News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

15x10 magnum 500 Wheels

Started by Smith55, July 17, 2012, 06:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith55

My new wheels just came in today they are 15x10 with 5 b.s. I have not got my tires in yet but the wheels are to big, I will have to trim some on the quarter to get them to clear,  I have researched and measured and I am at a loss of which way to go now, send them back or trim, any suggestions!! 1969 Charger RT/SE Super Track Pack all number matching, 

macca3441

I'll be interested to hear what others have to say regarding your issue.
I run the exact wheel with no problems. Mine's just a base model 68, so maybe there's a difference with your's being a "track pack" SE??

Wade

twodko

From what other member have said, 5.5" BS is what you need. Return them and get the 5.5. Other members will chime in here if I'm incorrect.
I run 15x8's on the back of my 69, when I have some extra cash (like that'll fall right outta my ass) I'm swapping them out for 15x10's and will mount some 295 50's. This is about the biggest we can go without hacking the fender well up. Hacking = bad IMO. With this setup our cars look mean and nasty......like they're supposed to.  :2thumbs:

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Brass

I also have 15x10 Magnums with 5" backspace on my base model 68.  No problems.  I'm not the only one either.  I researched extensively before I bought, and I remember making note of as little as 4.25" of backspacing on a 10" rim without issue.  I would try mounting the tires and see if they fit.  If they don't, maybe your springs are sagging(?)  Or a lot less likely, it could be your car was hit in the rear at one time and the clearance isn't quite right anymore.  :shruggy:

twodko

Brass, do you think there could be enough difference between each side where one wheel would be tight/touch and the other side OK?  :shruggy:

chargerboy69

I run a 18X10 with 5.5" backspace and have plenty of room.  Not sure why a 5" backspace is not working.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Patronus

I too run a 15x10 with a 5" backspacing without interference.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bill440rt

Me three.  :yesnod:

15" x 10" Centerlines with a 5" backspace. 295/50 tires. Stock suspension with MP leaf springs. Plenty of room on both sides of the tire with room to spare. No rub issues.

I also run a 19x10 with a 5.5" backspace on my other car, no rubs there either. There's even more room because of less tire sidewall "bubble". 

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Paul G

Quote from: twodko on July 17, 2012, 08:07:20 PM
Brass, do you think there could be enough difference between each side where one wheel would be tight/touch and the other side OK?  :shruggy:

Absolutely. The rear axle is not centered perfectly from the factory. Measure both sides. You might be surprised.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

charger Downunder

Has the diff been changed and is the wrong width now.
[/quote]

Smith55

Its the stock dana 60 the quarters have been replaced though, My tires should be here today 295 50 15, Im going to bite the bullet and mount them and see what happens,

Dino

Be sure to measure the rims themselves first.  You ordered 5" bs but that's not necessarily what they sent you.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Patronus

Mine rub just a bit and I replaced the qtrs.. Nothing really bad.
I almost went with the magnums too.. Picking out wheels is the hardest I think.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Brass

Patronus, your car looks awesome.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: Brass on July 19, 2012, 07:40:00 PM
Patronus, your car looks awesome.

I can't see it?     :shruggy:

I have had several sets of the 15x10s with 295-50s with as I recall 5.5"BS.  They will shine the leaf or the outer wheel house at times depending on load &/or cornering sidewall.   mmmm they look good to my head :drool5:

GPULLER

15X10 with 5" backspace works great on 1st gens.  If they don't work out there might be someone on the 66-67 site that would buy them.

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

HPP

Are your quarter panels original or new replacements? 

Brass

Bump.  Do they fit?  Have any pictures?

Smith55

Well my tires have been on backorder from summit racing, now there telling me October and I cancelled my order and found them with Coker tires, should have them next week!
BF goodrich 295-50-15 Radial TA :drool5:

twodko

bull

I'd say it's much wiser to change wheels than it is to start carving up your quarter panels.

Patronus

Quote from: HPP on July 20, 2012, 04:15:17 PM
Are your quarter panels original or new replacements? 
[/quote

AMD circa 2010
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Smith55

If the tires dont fit, I am sending them back, I will not cut on this car, I should have them this coming week, its the look Im going for, I love the chargers with rear wheel well full of tire!  :drool5: :drool5:

HPP

Quote from: Patronus on August 04, 2012, 07:25:02 PM

AMD circa 2010

Well, I was asking the OP to try to clear up a potential issue, but since it's out...New panels tend to have slightly differing dimensions that do not exactly match the originals.  I have seen multiple posts on several different web sites of guys having issues with tire fitment after new panels have been installed. This is typically due to the slightly wider wheel opening lip that is found on new panels compared to the old ones. ou can comapre than to an origianl car to see how much different yours are form original. You can then decide to trim , fold, or roll them to better mimic originals.