News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacement VIN tag for damaged dash VIN?

Started by Ryan, July 22, 2012, 03:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

Hey guys,

Question for you. Does anyone offer Replacement factory styled VIN tags for the dash? I slipped with my DA sander and hit the dash tag and the last few letters are not as sharp as the others. They are still legible but I would like to make it look better. I would imagine that this is a very controversial topic for some. Not looking to do anything illegal or immoral just want my VIN tag to look good. 

Thanks

Ryan
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Brock Lee

Quote from: Ryan on July 22, 2012, 03:46:37 PM
Not looking to do anything illegal or immoral just want my VIN tag to look good. 

In the eyes of the law, tampering with a VIN tag is illegal. States do not even endorse replica tags. They instead issue a tag that looks nothing like factory that gets mounted in a door jamb.

Ghoste

Which isn't to say such services aren't out there, they're just on the ragged edge of illegal (or completely so) and they don't advertise so your work is cut out to try and find them.

daytona71

Ryan
Galen used to make reproduction tags from badly rusted ones. He might have dash VIN plates too. He is extremely swamped at the moment
His contact info

Galen's Tag Service, LLC.
Galen V. Govier
PO Box 516
Prairie du Chien, WI  53821-0516
(608) 326-6346 VOX
(608) 326-8061 FAX
(608) 326-6346 Voice
(608) 326-8061 Fax

Brock Lee

Galen farms out the tag stamping to Tags Backeast.

vancamp

DAY CLONA

www.datatags.com "may" still do VIN tags,...you'll need ALL your paperwork, title, fender tag pics/rubbing, etc, and whatever else they require from you...most states allow you to replace a damaged/lost VIN tag with a repro....make sure you get the correct rivets

Alaskan_TA

Note the word 'substitute' in that heading. It would likely get a state issued VIN in the door jamb.

So, you are better off with the damaged original.

Benji

That document that Dayclona posted entitled "Authorization To Restore ID Numbers..." plainly and simply states that (cut and paste) "the registar may [I.E is allowed to] issue...a certificate authorizing the restoration...of its original identifying number..."  

Now if you don't want the hassle of obtaining the original number (or it has been completely destroyed by fire or whatever) the state will assign one for you but it will not be the same number the vehicle originally had.

I would obtain one of those certificates have it filled out by whoever must do it (the police I assume) and then call Datatags and see what else they need. I'm guessing they will want the original tag and a copy of the title in your name, and probably $500.00  :laugh:

Benji

Alaskan_TA

State issued VINs usually use the same VIN number. But, not on the same type of tag & they do not go on the dash.  :Twocents: