News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel pump problem

Started by darkside, July 18, 2012, 10:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkside

What would cause a  manual fuel pump not to pump? cam lobe wore out maybe? I got a 383 that hasnt been run in years and the pump would not work so i put a new one on and still won't pump fuel. I ran a new line out of a gas can to the pump so i know its not a old fuel line. The rod does move freely.

FLG

Worn pump pushrod or worn cam lobe...pushrod is more common. Remove it and measure it for us, should be 3.25 IIRC

resq302

is the new pump the same shape and style as the one you removed?  could be a defective pump also.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

darkside

Back N Black

Quote from: FLG on July 18, 2012, 11:11:34 PM
Worn pump pushrod or worn cam lobe...pushrod is more common. Remove it and measure it for us, should be 3.25 IIRC

+1 on the fuel pump push rod, it will wear long before the cam lob.

cdr

take the output off & put a hose long enough to a container & crank the engine & see if it pumps then.if it does then the needle is stuck in the carb
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

darkside

Quote from: cdr on July 19, 2012, 11:50:22 AM
take the output off & put a hose long enough to a container & crank the engine & see if it pumps then.if it does then the needle is stuck in the carb

Thanks for the advice,you nailed it!