News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Mopar Engine Expert Opinions Needed

Started by suttonbrad, July 11, 2012, 12:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suttonbrad

I am having my 68 Charger engine built and I want a great performing engine, that runs on 93 octane gas but has a nice lope in it. Can you give me any advice on my setup before I get started? Any best practices? Best choices in parts? Cams? Etc greatly appreciated.

68 Charger
440 CC
727 trans
3:23 GEARS

ENGINE:
Bored 30 over
Probe forged piston
9.8:1 after milling the block and heads a bit
Recondition the rods with ARP bolts, crank grind, balance the assembly
Bore and Hone with Torque plates
Clevite Bearings
Perfect Circle rings
Fel-Pro gaskets
Cloyes timing
Melling HV oil pump
Mopar Purple Cam
280° Hydraulic: P4452993
Intake Duration, Nominal- 280°
Exhaust Duration, Nominal -280°
Intake Duration @ .050" -238°
Exhaust Duration @ .050" - 238°
Intake Lobe Centerline - 106° ATDC
Exhaust Lobe Centerline - 114° BTDC
Lobe Separation Angle - 110°
Overlap - 60°
Intake Opens - 34° BTDC
Exhaust Opens - 74° BBDC
Intake Closes - 66° ABDC
Exhaust Closes - 26° ATDC
Intake Lift - .474"
Exhaust Lift - .474"

Any issues here?

thanks,
Brad

FLG

Yep...get rid of that out dated purple grind.

What are you looking to do with the car? Weekend driver?

What model pistons do you have?

Engle K56 is nice choice, good low end power, nice idle with some lope.

K56 is 224@.050 & .504 lift (1.5 RR)

Dont run a HV pump unless your running a larger pan as you could run the pan dry at high RPM.

Look on ebay now and again for a Edelbrock CH4B intake, some Comp 911 springs and youll be set

Mild 440 with the K56 has been a pretty proven combo around here, before i took my motor apart we did 400hp 470 ft/lbs with a K56 cam, CH4B intake, headers that were too big for this combo, and with a CR at probably more near 9:1

:2thumbs:

Dino

Quote from: FLG on July 11, 2012, 01:45:48 AM
Yep...get rid of that out dated purple grind.

I apologize for hijacking this thread but what's wrong with the purple cam?  I have one in my 69.  Not the fastest 440 out there but with 2.96 gears I wouldn't expect it to be.  For a cruiser that only sees an occasional full throttle would it still make sense to swap to the K56 cam?  And if you say yes would it still make sense after I install the TQ 6545S ?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

c00nhunterjoe

There is nothing wrong with apurple cam, its just old technology. Take advantage of our big bore lifters and get a grind with a faster ramp angle. The quicker you get from .050 lift to full lift the more power you will make

Cooter

I remember a buddy who tried one of those Hughes "Fast Rate/.904 Lifter" cams. Ate a lobe...Called back to complain about how that fast ramp profile ate a lobe and Hughes told him he was driving it on the street and not enough oil getting to the lobes and he wasn't running the correct oil.

Both were semi-true. He was running the good oil. He also drove it on the street. I mean, afterall, that's what it was meant for. Maybe they have gotten those fast rate cams sorted by now, but when they first came out,  they weren't known for much. :Twocents:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"