover up it's history with some paint. 

Just my  :Twocents: and worth what you paid for it.

Randy
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Brian in GA

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on July 26, 2012, 11:34:21 PM
Just realize what you're getting into. The owner didn't "restore" the car. He might think he did, but all he did was hot rod a tired old car and cover up it's history with some paint. 

Man, that pretty much sums it up.  I'm gonna let this one pass.

Stretch

I think he needs to dubble, perhaps tripel his asking price! That car is one of none! What with the pre production 6pak and all! Hell it's a 6 pack car with AC!!! Thats even rarer yet!!! That thing must be some kind of prototype with rare ass parts like that!  :lol:

I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!