News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A bit of a rant...dropped a part and the engine bay swallowed it....

Started by Dans 68, July 17, 2012, 06:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

So I pulled the alternator out of my '73 to access the fuel pump. I was in the act of re-installing the top bolt and spacers (long and short) on the alternator (an interference fit by my take) when the short spacer fell. Exactly where it fell is a matter of conjecture. It was not on the floor. I looked on the K-frame with no success. I scoured the distributor cap and top of the intake pan and got nowhere. After an hour of looking I called it quits. Took off my overalls and washed my hands of it.

So, where do I get a replacement spacer?  :brickwall:   ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

twodko

If you don't have one of those telescoping magnet tipped wands, please pick one up. They are inexpensive and have save me untold grief in situations just like this.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Chryco Psycho

drop something similar in the same place & see where ti goes !

404NOTFOUND

Keep looking. These cars don't have a lot of hiding spots compared to other cars. I have dropped many items. All were easily found.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Chryco Psycho

I spent 2 hrs looking for a lash cap they bolted , it was hidden in the sway bar mount , I knew it didin't go into a black hole / other universe but still could not locate it with a magnet or anything else

BigBlackDodge

Ahhhh...........the underhood black hole! Not even light (or spacers) can escape!

You'll find it in your driveway about a month from now when the black hole has tired of it. :yesnod:

BBD

Ram07

its like doing laundry...right....ya know you put two socks in, but only one comes out of the dryer....it's a mystery!

Fred

Quote from: twodko on July 17, 2012, 06:55:00 PM
If you don't have one of those telescoping magnet tipped wands, please pick one up. They are inexpensive and have save me untold grief in situations just like this.  :Twocents:

Used mine many times. Always successful.  :yesnod:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Cooter

Get a caliper slide rebuild kit for a GM vehicle like the S-10 Pick up truck. Got little 2/4" long spacers that work PERFECTLY for this.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

68X426

Dan - solution ..... open the hood, turn your car upside down and shake it, the spacer will pop out.  :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

doctor4766

Quote from: 68X426 on July 18, 2012, 12:59:33 AM
Dan - solution ..... open the hood, turn your car upside down and shake it, the spacer will pop out.  :2thumbs:

OMG I was just about to suggest that
Gotta love a '69

Ghoste

I wouldn't just give up yet though.  You have to find it.

b5blue

Look between the blocks front and the backside of the fuel pump, that's where mine tried to hide......

ChgrSteve67

I would take the Alt back out and find the spacer.
The motor mount is a good place for items like this to hide.

Turning the car upside down and shaking it is also a good technique. I'm sure 68X426 & doctor4766 will be more than willing to come to your place and help you execute that.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Dans 68

Thanks for all the "comments".  ;)  Yeah, I'll get back on it this weekend, and I'm sure I'll find it with only a minimum of effort. But at the time it sure felt like someone was playing with me. I love working on these cars, and at the same time I detest it. Go figure....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

tan top

dropped sockets & bolts & other  stuff  in that area ,  , this is where they are always to be found  
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Troy

Quote from: b5blue on July 18, 2012, 02:41:49 PM
Look between the blocks front and the backside of the fuel pump, that's where mine tried to hide......
Quote from: tan top on July 18, 2012, 04:17:06 PM
dropped sockets & bolts & other  stuff  in the area ,  , this is where they are alway to be found 

These were my ideas as well.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Paul G

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 17, 2012, 07:40:20 PM
drop something similar in the same place & see where ti goes !

As funny as it sounds it works! Just dont sacrifice anything important.

Look under the radiator. There is a cavity under there too.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Ghoste

Quote from: Dans 68 on July 18, 2012, 03:49:16 PMI love working on these cars, and at the same time I detest it. Go figure....

Dan

I know exactly how you feel and I would bet it applies to nearly all of us at one time or another.

elacruze

I had a washer disappear into a hole in the top of the frame in front of the firewall, never to be seen again.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

71charger_fan

I've had things like that hide themselves away where the front subframe meets the firewall. Seems like a long journey from the alternator, but just the right bounce could do it.

As much as I hate dropping things I've come to appreciate the sound of said dropped item hitting the floor.