News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lack of motivation...?

Started by Marck, July 20, 2012, 10:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marck

Hey..

I know some of you guys must deal with lack of motivation / energy...
After I spent a week fixing the rust on my charger with my dad about 7 weeks ago, I haven't had any motivation or energy to put towards the Charger.. Not even to drive it...  :shruggy:
I know some of it has to do with the fact it looks like a turd now, being several different colours. I hate that, but the finances for paint is just not there yet.. On top of that we have had the worst summer in ages, it seems to rain every time I have a spare moment..
Being a father of two small girls, and working 40-50 hours doesn't help on the spare time either..

I suppose it's just a phase, and that it'll come around again, but what do you guys do to keep the motivation up?
I'm not sure if I'm looking for a pat on the back or a swift kick in the nuts..  :brickwall: :nana: Hehe..

cdr

show us some pics!we'll motivate ya :popcrn:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

twodko

Marck,

Walk away from it for a while, plan some fun things with your family. I can appreciate how a multi colored car could make you crazy. Since it will get painted at some point, buy some rattle cans of primer and make it all one color.......oh, and have a beer!  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Cooter

Marck, All I can offer is my own set up.
1st, "Christine"...Wanna talk about rust repair, how'd you like to have to MAKE/FAB EVERY single patch panel? No AMD for these cars.
Took me 5 years OUTSIDE.
Painted it in the back yard.

2nd. General Lee. Took me 2 1/2 years back in 2001. No AMD fenders/panels then either.
Everytime my buddies Would come by the house and look at it I'd hear this......
"Wow, 'ol General is coming along nicely"...then, when they'd begin to leave, I'd hear this.....
"Well, that thing is over even HIS head. It'll never hit the road."
These are the very same ones that ask for a ride today.

3rd.1969 Roadrunner I built for a kid out of LaCrosse Wis. Took me 5 years. He was there for every step helping.
Every time he'd get down, I'd have to remind him of all the good times he'll have.

4th. 1969 Charger R/T Clone I built for a friend. Blue and white. Had the car for over 14 years and the quarter windows never rolled down. All said and done i finished it up in record time.(1 1/2 years). He has since sold it. i am still angry with him as i didn't charge him anywhere NEAR "flipper" price.

5th.Now, I have a 1937 Chevy "rat Rod" that will be Chrysler 440 powered. Will take me about a 1-2 years to complete, along with trying to keep 7 vehicles on the road for the family as well as working 10-15 hours/day.

6th. My son's 1966 Plymouth i spent the better part of 3 years on. He got it when he was 13, he is 20 now.

7th. Now, I have a 1970 Challenger R/T Clone (Vanishing Point) I'm doing. Been on it for about 1 year.

Everybody looses interest, it's the ones that actually WORK at trying to rekindle it that survive. The rest? Well, they simply sell their sh*t on Evil-Bay and attempt to buy one done, then get on here talking bout how f*cked they got once it is home. Gotta keep your eye on the prize. Not how much is left to do.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

It'll pass. I get inspired to work a lot for several weeks and then it wanes. Often it wanes when after I successfully finish a big part of the project or when something goes wrong and I get discouraged and refuse to move forward until the problem is dealt with. Eventually I always get back to it.

Scaregrabber

Alternate between ugly jobs and fun jobs. Rust repair is usually a dirty, ugly job next maybe do something light and easy or just take the car for a quick drive.

Sheldon

Marck

Quote from: cdr on July 20, 2012, 10:33:59 AM
show us some pics!we'll motivate ya :popcrn:

Here, now motivate me...  ;) :cheers:

Marck

--

Marck

--

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Marck

Quote from: twodko on July 20, 2012, 11:13:24 AM
Marck,

Walk away from it for a while, plan some fun things with your family. I can appreciate how a multi colored car could make you crazy. Since it will get painted at some point, buy some rattle cans of primer and make it all one color.......oh, and have a beer!  :Twocents:
I've done that before, and I guess it's what I'm doing now, but I stille fell quilty about it... Wierd huh...?
I was actually about to go buy some rattle cans the other day, but didn't...  :shruggy:

Marck

Quote from: Cooter on July 20, 2012, 11:24:17 AM
Marck, All I can offer is my own set up.
1st, "Christine"...Wanna talk about rust repair, how'd you like to have to MAKE/FAB EVERY single patch panel? No AMD for these cars.
Took me 5 years OUTSIDE.
Painted it in the back yard.

2nd. General Lee. Took me 2 1/2 years back in 2001. No AMD fenders/panels then either.
Everytime my buddies Would come by the house and look at it I'd hear this......
"Wow, 'ol General is coming along nicely"...then, when they'd begin to leave, I'd hear this.....
"Well, that thing is over even HIS head. It'll never hit the road."
These are the very same ones that ask for a ride today.

3rd.1969 Roadrunner I built for a kid out of LaCrosse Wis. Took me 5 years. He was there for every step helping.
Every time he'd get down, I'd have to remind him of all the good times he'll have.

4th. 1969 Charger R/T Clone I built for a friend. Blue and white. Had the car for over 14 years and the quarter windows never rolled down. All said and done i finished it up in record time.(1 1/2 years). He has since sold it. i am still angry with him as i didn't charge him anywhere NEAR "flipper" price.

5th.Now, I have a 1937 Chevy "rat Rod" that will be Chrysler 440 powered. Will take me about a 1-2 years to complete, along with trying to keep 7 vehicles on the road for the family as well as working 10-15 hours/day.

6th. My son's 1966 Plymouth i spent the better part of 3 years on. He got it when he was 13, he is 20 now.

7th. Now, I have a 1970 Challenger R/T Clone (Vanishing Point) I'm doing. Been on it for about 1 year.

Everybody looses interest, it's the ones that actually WORK at trying to rekindle it that survive. The rest? Well, they simply sell their sh*t on Evil-Bay and attempt to buy one done, then get on here talking bout how f*cked they got once it is home. Gotta keep your eye on the prize. Not how much is left to do.

I hear you, but let me assure you, I'm in it for the long haul.. I have never given up on any project, and I'm not about to start now..  :cheers:
It helped last year when I was able to drive it.. I've had it for 5 years, and only started driving it last fall..

Marck

Quote from: bull on July 20, 2012, 12:09:54 PM
It'll pass. I get inspired to work a lot for several weeks and then it wanes. Often it wanes when after I successfully finish a big part of the project or when something goes wrong and I get discouraged and refuse to move forward until the problem is dealt with. Eventually I always get back to it.
I know the feeling..
On my first roadtrip the engine siezed and died, I was so dissapointed I didn't touch the car for a couple of months..

Marck

Quote from: Scaregrabber on July 20, 2012, 12:17:39 PM
Alternate between ugly jobs and fun jobs. Rust repair is usually a dirty, ugly job next maybe do something light and easy or just take the car for a quick drive.

Sheldon

I've actually been kicking the idea around to fabricate a custom center console.. Something that doesn't seem that difficult to me, and I miss having somewhere to put keys and other stuff..

Marck

bill440rt

The photoshop pic of the completed car should be a great motivator, that's gonna look awesome!  :2thumbs:
That, and your little girl behind the wheel.  :yesnod:
Print those out & hang 'em on your fridge, in the garage, wherever.

Try to separate what you want to accomplish into little, simple tasks. Tackle one thing at a time & before long you'll see you've got a lot done. Make a list or checksheet.

If that fails, just get off your ass already & get to work!  :nana:  :icon_smile_wink:  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

nvrbdn

usually when i want to get motivated i go to a car show or pop in "dirty mary crazy larry" it gets me going every time. guess its time to watch it again. :smilielol: i bought a new gas tank and new carb at monster mopar in june and they are still waiting to go on the car. :rotz:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tan top

its easy to loose motavation  ,   said this before  , but try to concentrate on one area & complete that , try not to look at the car as  a whole , & what else needs doing ,

although easier to do if the car is just a empty body shell
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

Sell it and buy a nice used late model Challenger.  Trust me, you'll be glad that you did.  :yesnod:

cdr

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 20, 2012, 03:25:45 PM
Sell it and buy a nice used late model Challenger.  Trust me, you'll be glad that you did.  :yesnod:
make sure its a v6,,,,,,,,,but seriously i assume thats your daughter behind the wheel, just waiting to go cruisin with her hero DAD,NOW IF THAT DONT MOTIVATE YA,nothin will  :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hatersaurusrex

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Lennard

Quote from: Marck on July 20, 2012, 10:28:58 AM
Hey..
I'm not sure if I'm looking for a pat on the back or a swift kick in the nuts..  :brickwall: :nana: Hehe..
I need both... haven't touched it for over a month. If my car would be as close to be finished as yours I'd be working on it every chance I had to get it road worthy and then spray it with a can until I would have the funds to do it right.

Quote from: Lennard on July 21, 2012, 01:25:19 AM
Quote from: Marck on July 20, 2012, 10:28:58 AM
Hey..
I'm not sure if I'm looking for a pat on the back or a swift kick in the nuts..  :brickwall: :nana: Hehe..
I need both... haven't touched it for over a month. If my car would be as close to be finished as yours I'd be working on it every change I had to get it road worthy and then spray it with a can until I would have the funds to do it right.

Geez, think you could have started with an easier project ?

Lennard

Quote from: 440 on July 21, 2012, 01:30:14 AM
Geez, think you could have started with an easier project ?
It's the Charger in the two pics below. I started cutting out some rust and by the time I was done this was all that was left. ;D