News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Batman #3 was cool.

Started by Mike DC, July 21, 2012, 03:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

(no specific spoilers ahead)

Good flick.  It reminds me of the last one in lots of ways.  What it lacks without Heath Ledger's Joker, it makes up for with a more epic scope.

It doesn't feel quite as realistic & memorable as the last one did, but IMHO it's still better than the first one in 2003 (which sure wasn't bad).  Some of the major themes of "Dark Knight" actually get ripped down in this one, sorta like what Terminator#2 did to T#1.

This Batman series is probably over now.  The next time Batman shows up in theaters will probably be a reboot.

myk

Yes, it's generally understood that Rises will be the final movie in the Nolan/Batman franchise, and after seeing how they "ended" this movie it realistically can't continue.  Personally, I can't wait for a blu-ray release so I can activate subtitles and FINALLY understand what Bane was saying throughout the movie,   ::) and of course pause the movie whenever they show Anne Hathaway in that superb catwoman costume highlighting her unbelievable curves :drool5:

Mike DC

Never say never with Hollywood.  

The Nolans probably won't do another one.  But Warner Bros is liable to send dump trucks of money onto Christian Bale's & Anne Hathaway's front lawns trying to get one more out of them.  (Didn't Schwarzenegger get something like $30 million to do Terminator#3 without James Cameron?  And that was in 2003 dollars.) 

The studio knows if they can get even some of the main actors from the last three to do another one, then most of the audience will probably give it the benefit of the doubt and go see it regardless of the writer/director situation . . .

myk

Oh, I'm 100% certain more Batman movies will be made, probably without Nolan.  On that note, did you see the preview for the new Superman movie?  I don't see why we need a reboot here, the last Superman movie was more than adequate IMO.  I feel the same way about the new Spiderman movie as well; Toby's movies were more than up to the task and some would argue were better anyway...

TheGhost

Quote from: myk on July 21, 2012, 10:37:22 AM
Oh, I'm 100% certain more Batman movies will be made, probably without Nolan.  On that note, did you see the preview for the new Superman movie?  I don't see why we need a reboot here, the last Superman movie was more than adequate IMO.  I feel the same way about the new Spiderman movie as well; Toby's movies were more than up to the task and some would argue were better anyway...

Toby's first 2 movies were good.  The 3rd needs to be removed from history completely.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

myk

Mike DC

The 3rd Spiderman movie was a serious disappointment because it didn't need to be.  It was ruined purely in an attempt to sell more merchandise IMHO.  They had a perfect 3rd movie all set up around the son-of-Green-Goblin thing and they threw it away to sell a few more toys.  

Superman fathers a child out of wedlock and ends up an absent father = FAIL.  That was all I needed to know about the movie to know it would be a misfire.  I'm not trying to preach about morality of the whole thing, but it's completely wrong for the tone of the franchise.  It's like putting a gas crisis & hybrid cars in "Dukes of Hazzard."  

myk

Agreed, but making Superman......."imperfect" by knocking up Lois Lane was a welcome change to his impeccable reputation.  But, as you say, that's contrary to the spirit of the franchise, so the movie could be viewed as being blasphemous...

chargerboy69

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 21, 2012, 04:32:57 AM
Never say never with Hollywood.  

The Nolans probably won't do another one.  But Warner Bros is liable to send dump trucks of money onto Christian Bale's & Anne Hathaway's front lawns trying to get one more out of them.  (Didn't Schwarzenegger get something like $30 million to do Terminator#3 without James Cameron?  And that was in 2003 dollars.) 

The studio knows if they can get even some of the main actors from the last three to do another one, then most of the audience will probably give it the benefit of the doubt and go see it regardless of the writer/director situation . . .

I have not seen the film yet, but I would love to see Bale continue his role. 

With the success of the Avengers, there is a huge push for a Justice League movie.  That could be one of the greatest movies if done right.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bull

I don't know what the deal is with DC comics and the trouble it has getting its stories into movies. Marvel keeps hitting it out of the park while DC keeps recycling Superman and Batman. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with the latest Batman reboot, but other than that there's Jonah Hex, Green Lantern and The Watchmen which all kind of sputtered. I heard that Joss Whedon was going to do a Wonder Woman movie but that fell through and he wound up doing Avengers for Marvel - another one out of the park. Oh well. In general I like the Marvel universe better anyway.  

myk

Quote from: bull on July 22, 2012, 12:10:29 AM
I don't know what the deal is with DC comics and the trouble it has getting its stories into movies. Marvel keeps hitting it out of the park while DC keeps recycling Superman and Batman. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with the latest Batman reboot, but other than that there's Jonah Hex, Green Lantern and The Watchmen which all kind of sputtered. I heard that Joss Whedon was going to do a Wonder Woman movie but that fell through and he wound up doing Avengers for Marvel - another one out of the park. Oh well. In general I like the Marvel universe better anyway.  

Agreed.  DC characters and their universe are...I dunno, odd to me, or something.  By the way the thin but very tight and sexy brunette that played Agent Hill in Avengers was Joss Whedon's pick to play Wonder Woman in the series that never was...

Mike DC

There was a chick in that movie besides Scarlett Johannsen? 

TheGhost

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 22, 2012, 01:38:52 PM
There was a chick in that movie besides Scarlett Johannsen? 

I didn't see one. :shruggy:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: myk on July 22, 2012, 03:33:16 AM
Quote from: bull on July 22, 2012, 12:10:29 AM

Agreed.  DC characters and their universe are...I dunno, odd to me, or something.  By the way the thin but very tight and sexy brunette that played Agent Hill in Avengers was Joss Whedon's pick to play Wonder Woman in the series that never was...

Never been a huge fan of DC.   They have always seemed a bit amatuerish compared to Marvel (mostly Stan Lee)  I don't even like Superman (GASP) I find the mythology pretty corny.   Batman and Green Lantern are probably my two faves from DC, and I thought the GL movie was.. pretty good but not great.   I like Ryan Reynolds but he should stick to Van Wilder and leave Hal Jordan for someone else.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Mike DC

Batman & Superman were products of a much different time than Spiderman & X-men. 

It's like comparing the first Star Trek TV series to the classic Star Wars movies.  The culture (not to mention our views on space exploration) had changed between the times they were created.  In fact the latter was partly shaped by being a reaction to the former.

bull

Saw Batman tonight. Curious why some think there won't be a #4 with this same crew, including Nolan? Seems to me it's been set up to continue in no uncertain terms providing some key person just not at all interested in moving forward. Is that the case?

myk

Quote from: bull on July 23, 2012, 01:29:15 AM
Saw Batman tonight. Curious why some think there won't be a #4 with this same crew, including Nolan? Seems to me it's been set up to continue in no uncertain terms providing some key person just not at all interested in moving forward. Is that the case?

I'm pretty sure Nolan himself said that this was his final Dark Knight movie.  Not only that, but the ending of the movie says "end of the line" for Bale's Bruce Wayne IMO.

Actually here's a quote from an interview: "You can't keep doing these things forever like episodes in a TV series," he says. "I like the idea of a story with a beginning, middle and an end. Most directors don't get a chance to do that."

chargerboy69

I still have not seen it, but Bale and Nolan have expressed in no uncertain terms they are done with Batman.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bull

Why bother introducing Robin then?

Mike DC

Even if the series is over, maybe Nolan wanted to send it out with a feeling like Batman had a fictional future.

Or maybe he just wanted to try to tackle the Robin problem and see if he could make one who didn't inspire bad jokes.

myk

Quote from: bull on July 23, 2012, 02:24:22 PM
Why bother introducing Robin then?

I thought about that also.  My guess is that, just like in the comics, Robin can take over for Batman until a later date; there really is no guarantee that Nolan won't come back, I mean these Hollywood types are all over the place anyway.  Personally, I just think it was the writer's way of saying, "hey, Christian Bale and Nolan are done with this but here's Robin, so you can all sleep at night knowing that justice will still be served anyway..."  Just my theory, anyway.  I look at Nolan's Batman like Battlestar Galactica 2005: this stuff is so good that I'd rather see it end on a good note than get stretched out and diluted just for the sake of the shareholders.  If Nolan or Bale never make another Batman movie I'm ok with it...

hatersaurusrex

Man you ruined it.  I hate Robin in any incarnation, and I don't see how he can do anything but suck and make the movie worse.  He's more useless than the effing Wonder Twins.

Also the question of 'Why Billionaire with mental problems invites teenage boy to live in his house in the first place' is a pretty gross one to think about.  Not as bad as 'Daddy Warbucks, lifelong bachelor, invites adorable orphaned second-grader to live with him and do show tunes', but still pretty gross.

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Dino

So much for spoiler alerts....

Oh well, probably will pass on it anyway, I find the previous two severly overhyped anyway.  Always preferred Superman but only in the comics.  The Reeve movie from 78 was good but apart from that Supes on tv sucks big time.  The comic book Batman is way more interesting than any tv or movie incarnation as wel imo.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

QuoteMan you ruined it.  I hate Robin in any incarnation, and I don't see how he can do anything but suck and make the movie worse.  He's more useless than the effing Wonder Twins.

Also the question of 'Why Billionaire with mental problems invites teenage boy to live in his house in the first place' is a pretty gross one to think about.  Not as bad as 'Daddy Warbucks, lifelong bachelor, invites adorable orphaned second-grader to live with him and do show tunes', but still pretty gross.

That's just it - Robin wasn't portrayed like that at all this time.  This was a Robin for people who can't stand the classic dorky Robin.

myk

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on July 24, 2012, 03:40:45 PM
Man you ruined it.  I hate Robin in any incarnation, and I don't see how he can do anything but suck and make the movie worse.  He's more useless than the effing Wonder Twins.

Bull did it first! Lol.  I have to say that watching Nolan's Batman movies and remembering Inception, Prestige, Momento; Nolan's a goddamn genius...