News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

351 Cleveland combustion chamber

Started by Ghoste, July 19, 2012, 08:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

True wedge or something more like semi hemi?

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

More of a "Poly" shaped IMO. i know the famed 4bbl heads are too mauch on a stock 351 C engine on the street.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

Quote from: Cooter on July 19, 2012, 12:35:28 PM
More of a "Poly" shaped IMO. i know the famed 4bbl heads are too mauch on a stock 351 C engine on the street.
Keep on believing that... ;)

Troy

Cooter

Quote from: Troy on July 19, 2012, 01:20:25 PM
More of a "Poly" shaped IMO. i know the famed 4bbl heads are too much on a stock 351 C engine on the street.

Troy

Same thing with the "Boss" 302...Sure, it was a screamer @ around 10K RPM... :laugh:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

Well, yeah, but 340s and 426 Hemis liked to rev as well.

The Boss 302 has the same heads as a 351C 4bbl (which is what mine is).

Troy

Cooter

Everybody knows TORQUE is king on the street. Hp is fine and dandy, but if you have to side step the clutch at 8000 RPM, you lose. Spinning ain't winning.

I gotta buddy that Swears by the 340 in his 1968 Cuda. Can't understand why late model Fox bodies are running around him.

Sure, it likes to wind, but it can't get it done. I recommended a stroker kit. He bought one. Tried out a few stroker mustangs. Got his ass handed to him again with a 408. i asked what was done to mustang with the supposed "302"...

Turns out, it wasn't a 302 at all. it was a Nitroused 347.

Troy

Drag racing is for people who can't work the steering wheel or brakes... :P

The 1971 Boss 351 (with 351C 4bbl) seemed pretty adept at drag racing. The magazine road tests of the time managed 13.8-14.2 seconds which put it only slightly slower than a Hemi Charger and 440 Cuda - yet faster than a 440 Super Bee.

My 440 cars are just as traction limited as my small block cars on the street. I don't care - I'm not planning to race anyone. I have enough "issues" with traffic enforcement to deal with that. I do like a "spirited" cruise on the back roads though - which is waaaaay more fun in a (better) balanced small block car.

I can't wait to finish my 340 Challenger to see how it stacks up against the Mach 1 on the twisties. Both cars will be similar weight with stock brakes, stock gears, nearly stock engines (except headers and a modern cam), and no subframe modifications. Yes, modified cars will beat both of them but it's (sometimes) fun to see what these cars were like when they were new. Not to mention, both are rare enough that I'd kill the value by venturing too far from stock. I have a couple of modified cars as in the garage if I need to see what the factory left out.

Troy

Cooter

Quote from: Troy on July 20, 2012, 01:34:08 PM

:smilielol:

I don't know bout your drag racing, but many that I see, pretty much have to work the steering and brakes to keep 'em straight on their way to a 9 sec. run...

Of course, when you are looking at horizon for the first 80 feet, I guess that is kinda "Easy" to do.

Rolling_Thunder

looks like a porcupine head like a BBC valve arrangement to me -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

So wedge chamber but with canted valves?

Cooter

Ghoste

Okay, so that is what you are describing as a poly in your earlier reply then?  When I think of a poly I think of a much more rounded chamber than what I think of as a wedge.  What I think of as a poly would be more like what I am describing as a semi hemi.  And so the Cleveland chamber would be a lot like the MkIV Chevy heads then or is that a different animal again.
Not that any of this really matters, its just one of those goofy things that gets me wondering.

ACUDANUT

"The 1971 Boss 351 (with 351C 4bbl) seemed pretty adept at drag racing. The magazine road tests of the time managed 13.8-14.2 seconds which put it only slightly slower than a Hemi Charger and 440 Cuda - yet faster than a 440 Super Bee."

I thought I knew alot about Fords, But never heard of a 351 Boss, are you smoking crack ?

Ghoste

The 351 Boss was very real and I can account for it being very quick as well.  In spite of the fact that I know nothing of Fords, my dad was a Ford guy and tried to steer me in that direction.  First two car I had were both Fords and both from him.  The second one was a 73 Ranchero that was originally a 351C powered car.  A local wrecking yard had a totalled Boss 351 Mustang in it so he swapped that drivetrain into the Ranchero and handed the keys to his 16 year old son.
I didn't learn much about Fords but I did learn a lot about wrecking cars after that.  The thing was very quick but squirrelly to drive.

ACUDANUT

I think it may have been a Boss 302 with 351 heads.  :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Ghoste

No the Boss 302 and the 351 Cleveland are similar animals to start with, that much I know but the Boss 351 is its own engine.  The Boss 302 and 351C have very close to the same heads but the Boss 351 had some other changes from the regular Cleveland and the Boss 302.
It does exist as its own thang.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on August 04, 2012, 07:46:11 AM
Okay, so that is what you are describing as a poly in your earlier reply then?  When I think of a poly I think of a much more rounded chamber than what I think of as a wedge.  

Maybe this will help....

Ghoste

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 04, 2012, 09:13:30 AM
"The 1971 Boss 351 (with 351C 4bbl) seemed pretty adept at drag racing. The magazine road tests of the time managed 13.8-14.2 seconds which put it only slightly slower than a Hemi Charger and 440 Cuda - yet faster than a 440 Super Bee."

I thought I knew alot about Fords, But never heard of a 351 Boss, are you smoking crack ?
Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 04, 2012, 09:21:28 AM
I think it may have been a Boss 302 with 351 heads.  :scratchchin: :shruggy:
The Boss 302 (and Boss 429) debuted in 1969 and carried over into 1970. The 351 Cleveland was first available in 1970 but the Boss 302 heads were essentially the same as the 351C head (fitted to a Windsor block). In 1971 Ford discontinued the earlier Bosses but introduced the Boss 351 - which used a Cleveland engine. Since the body style also changed you may not have noticed if you'd seen any.

Pictures:
https://www.google.com/search?q=boss+351&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=DV6&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=joAdUPzMIeeA6AHQxoCYCg&ved=0CHEQsAQ&biw=1062&bih=698

History:
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/thehistoryof/mump_0211_history_of_ford_boss_mustangs/viewall.html

Troy

tan top

Troy

:o :drool5:  nice !! looks mean  ,  :2thumbs: :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Troy

Quote from: tan top on August 04, 2012, 03:44:28 PM

Troy

:o :drool5:  nice !! looks mean  ,  :2thumbs: :yesnod:
Thanks! I didn't know when I bought it but it ended up being the rarest car I own. It came from the factory with the 351C 4bbl, close ratio 4-speed, Shaker scoop, front and rear spoilers, and disc brakes. I'm in the process of putting the Shaker back on and switching the interior back to white.

Troy

Ghoste

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on August 05, 2012, 10:18:16 AM
What wheels are on it there Troy?
Dunno. Some kind of really old school slots. They look a lot better in pictures than they do up close.

Troy

firefighter3931

Quote from: Troy on July 20, 2012, 01:34:08 PM

That's funny Troy !  :lol:

I see it the other way ; road racing is for guys with slow cars that don't make any power  :nana:

* The 351 Cleveland head is a very good casting and has lots of potential.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs