News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

instrument panel bulb out and feeling lazy

Started by billschroeder5842, July 18, 2012, 09:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I'm feeling super lazy as I just pulled the instrument cluster out a few weeks ago....

My turn signal bulb for my right side just went out on my instrument cluster. The signal flashes normally (front, rear, hhod) so I know it is the cluster bulb.

Can I swap out a bulb without taking the cluster out? I just had the whole assembly out a couple of weeks ago!

I'll do it if I I have to as it is relatively easy, but if I can skip it I will.

thanks!
Texas Proud!

FLG

Dont quote me, but i know on my 73 i can reach up there under the dash.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

FLG

Quote from: Fred on July 19, 2012, 03:34:45 AM
So can I on my '68

There ya go, but it might be easier for Fred considering his dash is upside down.

Dino

Yep you can get to it but if you have a/c it'll be tight.

Funny, the only thing wrong with my cluster was that same bulb, after restoring the whole thing it was one of the few things that worked.   :icon_smile_big:

Btw, I never did replace the bulb.  All of a sudden it just worked.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dino on July 19, 2012, 09:39:13 AM

If you didn't clean out the socket and the base of the bulb chances are it will stop working again soon.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dino

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 19, 2012, 10:04:18 AM

If you didn't clean out the socket and the base of the bulb chances are it will stop working again soon.

That's the funny part, I did clean all the connectors and such, removed all the bulbs and cleaned those as well.  It was then that I realized one was busted so I started testing them and they all worked!  Maybe the connection was dirty when I took it apart?   :shruggy:

It was one of those moments where something actually worked out in my favor so I didn't question it but just accepted it.   :icon_smile_big:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dino on July 19, 2012, 10:07:26 AM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 19, 2012, 10:04:18 AM

That's the funny part, I did clean all the connectors and such, removed all the bulbs and cleaned those as well.  It was then that I realized one was busted so I started testing them and they all worked!  Maybe the connection was dirty when I took it apart?   :shruggy:

It was one of those moments where something actually worked out in my favor so I didn't question it but just accepted it.   :icon_smile_big:

:icon_smile_big:   Bulbs and sockets are the bane of my existence when restoring pinball machines. In the end it is usually easier to just replace the socket as well as the bulb.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

tan top

yeah it can be done , even changed all the bulbs ,    done all mine with the front seat in ,  head down  side of  brake pedal , legs over the top of the seat ,  course  that was 23 years ago ,  i was about prolly  55 pounds lighter & more agile being 18 years old  :yesnod: ,  i cant even get my shoulders in there  hands up there now with out dropping the column & taking the front seat out now :icon_smile_blackeye:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

billschroeder5842

Thanks everyone! I'll try working the bulb from under the dash (I do have A/C) but if that does not work, I'll loosen the cluster, tip it forward and switch-er-roo.
Texas Proud!

billschroeder5842

Well, I got lucky! I reached up under the dash (I had to remove the A/C vent and found that the bulb had fallen out of the socket.

Easy fix. I'm going to enjoy the occasional easy fix.
Texas Proud!

Dino

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on July 22, 2012, 08:14:56 AM
Well, I got lucky! I reached up under the dash (I had to remove the A/C vent and found that the bulb had fallen out of the socket.

Easy fix. I'm going to enjoy the occasional easy fix.

Sometimes it just works out, it's rare but it happens!   :2thumbs:

Fred

Quote from: FLG on July 19, 2012, 04:37:43 AM
Quote from: Fred on July 19, 2012, 03:34:45 AM
So can I on my '68

There ya go, but it might be easier for Fred considering his dash is upside down.

Stop the world...............I want to get off!!  :smilielol:

A383Wing

Sorry Fred, you paid for the full ride....you ain't that lucky

Bryan

Fred

Well then Bryan, lucky it's only a one way ticket, I'd hate to have to come back. :-\