News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1974 Charger, Can't find Pinion Seal

Started by chrischarger74, August 14, 2012, 06:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrischarger74

I need alittle help, cause I just can't find the right Seal.  My baby sprung a small leak where the yoke meets up this the Axle so I removed the Pinion Seal (non to carefully), looked it up online and went to pick it up only to find out it was not the correct P/N, and after extensive search we were unable to match it up with anything even close.  I looked up the Axle Identification number #2852905 and it shows it is indeed a 8.25 axle but for a 1969-70 B body, mine is a 74 but doesn't appear to have been swapped out, atleast not from what I could tell, Long story short I still can not locate the correct pinion seal.  It's not the 8516N Diameter is to big or the 5126, found one that called out P/N 7216 looked it up and specs are almost identical to the 8516N.  If anybody has any idea where I can find the correct P/N or know what it is I would be in your debt.  I understand it's my fault for not being more gentle when removing the seal, but nothing I can do about it now. 

Charger4404spd

I am assuming you cant you read the number on the old seal?

chrischarger74

Nope, cleaned it up and put it under my scope, did not even see one.

ODZKing

73 and 4 should be the same.  Is this what you came up with?

FLG

chrischarger74

Thanks, game them a call but no one picked up probably closed, so I shot him an e-mail.  In the meantime I'll continue to do some research.

randy73

Quote from: ODZKing on August 14, 2012, 06:26:14 PM
73 and 4 should be the same.  Is this what you came up with?

Your JPG won't help OP, his rear end is 8.25.

OP - I got mine from Advance and they were correct.

chrischarger74

Is it possible that I would have to replace it from the backside and not from the hub side?  It is an 8.25 do you have the same Axle P/N. and if so what Seal did you get?

randy73

Sorry, I had someone replace all my seals, so I do not know the procedure. I would think it would be from the front, as it goes right underneath the yoke.
Sorry again, I gave all the parts to the shop doing my repairs and did not save any of them. But I bought the outer axle seals and outer pinion seal from Advance.

I will look tonight at my receipts and if there is a part number, I will let you know.