News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It won't start when its hot.

Started by 74bluecharger440, July 21, 2012, 08:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74bluecharger440

A little advice would be appreciated here..The problem is when I drive  the car for over 30 minutes it will not restart until it cools down. I do not shut it down like at a store or gas as I have to wait for it to cool down before I can go .  Its now got a 440,  stock was 318 with air conditioning ..not working..I  am not sure if its the 318 rad  or what?. I would like to go aluminum aftermarket,but here is the thing..There is the A/C rad in front of the motor rad,. If I'm not useing the A/C should I remove the A/C rad or could I get both aluminum,,Just throwing it out there as I'm sure theres alot of good advice out there  thanks..

ACUDANUT

Sounds like vapor lock. Or your carb is acting up.  I had the same problem. My carb was full of rust from a rusty gas tank. It was killing my carb.... slowly.

charger Downunder

Next time it wont start check spark if spark is OK you will be chasing fuel.
[/quote]

ACUDANUT

True. A coil can cause your problem too. 

firefighter3931

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 21, 2012, 08:42:45 AM
Sounds like vapor lock. Or you carb is acting.  I had the same problem. My carb was full of rust from a rusty gas tank. It was killing my carb. slowly.

:iagree: The crappy stuff they call pump gas nowadays is prone to vapor lock.  :brickwall:

As for the A/C condenser....by all means remove it to increase flow to the radiator.  :yesnod:

See link below for dealing with the vapor lock issues  ;)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52284.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BrianShaughnessy

Please be more specific.

Either it won't CRANK at all or it CRANKS very slowly when it's hot...   or it CRANKS but will not fire up and run.    Some conditions point to a starting system, igntion system or sometimes the fuel system.

Do you have the 1/4" return line hooked up and either a factory vapor separator or a 3 port fuel fuel filter installed ?   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

justcruisin

I agree you need to establish what sort of problem you have but it sounds like a vapor lock or fuel related. I had an issue with mine - hard to start after sitting for 15-30 min. fuel was spilling over and flooding the manifold when stopped. Fitted a 1/2" spacer and lowered the fuel level a tad, problem solved.

74bluecharger440

brand new carb got rid of the edelbrok replaced with a holley , It doesn't crank its almost like the battery is dead,I had someone tell me the build is so tight that when it heats up everything expands and there is not enough juice to actually crank it over until it cools down..but the vapour lock sound where  I might start looking next

Cooter

As always, need more info.....From what you describe, it could be about 5 different things. Sounds like either your starter is bad(High amp draw, or you have an alternator not charging causing a dead battery. Or, you have a bad POS. cable(Corrrosion down cable causing voltage drop when starting).

I'd be looking into a new, High torque mini starter If I was you.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

74bluecharger440

there is a high torque mini strarter hideing under the headers

ACUDANUT

Do you have a clear fuel filter to see the fuel ?

Cooter

Quote from: 74bluecharger440 on July 23, 2012, 06:40:57 AM
there is a high torque mini strarter hideing under the headers

Doesn't mean it's not bad.... :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

nvrbdn

if the motor wont even crank while hot, it would be along the line of cooters thoughts an electrical break down of some sorts. heat will shrink parts, not swell them.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BrianShaughnessy

You could always try either a starter blanket or wrap the headers with header wrap around the starter area and see if that helps.

ACUDANUT

Or, get rid of those starter eating headers

justcruisin

If it wont crank it will be either electrical - battery, cables, starter, relay wiring or as has been suggested, engine getting to tight or hydraulicking. Substitute another battery if you have a known good one, make sure of your cables, positive and earth, connections etc, a rusty nut on the main battery stud of the starter can indicate a bad connection even if it is tight. Carry a suitable power bar and socket, if you can't move the crank there is something wrong. Maybe check when it is cold to get an idea of how much pressure it takes to move. If you can turn the engine by hand, the battery and cables are good and you are getting power to the starter from the key then it's probably the starter.

Paul G

Cooter is leading you in the right direction. If the engine wont crank, only when hot, forget about vapor lock until you get the engine to crank over correctly. Get a digital volt meter. Hook it up to your battery. Read the voltage with the engine off. What is the voltage? Then start the car, the voltage should be in the 13.8 to 14.2 range if the battery is healthy and fully charged and your charging system is working correctly. With the engine cold have someone try to start the car while you read the volt meter. Should not drop lower than around12.5 volts while the engine is cranking over. Warm up the engine, good and hot, Now have someone try to start the car while you are reading the volt meter. Does the engine crank normally or not? What is the voltage reading?  
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

ACUDANUT

"Maybe check when it is cold to get an idea of how much pressure it takes to move. If you can turn the engine by hand, the battery and cables are good and you are getting power to the starter from the key then it's probably the starter."

Ummm, what ?

justcruisin

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 23, 2012, 10:11:27 PM
"Maybe check when it is cold to get an idea of how much pressure it takes to move. If you can turn the engine by hand, the battery and cables are good and you are getting power to the starter from the key then it's probably the starter."

Ummm, what ?
If you have a problem with not being able to crank the motor you need to establish if the problem is electrical or something causing the motor to be tight.

If you put a power bar on the crank nut when it is cold, turn it and see how hard it is to turn. When it is hot and wont start - with the key off, do the same thing again, if it has the same resistance and will turn you will know that your problem is electrical, which is likely.

resq302

Quote from: nvrbdn on July 23, 2012, 11:57:15 AM
if the motor wont even crank while hot, it would be along the line of cooters thoughts an electrical break down of some sorts. heat will shrink parts, not swell them.

I have to disagree.  Heat expands things while cool / cold contracts.  We had a problem with our el camino that it would crank over nice when it was cold but as soon as it was shut down after running for a while, it would barely turn over.  Timing had a little to do with the problem but the majority was that the starter solenoid  was heating up and causing the hot start problem.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

74bluecharger440

Yes I took the deep cycle battery out of my boat and placed it in the charger.Same thing happened  I'm going to try the heat wrap cause I have a sneaky suspicion it is the starter getting too hot..I will also try to crank it cold then hot ..thanks for all the good advice..I will be back with results.

nvrbdn

Quote from: resq302 on July 24, 2012, 12:39:05 AM

I have to disagree.  Heat expands things while cool / cold contracts.  We had a problem with our el camino that it would crank over nice when it was cold but as soon as it was shut down after running for a while, it would barely turn over.  Timing had a little to do with the problem but the majority was that the starter solenoid  was heating up and causing the hot start problem.

your right. :slap: ill take my beatings. :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: resq302 on July 24, 2012, 12:39:05 AM

Common chebbie problem.    Sometimes solved by remote solenoids ( like a ferd ) mounted on firewall or inner fender.

nvrbdn

i was just thinking about when two pieces of metal are frozen together. i was working on a semi 5th wheel putting bushings and pins in. the pins were frozen in. put the heat on em and drove them out. things move better with heat. but i guess i was actually expanding the outer piece. oh well, the thought was there. carry on. :D
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

67_Dodge_Charger

When the Charger gets too hot to start drink a Mountain Dew and wait for the starter to cool down. :cheers: