News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

alternative to fuel vapor separator

Started by Silver R/T, July 27, 2006, 01:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Your pump has a screw-on fitting?  Gah!  Why do they keep selling/showing me something different?  Anyway, looking at my ultra-cramped Camaro's engine compartment gave me an idea that is ugly but will keep the kinks out: I am going to try routing the vapor separator and line along under the motor, then inner-fender and then up and over to the 'carb.

I'm gonna' feel really stupid if I find that my high speed surging was caused by that kinked fuel line and not the pump, 'carb, ignition and everything else I've been messing with over the past week...

471_Magnum

Here's a big ol' bump for you. Just stumbled across this thread.

The vapor outlet has an oriface in it.

Anyway, yes there is a much cheaper alternative. There is a WIX/Napa filter available that will work. Unfortunately, I'll have to do some digging to find the p/n.

It does not look like the factory one though. It does not have a mounting bracket. It is bare metal. Also, the vapor port is on the outlet (top) end, opposite the originals/repops.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Nacho-RT74

VERY interesting thread... din't know about this. THANKS! Now I see this, I think a buddy of mine got a problem with vapors and gas didn't arrived to carb so engine just died continuouslly!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 471_Magnum on January 05, 2008, 11:01:02 PM

Anyway, yes there is a much cheaper alternative. There is a WIX/Napa filter available that will work. Unfortunately, I'll have to do some digging to find the p/n.

Here's the stock mopar version  5/16" lines / 1/4" return    http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=FIL&PartNumber=3054&Description=Fuel+Filter+(Gold)            FIL3054

Heres the 3/8" version used on a  chevy   FIL3041  http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=FIL&PartNumber=3041&Description=Fuel+Filter+(Gold)
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Bobs69

Son of a Bitch!  I don't think I even have that on my car, I'll have to check!  Funny how many "mechanics" don't check these small things!

grdprx

You know, it's a funny thing.  I was readying over the shop manual last night and read about the vapor separator.  In the first paragraph, is says it's used on the 440 hp and 426 motors.  Does this mean it's not required in a build, as my car isn't a HP?  Just a 440...

craigandlynda

this fuel separator was the key to a problem i had when racing a sixpak superbee years ago.....everything went well during the quarter mile, til about 3/4's way down the 1320 the motor would starve for gas....turned out that i was using a regular two legged str8 thru filter....once i changed and put in the proper piece, the three legged separator, it solved the problem. consistant 12.0's. ;D

MoparMotel

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 06, 2008, 06:59:49 AM
Quote from: 471_Magnum on January 05, 2008, 11:01:02 PM

Here's the stock mopar version  5/16" lines / 1/4" return    http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=FIL&PartNumber=3054&Description=Fuel+Filter+(Gold)            FIL3054

Heres the 3/8" version used on a  chevy   FIL3041  http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=FIL&PartNumber=3041&Description=Fuel+Filter+(Gold)

I know this is a very old thread but I had a question on this post. I have been having vapor lock problems everytime I drive the car and went to napa today and purchased the #3054 vapor seperator above. My question is where is the 1/4 vapor line suppose to go out too?
1968 Dodge Charger

471_Magnum

Connects to the return line. Only 440 and hemi cars were equipped with the return line.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

MoparMotel

With my car being a 383 that explains why I couldn't find the return line  :slap:

Thank you
1968 Dodge Charger

471_Magnum

I'd be looking other places for your vapor lock issue.

Is your filter before or after the pump? Should be after.

Do you have an insulator under the carb? 5/16" insulator is pretty much a necessity.

MoparMotel

Filter is after the pump- no insulator just doubled up on gaskets when installing carb.
1968 Dodge Charger

Dino

So although I have the 440 and the rest of the drivetrain out of a squad car, I don't know if I have a return line.  Where is it and how do I recognize it?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

y3chargerrt

It runs on the frame rail right next to the fuel line.

Dino

Quote from: y3chargerrt on July 24, 2012, 08:35:23 PM
It runs on the frame rail right next to the fuel line.

I'll have to crawl under the car and see if I have a return line.  If not I can imagine it's not that hard to add?

Thanks Ron!  :2thumbs: 

Dino

Awww nuts, guess I don't have one of them seperator thingymajigs....

Man...where's all this oil coming from??