News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I use a garden hose to flush the coolant out?

Started by Dino, July 26, 2012, 07:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Our outside tap is unfiltered water and if I use it to rinse my black car it'll leave white water spots all over.  I'm guessing it's high calcium levels.

Would this be ok to flush the coolant system?  I plan on draining the whole thing, taking the plugs out of the block and then was hoping I could just stick the hose in the rad and let it run until it is clear.  Good or bad idea?

I looked for what type of coolant to use and it looks like there's alot of different products you guys use.  Can I just buy a 50/50 mix, pour it in and be done with it or do you recommend something else.  What's the capacity?  Near stock 440, daily cruiser.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

You can buy a back flush system from your local parts store that hooks up to a garden hose. Don't turn the pressure up too high as you can do more harm than good. Flush till water runs clear but make sure you drain and refill with distilled water/coolant mix. You won't get all of the water out but the anti corrosive additives in the coolant should protect you if you get the majority of it.

Dino

I looked at those but decided not to go that route as I don't want to cut my hoses or buy more hoses I don't need.  I was hoping I could just remove the drain plugs on the block and stuff a hose in the water pump.  Ideally I could stick the hose in the rad and let the engine run with the plugs off but that's probably not the best idea.

When I removed the header bolts the coolant was green and clean so maybe the flush is not needed but I figured it may be good to do anyway.

You don't need much hose, less than a foot would do and won't cost more than a few bucks, and a lot less hassle than removing the plugs.

Dino

Quote from: 440 on July 26, 2012, 08:02:35 AM
You don't need much hose, less than a foot would do and won't cost more than a few bucks, and a lot less hassle than removing the plugs.

Good point!

tan top

what i do / & would do ,  take radiator off &  flush it as a seperate item ,   same with the  heater core ,  disconect  both hoses from water pump housing , & stick a garden hose in the inlet hose  :yesnod:
block  remove drain bolts/taps  prolly need poking through with a screwdriver as sediment has sealed up the hole
  always use 50 /50 mix with antifreeze  ,   

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dino

Quote from: tan top on July 26, 2012, 08:22:38 AM
  what i do / & would do ,  take radiator off &  flush it as a seperate item ,   same with the  heater core ,  disconect  both hoses from water pump housing , & stick a garden hose in the inlet hose  :yesnod:
block  remove drain bolts/taps  prolly need poking through with a screwdriver as sediment has sealed up the hole
  always use 50 /50 mix with antifreeze  ,   

:popcrn:

Ahh I forgot, I bypassed the water valve because it's stuck on open and the last thing I need right now is more heat!

So the theory is that if the water valve is open and I hook up the hoses to them, one goes into a bucket, the other gets the hose and you just run until clear?  Will it not leave water in the heater core or is that not a problem?

c00nhunterjoe

Why not just open the drain on the radiator, let the engine run, and stick the hose in the top of the radiator.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 26, 2012, 07:11:33 PMjavascript:void(0);
Why not just open the drain on the radiator, let the engine run, and stick the hose in the top of the radiator.
'

If you pull the thermostat would be able to clean it out in no time.

With the back flush there's no need to remove the thermostat .

Dino

It's just two bolts to remove the thermostat right?  I would like to see what type it is, just out of curiosity.  So if it's out put the hose in the top of the pump?

Something tells me I'm going to make a mess!   :icon_smile_big:

crankypat

could of removed thermostat and flushed and then replaced thermostat and coolant. flush good, clear. just did mine today. :cheers: :2thumbs: have to reflush tomorrow again still crap  on top tubes.  :2thumbs: