News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why do non-Mopar people hate torsion bars so much?

Started by Ghoste, July 18, 2012, 10:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Why do people into Fords and GM products have such a negative view toward the torsion bar?  Do they really just not understand how they work or do they love fighting the shock tower when they change plugs in their big block? :brickwall:
It's not even as though Mopar is the only one who ever used it, there are some much vaunted sports cars that used it and strangely enough folks seem to praise the handling of those cars so what is the deal.  Is it anti t-bar or anti Chrysler or what?

kab69440

Because they've never used them. What I don't understand is why people remove them to install inferior coil sprung suspension systems. Torsion bars are simple, lightweight and easy to manipulate. I can't fathom why you'd want anything else?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Cooter

Quote from: kab69440 on July 18, 2012, 11:09:23 AM
Because they've never used them. What I don't understand is why people remove them to install inferior coil sprung suspension systems. Torsion bars are simple, lightweight and easy to manipulate. I can't fathom why you'd want anything else?

Ever tried to get a really badass set of 2 1/4" primary underchassis Headers in a T-bar car with stock front suspension? Mopars have "Shock towers" to fight as well AND no room for those damn bars either.

You guys complain about the fit of TTI headers now. I can't remember any Brand X(Chevy) coil spring guys complaining about headers on their BBC.

Ford on the other hand is a DUMB design with those springs ABOVE the upper control arm, but they finally got figured out with the Must II.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Cooter on July 18, 2012, 11:57:44 AM
Quote from: kab69440 on July 18, 2012, 11:09:23 AM

Ever tried to get a really badass set of 2 1/4" primary underchassis Headers in a T-bar car with stock front suspension? Mopars have "Shock towers" to fight as well AND no room for those damn bars either.

You guys complain about the fit of TTI headers now. I can't remember any Brand X(Chevy) coil spring guys complaining about headers on their BBC.

Ford on the other hand is a DUMB design with those springs ABOVE the upper control arm, but they finally got figured out with the Must II.

Mustangs do have the dumbest design -   Torsion bars are awesome - but header clearance is the major issue people have with them. 

GM guys still complain about header fitment...     then again those headers are like $80.   :yesnod:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

HPP

Unfortuantly, if you really want to step up the wheel rates, the mopar t-bars come up short as the biggest you can fit these days is 1.22.

Lotsa new ;ight duty trucks use t-bars now, especially GM versions.

Scaregrabber

Ugh: You guys know that a coil spring is just a torsion bar that is wound right? There is one critical difference though torsion bars are not unsprung weight, coil springs are unsprung weight so a torsion bar car has the ability to handle better than a non-torsion bar car. Ford guys are generally okay but GM guys are generally ignorant of other makes.

Sheldon

Cooter

So The next time my buddy is watching NASCAR, I should look for the T-bars in the pits they are staggering right?

The next Time You order a Tubular K-frame from the aftermarket for handling upgrades, I should see big ass T-bars, instead of the Coilover shocks and Twin control arms.

So, All those Exotic Sports cars Should have a better handling T-bar set up then?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Brass

Don't Porsches and Mercedes have torsion bars too?

Ghoste

Scaregrabber

Cooter: Yes that NASCAR TBI setup is way better than multipoint injection as well. Keep buying what you see advertised in magazines.

Sheldon

Nacho-RT74

Love T bars, and love the fact to adjust it with just a bolt and not cutting or shimming coilovers!!!

My car was still with factory bars and just replaced because went with thicker ones for performance. however they were still with lot of life to come by. For a while any GM from same years ( 70s ) has changed their coilovers maybe 4 times on its life, maybe more.

Now, on an OVAL or CIRCUIT kind race useage, is not just the Bars or coilovers fact what changes, is ALL THE SUSPENSION... not even GMs or Fords keeps originals
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Now, why they HATE them... maybe because the fact THEY CAN'T USE THEM on their cars ? LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Cooter

Quote from: Scaregrabber on July 19, 2012, 01:02:32 PM
Cooter: Yes that NASCAR TBI setup is way better than multipoint injection as well. Keep buying what you see advertised in magazines.

Sheldon

Wow. If T-bars were/are so awesome, I simply asked the question wonder why I don't see them being sold with those aftermarket front suspensions. Sure, would I swap them out for that Overpriced Front suspension with coilovers? No, I'm still running T-bars, because they are/were there....No cost to me.

PS: I "buy" very little from magazines. Most times, I have to fabricate many of my own parts, or get 'em online. Me? Fuel Injection? Multipoint-port, whatever?  :smilielol:   Not, until it comes down in price to where I can "buy" [Albeit, Not from a magazine though] a Holley carb brand new for.

elacruze

Quote from: Cooter on July 19, 2012, 08:13:35 PM
Quote from: Scaregrabber on July 19, 2012, 01:02:32 PM

Sheldon

Wow. If T-bars were/are so awesome, I simply asked the question wonder why I don't see them being sold with those aftermarket front suspensions. Sure, would I swap them out for that Overpriced Front suspension with coilovers? No, I'm still running T-bars, because they are/were there....No cost to me.

You don't see them sold with aftermarket front suspensions because they don't fit in the factory holes for 99% of the market (GM) and Chrysler doesn't need aftermarket suspension. Duh.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Cooter

Quote from: elacruze on July 19, 2012, 10:38:21 PM

Chrysler doesn't need aftermarket suspension. Duh.

I'll remember that when I see yet another thread on here about those "Alter-k-tion" Kits being installed on ...well...A mopar. :2thumbs:

Mike DC

T-bars make it impractical to change the suspension geometry very much, they make it very difficult to swap the setups over to a different chassis, and they lack aftermarket support.

When you're a GM/Ford guy, you're raised on the idea that suspension geometry is the biggest handling problem a classic car has. 

You also inherently need to swap in a T-bar setup to get one - because you're a GM/Ford guy. 

And you want aftermarket help for any swapping, because you don't know squat about what Mopars came with from the factory, and you wouldn't know where to get used Mopar stuff even if you did - again, because you're a GM/Ford guy.   

elacruze

Quote from: Cooter on July 19, 2012, 11:44:57 PM
Quote from: elacruze on July 19, 2012, 10:38:21 PM

Chrysler doesn't need aftermarket suspension. Duh.

I'll remember that when I see yet another thread on here about those "Alter-k-tion" Kits being installed on ...well...A mopar. :2thumbs:

At risk of offending somebody who has done this, I see it as either wasted money or merely bling. Just my opinion, feel free to disregard it...
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Ghoste

Agreed, have only seen one go through the conversion (on the car of an acquaintance) and I can't say that I will ever be doing it.

Nacho-RT74

well... who cares about GM/Ford guys hating T bars ? keep hating and I'll keep happy... AREN'T THEY HATING MOPARS FOR WHATEVER REASON ANYWAY ? I'll keep my T bars 40 years more for a while they will be replacing again maybe 3 times the coil overs on same years, or cutting and shimming coilovers to set the ride height, what I make with a bolt.

THEN THEY WILL HATE ME MORE WHEN SEE ME ABLE TO DO IT WITH ANY SPARK PLUG SOCKET AND A REGULAR RACHET ANYTIME ;) :lol:

bordin34

Mopar T-bars I like because they have an adjustment to set ride height without re-indexing.
The t-bars in my 944 I dont like because there is no adjustment and you have to remove them to set ride height.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Ghoste

I guess the fact that very very few front end people seem to know how to properly align a Chrysler product with torsion bar would help get a bad rap too now that I think about it.

Scaregrabber

I think if Mopar's didn't have T-bars, that noisy starter and the cool looking alternator as well as other unique items I wouldn't like them near as much.

Sheldon

BigBlackDodge

If it's good enough for tanks it's good enough for my Charger! (which is very tank-like!)

BBD :smilielol:

Inspector71

Everyone's experience is different and mine no better than anyone else. In my many years, I have found too many Chivvy people who wouldn't get past wondering why anyone would drive other than a Chivvy to ponder torsion bars. The Ford people haven't been as bad.