News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are these symptoms of a lean carb?

Started by 66FBCharger, July 12, 2012, 07:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I have a stock '69 440. It has an Edelbrock 1407. The car is a 4 speed with 3.54 gears.
The car has a hesitation or poor throttle response from idle. Once I seem to get a little farther into the throttle the hesitation goes away. I am guessing that the idle circuit is too lean.
One other thing to note is, in Ct. they only sell gas with 10% alcohol (i forget if it is ethanol or methonol). I am figuring the alcohol in the gas would tend to lean out the fuel.
The other thing that I think indicates a lean mixture is, when I am cruising and let off the throttle, I hear a pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop out of the exhaust until I give it more throttle. It is worse at highway speeds.
Do you agree I need to get an Edelbrock tuning kit and need to change the step up rod to a little richer mixture?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Chryco Psycho

the eddy carbs are always on the lean side , if you have a long duration cam with low vacuum you may find that it will not adjust as you cannot change the air bleeds for idle or jetting

B5charger

I had the pop, pop, pop, pop issue with my charger last summer.  I adjusted the mixture screws on the front of the carb.  Just make sure that you adjust both the same amount and not too much... like a quarter turn at a time, then try it out.

68 RT

Buy the tuning kt. Change to the lighter step up springs one up, You can try to go one step up on the rods ans primary jets, but I would go 2 steps. Also go at least one jet size up on the secondaries. I did this on my stock 440 and it worked out great. The instructions are pretty good, also keep track of your changes.
And what jet sizes and rods/springs you have in the carb. 

66FBCharger

Quote from: 68 RT on July 12, 2012, 11:29:40 AM
Buy the tuning kt. Change to the lighter step up springs one up, You can try to go one step up on the rods ans primary jets, but I would go 2 steps. Also go at least one jet size up on the secondaries. I did this on my stock 440 and it worked out great. The instructions are pretty good, also keep track of your changes.
And what jet sizes and rods/springs you have in the carb. 
Great advice. I printed off the instructions to tune this carb from the Edelbrock site.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Dino

The tuning kit may work but you may want to consider ditching the 1407.  I have the same and did a lot of research, apparently they don't like 440's.  I have the same off idle hesitation.  Very annoying.

My carb is rich at idle and lean at wot, it'll hesitate when you floor it as well.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

71bee

The Eddy Thunder Series 1812 or 1813 works much better on the 440 than the AFB Performers. it's like giving your engine a modern version of the original AVS.