News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct Radio for Chargers

Started by bakerhillpins, July 19, 2012, 10:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

While walking the swap meet at Carlisle I noticed that radios have several different sets of text on them. (beyond the differences due to the type AM/AM-FM/AM-8Track)

Some say "Chrysler Solid State", some "Solid State by Plymouth".. and so on.  My 69 Charger has a (coded R21) AM/FM radio in it and is adorned with the "Chrysler Solid State" text such as the one below but I wonder if it should have the "Dodge Solid State" text?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,20275.0.html  This thread suggests that it should say Chrysler but there were no others that confirmed and I could find anything specific in searches.

QuoteJust from what I've learned by hanging out here, the Dodge and Plymouth ones were from 68, and the Chrysler ones were from 69, and there were 2 companies making Mopar radios, Motorola had the chrome push buttons, and Bendix had the black ones. I have a nice Bendix radio with black buttons that says Chrysler solid state on it, but my car originally had the chrome buttons and said Dodge solid state on it. If anyone has a chrome button Dodge radio and would like to swap it for a black-button Chrysler radio I would be interested.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

resq302

pretty sure in 1969 it was supposed to say Chrysler Solid State.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dino

Agreed, never seen a radio in a 69 that said Dodge, always Chrysler.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bakerhillpins

Cool.  I was fearing that I would have to try to find a different AM/FM in an already thin herd.

Hey Brian, how is your Wards conversion working? When they made that change does the radio still function as stock or do they rip out the guts and put in a replacement?
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 19, 2012, 10:16:45 AM
Cool.  I was fearing that I would have to try to find a different AM/FM in an already thin herd.

Hey Brian, how is your Wards conversion working? When they made that change does the radio still function as stock or do they rip out the guts and put in a replacement?

I got mine converted by resto radio awhile back to am/fm  40 watts output.   They put in new guts.   It works fine.   I didn't bother with the cd deck hookups or 4 channel outputs.   It's still analog tuning.
Probably much better than the big 5W output from factory am/fm back in the day  bbbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttt  you could get better sound from a $100 sopiosonicny  from best buy if you gave up the thumbwheels.     

Vendor at carlisle was selling new am/fm thumbwheel radios for show special $599.   Regularly priced $650.   I said thanks and walked away. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bill440rt

I had mine done by Tayman Electrical in my '68. Did a great job, has the 4 outputs on the back & a jack for CD, iPod, etc.
I ran a cable & tucked it into the ashtray for easy iPod hookup.
Sounds good enough for me.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bakerhillpins

So with all of these conversions the radio no longer functions as stock as they rip out the guts correct? I can't see how they would make them work side by side anyhow though so I guess that is what happens.  :shruggy:

I don't want to destroy an original AM/FM that works so I guess If I want other sound options I need to find a dead AM radio and make a fake faceplate.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Ghoste

Correct on the lettering.  The "Dodge" ones seem to be a 1968 item.  The "Plymouth" ones are self explanatory.  I believe there is a place in Ontario (Old Tyme Radios?) that if they are still around restores old auto radios, not sure if they modify them though.

Dino

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 20, 2012, 08:32:24 AM
So with all of these conversions the radio no longer functions as stock as they rip out the guts correct? I can't see how they would make them work side by side anyhow though so I guess that is what happens.  :shruggy:

I don't want to destroy an original AM/FM that works so I guess If I want other sound options I need to find a dead AM radio and make a fake faceplate.

Correct, it's either stock or a total upgrade, no side by side.

What you can do is find a plain am radio instead of am/fm and have that converted.  It will still be able to receive both am and fm and one of those companies installs a small red led on the face so you can see which one it's set to.  The am radio's are cheap, especially if they're busted.  I would definitely not gut a working am/fm radio.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

nvrbdn

i have a thumbwheel radio at home. dont know if it works or not. never put power to it. if your interested baker let me know if your wanting to convert a different one. i will have to look at it to see what it says on it. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bill440rt

Baker, here's a link to Tayman's 'site for more info:

http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm

Basically, the volume knob is the same, & the tuner. All the way to the right is tone. You have to operate a thumbwheel a certain way upon radio startup to adjust the fader. When an iPod or accessory is hooked up it automatically defaults to that device.
It's very easy to operate.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bakerhillpins

Quote from: bill440rt on July 20, 2012, 09:36:17 AM
Baker, here's a link to Tayman's 'site for more info:

http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm

Basically, the volume knob is the same, & the tuner. All the way to the right is tone. You have to operate a thumbwheel a certain way upon radio startup to adjust the fader. When an iPod or accessory is hooked up it automatically defaults to that device.
It's very easy to operate.

Thanks for the link Bill!   Interesting read. I need to pull my AM/FM unit and take a look at it's construction. Seems like the thing to do would be to take a dead AM radio and do the conversion and at the same time swap out the AM freq plate for one that looks like an AM/FM unit.  I really should have spent more time talking with the vendors at Carlisle.  Problem is the current funding situation.  :brickwall:

Man, everything for these cars is $400.  Maybe for my birthday or Xmas.  :lol:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

Quote from: nvrbdn on July 20, 2012, 09:28:40 AM
i have a thumbwheel radio at home. dont know if it works or not. never put power to it. if your interested baker let me know if your wanting to convert a different one. i will have to look at it to see what it says on it. :2thumbs:

Ill PM you about the radio.  Thanks!
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House