News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rail Car Shipping

Started by ChgrSteve67, July 17, 2012, 05:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

Someone posted this on facebook and I thought I would share.

I did not know they ever shipped cars like this.

ChgrSteve67

And would there be a problem with the gas and oil running places it should not standing the car on its nose?

DC_1

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on July 17, 2012, 05:24:53 PM
And would there be a problem with the gas and oil running places it should not standing the car on its nose?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Guess they don't put fluids in these until they reach their destination.

mauve66

they looked like vegas, maybe it wasn't the aluminum engines fault after all............................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

472 R/T SE

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on July 17, 2012, 05:28:16 PM
Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on July 17, 2012, 05:24:53 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

Guess they don't put fluids in these until they reach their destination.

But what about the ones down in the bottom right hand corner.  How did they get there?

69bronzeT5

From what I know is they actually built those rail cars just to ship the Vega's....

"The Vega was designed for vertical shipment, nose down. General Motors and Southern Pacific designed "Vert-A-Pac" Railroad cars to hold 30 Vegas each, compared with normal tri-level autoracks which held 18. The Vega was fitted with four removable cast-steel sockets on the underside and had plastic spacers—removed at unloading—to protect engine and transmission mounts. The rail car ramp/doors were opened and closed via forklift. Vibration and low-speed crash tests ensured the cars would not shift or suffer damage in transit. The Vega was delivered topped with fluids, ready to drive to dealerships, so the engine was baffled to prevent oil entering the number one cylinder; the battery filler caps high on the rear edge of the casing prevented acid spills; a tube drained fuel from carburetor to vapor canister; and the windshield washer bottle stood at 45 degrees"
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Slowpoke

I think the Vega wagon in the first picture is my first car. :nana:

Even with the bad rap they got i really enjoyed driving the crap out of that Vega gt wagon.
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

Highbanked Hauler

So they must have been standing on the front bumper ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

moparstuart

look at all those daytona clone donors    :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TruckDriver

I wish I could find a rust free Vega cheap. The poor man's Camaro. I had 2 of them when I was younger. You could actually cherp the tires in the first 3 gears if you had the 2bbl engine & the 4spd. Good gas milage too.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Old Moparz

First thing I thought of was, 3 balls for a quarter to try to win a prize.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

BB1

Gezz the don't do that anymore, bi and tri lvl is how it's done today.

I'll take a 24 pack of Vegas please.  :smilielol:
Delete my profile

Todd Wilson

The SP was a leader in coming up with ways to ship years ago. They were the ones to come up with the stack and trailer train stuff years ago.

Todd

stripedelete

Neat stuff.  Thanks for posting.  If someone had told me about this I would have called B.S. 

I wonder how many more cars they got on with this method?  It reminds me a little of the K-Car. Its length was specific to getting one more on a rail car.   At least that's what Lee said.    ;)

Robert96

That's the most unusual method I've ever seen. The Cincinnati and Lake Erie Traction Line actually pioneered the trailer train back in the early 30's. Cincinnati to Detroit overnight!

Ghoste

Interesting stuff Steve.  Did GM foot the billl for the rail cars too I wonder or did they just design it and strongarm the rail company into making them?  ("trust us, we'll be building these things for decades, you'll make your investment back")

ChgrSteve67

Could you imagine one of the doors falling open while the train was moving.

And it just doesn't look safe to be around.