News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do all Chagers come with Front Sway Bars?

Started by Matthan, May 02, 2012, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twenty mike mike

I just bought a /6 Charger (now 440) that has no front sway bar, and there is no indication that it ever had one.

I'm fairly sure the /6 cars existed only so dealers could advertise a relatively low price for a premium car in the Sunday paper in a very competitive market, so the more content that could be removed, the cheaper the car could be. There is no fender tag or build sheet, but it looks like the only option the car came with was a radio.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on May 02, 2012, 02:12:33 PM
Which is why I put it in quotations.  However, the fact remains that Road Runners were sold and promtoed as having the upgraded brakes and suspension as standard equipment. 

That is to say they were equipped with the same underpinnings as an RT or a GTX and how many of those have you seen without a sway bar.  If not a very early production thing I would gues any Road Runner (or Super Bee) missing them was subject to some kind of production error.

383 RR's got the 778/779 torsion bars and 212/212 (68) 213/213 or 214/214 (69) 212/212 or 213/213 (70) rear springs standard. The R/T or GTX 'Hemi' suspension was not standard on 383 cars.

Hemi, 440 Superbirds and 440-6bbl RRs had the, of course, 'Hemi suspension' 780/781 bars and 794/964 mis matched rear springs standard.

Adding the A31 or A36 axle package to the 383 did get you the upgraded "Hemi" suspension.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

Not wanting to go off track then, but I want to be clear for the future.  So it is possible to get a Road Runner or Super Bee with "standard" sized torsion bars and symmetrical basic leaf spring sets and the 10 inch brakes (I know we haven't been discussing the brakes but I have always seen the 11 inch drums promoted as part of the "Hemi" suspension and as part of the RR SB suspension/braking package)?

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on July 20, 2012, 08:46:16 AM
So it is possible to get a Road Runner or Super Bee with "standard" sized torsion bars and symmetrical basic leaf spring sets and the 10 inch brakes (I know we haven't been discussing the brakes but I have always seen the 11 inch drums promoted as part of the "Hemi" suspension and as part of the RR SB suspension/braking package)?

I can't speak to the brake drum size but, yes, the standard RR suspension was the 'standard' .90 bars and symmetrical springs.

The 'Hemi' suspension had the larger 780/781 .92 bars and non-symetrical springs.

The shocks were the same on both set ups.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.