News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

daytona on ebay

Started by cdr, July 14, 2012, 08:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Indygenerallee

I think that car is here in Indiana
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

A383Wing

Quote from: cdr on July 14, 2012, 08:01:34 PM
    there is a bracket bolted to the rear valance next to the tail pipe what is it for ?

I think it's the transport tie-down brackets? It has 2, one on each side

Bryan  (I could be wrong...usually am)

hemi68charger

Quote from: Indygenerallee on July 14, 2012, 08:08:04 PM
I think that car is here in Indiana

It is.. That's my friend's F6.. Nice car.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Lighthorseman

Beautiful car.  LOVE that F6!  :drool5:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: A383Wing on July 14, 2012, 08:30:03 PM
Quote from: cdr on July 14, 2012, 08:01:34 PM
    there is a bracket bolted to the rear valance next to the tail pipe what is it for ?

I think it's the transport tie-down brackets? It has 2, one on each side

Bryan  (I could be wrong...usually am)

I doubt it's a tie down bracket as there is no hole in it for a hook to go through. I don't know what the real purpose of it was, but every 68-69 Charger has them. On a separate but related note, that picture shows quite a lot.

f6f6f6daytona

The bracket is the tail pipe exhaust hanger.....if you look closely you can see where the chrome tips slide into the rubber receiver holder which Is connected to that bracket.....very hard piece to find, at least for me it was!!

Yes, by the way....this is MY car!!!

moparstuart

Quote from: f6f6f6daytona on July 15, 2012, 06:11:47 AM
The bracket is the tail pipe exhaust hanger.....if you look closely you can see where the chrome tips slide into the rubber receiver holder which Is connected to that bracket.....very hard piece to find, at least for me it was!!

love the car  so wish i could afford it    :drool5: :drool5:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

held1823

Quote from: moparstuart on July 15, 2012, 06:42:18 AM
love the car  so wish i could afford it    :drool5: :drool5:

ditto. i'm checking last night's lottery tickets as we speak.

look for an edit of this post, if one of them hits...
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

WINGIN IT

I thought the OP was talking about the bracket polted directly to the bottom the valence panel where you can see the head of the bolt.
Is this the chrome tip holder? It looks like that one is farther back.

moparstuart

Quote from: f6f6f6daytona on July 15, 2012, 06:11:47 AM

:rofl:  pretty easy to find i just looked in my trunk
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

odcics2

Not the original hood.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

mauve66

sweet color and pretty cheap considering, seller bought a fiberglass nose in 2008, wonder if its on the car?? doesn't matter though , i can't afford it :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

f6f6f6daytona

Yes, top of the line Janak nose!!!  All original guts......Original was too far gone to restore to the standards of the rest of the car....

resq302

For what its worth, I think the hook part that someone was talking about was the V shaped part which also gets attached with the exhaust tip hanger.  Someone told me over the years that was where the jack was supposed to go but I have never needed to try it out to see if that is where you would jack up the car.  Either way, I have only used my jack once and it was to change out a tire going flat.  If it were up to me, I'd NEVER use one of the stock jacks.  Too unsturdy and way too much can happen with a bumper type jack.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

A383Wing

Quote from: WINGIN IT on July 15, 2012, 08:11:20 AM
I thought the OP was talking about the bracket polted directly to the bottom the valence panel where you can see the head of the bolt.
\

this bracket?

Bryan

cdr

Quote from: A383Wing on July 15, 2012, 04:08:48 PM
\

this bracket?

Bryan

YES
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

WINGIN IT

Quote from: cdr on July 15, 2012, 05:33:34 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on July 15, 2012, 04:08:48 PM
\

this bracket?

Bryan

YES

What he said  :yesnod:

Mytur Binsdirti

Here's a couple pictures of said bracket on my car. What purpose the "hoop" portion serves is beyond me?

Indygenerallee

I have often wondered what purpose that bracket served as well! When I tore into my 69 I looked at them and I can only take they were afterthought to stregthen the back valance to frame area?!  :shruggy:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

hemigeno

I think the hoop portion of the bracket could have served as a rear tiedown point for the car during initial shipment, using a "J" hook that would fit into the recessed portion of the bracket.  The bracket didn't have a hole that went all the way through, since doing so would have allowed the chain or hook to make contact with the exhaust tip and would have undoubtedly damaged it while in transit.  I don't think the hook would have slipped out as long as the rear tiedown chains were crossed or at least angled towards the center of the car - but I could be wrong entirely.

The front of the car was tied down via a hole on the vertical face of the front frame rail, forward of the front tires.  Frank Badalson and I had discussions about whether it was appropriate to put some scratch marks on the frame at that location, showing the transporter's tiedown evidence.  (incidentally, I wouldn't recommend regularly using those holes or the rear brackets for your own hauling's tiedown points, since the metal is only lightly reinforced in that area of the frame - Chrysler needed it to hold for one trip on the transporter only).

:Twocents:

elacruze

That is actually a bumper to save the valence and fuel tank from contacting the roadway such as leaving the gas station-ask me how I know.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

cdr

THANX GUYS i have figured it out! they are wheelie bars :smilielol:

cdr

part of the problem is they should be under the valance,just looked at my car & they dont hang down near as low as this cars