News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First I felt, then I found it - But what caused it?

Started by Dave22443, July 16, 2012, 08:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave22443

I was beginning to feel a slight vibration at highway speeds.  I wanted to change the gears anyway so I pulled the third member out and found this.  I've never seen this before and assume this was the source of the vibration.  (The vibration is gone with the new member installed)  Does anyone know what would cause this?  I've looked at the rear closely and can't for the life of me understand how these marks would be here and what would cause them.  It looks like gear teeth hitting the body, but there is no way I can see how either the ring or pinion could cause this?  I need advice because I would like to use this rear again (its a 4.11 sure grip)

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Just 6T9 CHGR

Pinion nut loosened up & walked pinion into carrier......looks like in a previous life though as it looks like the pinion that is installed now shows no signs of damage?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dave22443

thanks for the fast reply!  This is the first time I have pulled this member as I got it in a trade from someone else so previous life damage may be spot on.  There does not appear to be any damage to the pinion but I was feeling a vibration. Everything else appears to be tight and in good condition as near as I can tell.  Do you think its OK to use again?  What should I look for to make sure?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Chryco Psycho

you should have excessive backlash & or play & the pattern would be way off on the teeth , if everything is tight it should be fine , possibly a bad U joint ?

Cooter

You say Vibration at highway speeds? Are you running an Ovewrdrive transmission? If so, some of the newer cars driveshaft speeds hit in excess of 10K RPM on OD.

4.10's sound nice until you hit 85 MPH in OD. Better hope that driveshaft is balanced correctly.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dave22443

Hi Cooter,

No overdrive, but with those gears I was sure wishing I had one!  :icon_smile_big:

That was the main reason for changing the gears.  I tossed in a set of 2.76 gears for a while to do some cruising.  Thats when I found the damage.  Since changing the gears, the vibration appears to be gone.  The 3rd member was all that I changed so I'm still scratching my head on that one.

- Abraham Lincoln

oldkimmer

................u may have bad pinion bearings.........kim.............
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!