News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

to cover or not to cover

Started by dodgey68, July 14, 2012, 12:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgey68

i couldnt find  anything on here,, i have a very light bed sheet to cover the car while in my shed due to dust settling and other crap,i try and drive the charger  every weekend, and dont wanna have too wash it every time i get it out,,, some times it dosnt leave the shed for a month, but when i do, i pull the sheet off and off i go, ,,, but i have heard bad things about car covers, some dont breath and keep the moisture in (we know what that does) others scratch, some cause moisture bubbles in the paint (i have seen that) and some are just shit 
what do some off you guys use or do

ok so ya car (charger) is sitting,,  other than the climate controlled air tight room,  what :shruggy:
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

41husk

I just use a california Duster to wioe em off when I take them out.  It only takes a few seconds and it works pretty well.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

I liked the old Super Cheap Auto show car covers, they don't make em anymore but they were the best indoor car cover, and thick too so the chance of the wife or kids damaging it by banging into it would be greatly reduced. Depending on how dusty the environment is dust could eventually work its way through the cotton though, so I'd suggest washing it every 3 - 6 months. The Autotechnica covers from rare spares are quite nice too, I'm just not a fan of the stripe up the middle. If it's going to sit for a long time I'd cover it with the cotton car cover then put one of the cheap painters plastic covers on top of that. If your worried about it not breathing you can poke a few holes in the plastic cover. But by the sounds of it it only sits Monday though Friday arvo.  

Fred

Mate, I've been to all the speed shops to check out covers and there are some good quality ones out there but here's the drawback........firstly I couldn't find a single one specifically designed for the charger so you'd have to get the biggest one available in order to get the length and secondly the more durable ones are just so heavy and cumbersome that it takes two people to get them on and off. (in order to prevent scratching) Because of the size you can't just lift them off, you have to roll them up as you go then roll it back on again. Also you then need somewhere you can put it until it goes back on the car again.
So my wife suggested we go to Spotlight and buy some polar fleece and give that a try.  We just bought two lengths and sewed it up the middle. It works a treat. It's extremely light weight and it also keeps out any moisture. When dirty she just sticks it in the washing machine and it dries in an instant so it can go back on the car again same day. I don't think I can improve on it.
Give it a try, it's cheap enough so you've got nothing to lose.
Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

myk

I'm told that you shouldn't cover the car if it's dirty, as the cover can rub the dirt into the paint.  Other than that, I say cover it, and use it along with the CA duster using very light strokes, shaking dirt out often...

Bob T

My wife sewed two kingsize sheets together for my last few cars , covered a Charger only just, fortunately, this one came with a California Car Cover, pretty good fit too  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

twodko

Buy yourself a California Duster and a California "Dust Topper" car cover. Worth every penny. Never cover any car with it's dirty.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

jb666

California Car Covers are the best.. I would never use anything but that, on mine.. With that said, it'll never touch my finish unless my car is 100% spotless first...

Who finds it annoying to have to wipe the car down (basically quick detail it) after every outing? It is the price to pay for such luxuries although it becomes quite monotonous.

Bobs69

"To cover or not to cover."  I thought this thread was going to be about safe sex. :shruggy:

mauve66

i thought he was asking if ship should cover his nip when going out or  not
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

bill440rt

Quote from: 440 on July 14, 2012, 01:19:07 PM
Who finds it annoying to have to wipe the car down (basically quick detail it) after every outing? It is the price to pay for such luxuries although it becomes quite monotonous.

I usually let the car cool down for about an hour, then run the duster over it before covering. The main key of keeping it clean & looking fresh is not to let the dirt/grime build up in the first place.
Yep, that's the price to pay.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

NHCharger

Another vote for California Duster. I live on a dirt road. The Chargers are in a garage with no covers. While the Charger is warming up for the drive I spend one minute wiping it down with the C/D.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Fred

Quote from: bill440rt on July 14, 2012, 03:02:09 PM
Quote from: 440 on July 14, 2012, 01:19:07 PM

I usually let the car cool down for about an hour, then run the duster over it before covering. The main key of keeping it clean & looking fresh is not to let the dirt/grime build up in the first place.
Yep, that's the price to pay.
:Twocents:

I enjoy every minute of it (take her out at least twice a week). Who wouldn't enjoy rubbing that body down.  :icon_smile_big:

twodko

Ooooo Fred I love it when talk like that ya Randy man!  :icon_smile_big:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Charger RT

I have a cover I don't use. I got tired of taking it off then putting it on. My car still has the factory applied paint on it with a few retouched spots but I figured if it made it this long without a cover, most of those years outside whats a few more years uncovered inside gonna hurt. We move it out of the garage every week when we work out there so the cover just was a pain. My son washes it when dirty.
Tim

Fred

Where can you buy a California Duster?

myk

Quote from: Charger RT on July 14, 2012, 10:46:05 PM
I have a cover I don't use. I got tired of taking it off then putting it on. My car still has the factory applied paint on it with a few retouched spots but I figured if it made it this long without a cover, most of those years outside whats a few more years uncovered inside gonna hurt. We move it out of the garage every week when we work out there so the cover just was a pain. My son washes it when dirty.
Tim

Factory paint?  Seriously?  I imagine that you live in a relatively dry state?  In any case, beautiful car and I'm glad it's lasted you this long with such little trouble.  As for the CA duster, now...you're not supposed to "clean" it right?  I'm told that the dirtier it is, the better it works, however doesn't all that dirt just end up being dragged across your car every time you use it?

bill440rt

The CAD fibers are soaked with paraffin wax. I just bought a new one, retiring one after 10 years or so. You're supposed to leave it sitting on newspapers overnight so that the paper soaks any excess wax.
Lightly run it over the car the first few times you use it. Getting a little dust on it breaks it in.
It will appear a little dirty, but it really isn't. I do a section, shake it out, do another section, shake it out, and so forth. It's never made a scratch or caused swirls.
I was sold on it after attending a show on the boardwalk on the beach. It was windy, & at the end of the day the car was covered with sand. A friend let me borrow his, & it removed all the sand without even leaving a mark. I've been using them ever since.

http://calcarduster.com/
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mauve66

Quote from: Fred on July 14, 2012, 10:50:40 PM

Where can you buy a California Duster?

in california.............. :pity:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

I might have to buy one before leaving California  :lol:  Want one Fred ?

Fred

Quote from: 440 on July 15, 2012, 11:11:14 AM
I might have to buy one before leaving California  :lol:  Want one Fred ?

Only if you're Santa Clause!  :smilielol:
But seriously mate, thanks for the offer, that's mighty nice of you. But I'm pretty satisfied with my polar fleece and the car is always garaged  so I think I'll leave it at that.
Thanks mate,
Fred

Fred

Quote from: twodko on July 14, 2012, 10:39:30 PM
Ooooo Fred I love it when talk like that ya Randy man!  :icon_smile_big:

It's alright Tom, I have the wife's permission.  :lol:

PA Dodger

My dad dusted his car off with a Cali Duster and then covered it with a California Car Cover's DustTop cover when he parked it. The cover is as soft as plush flannel. All he ever had to do is lightly detail his car once in a great while if he was going to a show.
I just used a Cali Duster on my car when I took it out. Never covered it. My car took much more work to keep it show worthy. Now I cover mine all the time.
If you buy a car cover BUY A GOOD ONE!  Cheap ones will do much damage. :Twocents:
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

moparstuart

I have two california covers  love them both  best ever
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE