News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HARD times call for HARD decisions - How much should I ask?

Started by ChargerBill, February 02, 2006, 12:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerBill

It just hasn't been a good past 3 years for me, and it's all coming to a head. I HATE even asking this question, but I'm in a bad spot. I may need to relocate for work, I can barely scrape enough to pay the bills living up here in the foothills which is primarily a retirement community and where decent paying jobs are pretty scarce.

So, here the description:

'69 383Charger, 727, steel top, highly optioned
bare shell stripped down, undercoating taken off, all primed, trunk replaced, most wheelwell rust fixed or patched, rust neutralized, floor pans clean with a dozen pencil head sized pocks and holes, Fenders straight and primed, doors straight and primed, hood straight and primed, 2 trunk lids, all glass good, all brightwork good - few small dents but very straight and clean - most just needs polished, cop steelies with dogdish caps, 2 sets 915 heads, 1 extra set 906 heads, one complete 1970 440 - disassembled but clean and buildable, ENTIRE car was there when disassembled and ALL goes with the car - all bagged, tagged, noted, marked, photos before disassembly, clean title and fender tag, VIN on dash, etc...

new NOS rear seat, new NOS dashpad,

new parts from Year One:

Headliner, carpet & jute, all weatherstripping, window sweeps, under4hood bolt kit, paint gasket kit, etc... $1,400 total in 2002

PST Deluxe Suspension kit

Transtar 727 kit w/ blueplate special clutch kit

new master cylinder, 76 aspen discs/spindles for upgrade,

about 60 hrs into restoring grille and trim

about 30 hrs into resporing dash and redying trim black

$500 in supplies - bondo, paper, wheels, interior dyes, primers, thinners, etc...

$700 in 1.5 gallons (3 gallons mixed- but NOT mixed yet) DuPonte Chromabase burnt orange metallic still in can if wanted

HONESTLY I can't even remember everything I have. All I know is I have about 700 hrs into the car and about $4K in new parts. I'm not sure I WANT to sell it...not if I can't get something out of it. I hate even talking or thinking about this, but I'm in a mess. This isn't a for sale ad guys, this is an honest question.

Now I'm gonna go cry in my milk (since I don't drink much beer, but maybe after posting this I will)....

Bill
Life is a highway...

Brock Samson

I feel for ya' CB,.. I'm facing a hard decision myself...
and I know all about the job sit. in that area, that's why i didn't move up there 15 years ago...
I got the same problem with the Vancouver area another place I'd like to live...
I don't have an awnser for ya' but I think Droptop would have a legit idea... I'd ask him... specificly, Calif commands a higher price then some other areas so figgure that factor into the equasion too..

Strat,..

ChargerBill

Quote from: Stratocharger on February 02, 2006, 12:32:12 PM
I feel for ya' CB,.. I'm facing a hard decision myself...
and I know all about the job sit. in that area, that's why i didn't move up there 15 years ago...
I got the same problem with the Vancouver area another place I'd like to live...
I don't have an awnser for ya' but I think Droptop would have a legit idea... I'd ask him... specificly, Calif commands a higher price then some other areas so figgure that factor into the equasion too..

Strat,..

This area will clean out your pocketbook and steal your dreams....I'm at about the lowest I've been ever. I've been holding off on this decision for about 6 months now, and STILL not sure I'll do it if I can find a way, but it's looking pretty bleak.

I'll try to get a hold of DropTop and see what he thinks. The sickening part about it is if I had 50 more hours to spend on the car and get it painted I could get 15K for it...but then it would DEFINITELY be harder to get rid of after looking at it all shiney and new looking.

Anyone know where there's a good sized rock I can crawl under? :rotz:
Life is a highway...

hemihead

I know how it is.Here in the wasteland of the U.S. ( Pittsburgh area),there is nothing also as far as good jobs.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Brock Samson

hey there Bunkie, there's a few good reasons to hold off alittle longer, one is that the gloomy weather and lack of sun effects the brain chemistry and makes us all depressed and/or stir crazy...
another is this is not a good time to market things like cars because folks are in the "winter after x-mas belt tightening bill paying mode"..
you'll git alot more intrest once the temps climb, the sun is higher in the sky and the flowers are all popping out...  :icon_smile_cool:
you'll feel different then too,.. you'll have alot more hope for the future yurself..

ChargerBill

Quote from: hemihead on February 02, 2006, 12:40:30 PM
I know how it is.Here in the wasteland of the U.S. ( Pittsburgh area),there is nothing also as far as good jobs.

I feel for ya...poor job opportunities suck.

You know what REALLY pi$$es me off? I've applied to about 100 jobs in the last 3 months or so. I look at their required qualifications and I am usually OVER qualified, but haven't got a call back yet. maybe i'm just a hack and not really very good after all...I mean, that's the message I'm hearing from the lack of resonse I'm getting. Some don't like the idea of me living so far away (from the bay area), some want more IT skills, quite a few say job is already filled AFTER I submit a resume and portfolio. I'm at a loss...don't know what to do. maybe Graphic Design is impacted...probably is since EVERYONE with a PC and a paint program considers themselves a Graphic Designer...

My biggest problem is that I really don't know how to rectify this situation. Get reeducated or persevere???
Life is a highway...

Brock Samson

BTW: CB,
I'd specificly ask the body and paint guys like Droptop, Cudaken and Jimshine, and the others who are in the biz...
there are some folks who will chime in without so much as a clue...

ChargerBill

Quote from: Stratocharger on February 02, 2006, 12:43:59 PM
hey there Bunkie, there's a few good reasons to hold off alittle longer, one is that the gloomy weather and lack of sun effects the brain chemistry and makes us all depressed and/or stir crazy...
another is this is not a good time to market things like cars because folks are in the "winter after x-mas belt tightening bill paying mode"..
you'll git alot more intrest once the temps climb, the sun is higher in the sky and the flowers are all popping out...  :icon_smile_cool:
you'll feel different then too,.. you'll have alot more hope for the future yurself..

Looks good on paper (monitor) but I'm telling you bud, I'm not feeling that optimistic. Besides, if things keep up I'll need the money just to pay bills.

Quote from: Stratocharger on February 02, 2006, 12:49:08 PM
BTW: CB,
I'd specificly ask the body and paint guys like Droptop, Cudaken and Jimshine, and the others who are in the biz...
there are some folks who will chime in without so much as a clue...

I'm taking into consideration the "off the top of my head" factor. I realize that I'll get a huge array of responses to this question. Heck, I may just ebay it and take my chances...end the auction if it starts looking bad, or set the reserve at the absolute minimum that I'd take. (just not sure what the reserve should REALISTICALLY be)
Life is a highway...

Brock Samson

Silver R/T

You should move over here, bring your charger with parts on trailer too. What kind of work do you do?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerBill

For that matter, I could part the whole Charger out and make 3 times as much, but I do STILL love the cars...don't want to ruin a perfectly good COMPLETE Charger just because my life is a mess right now. Maybe that's dumb, maybe when you're desperate you should do whatever it takes to survive, but I'd have a hard time living with myself after doing something like that.
Life is a highway...

Silver R/T

I went to Spherion (employment agency) and I had job like right after I put in my resume and application. They dont have job for everyone's skills but I sure have money to pay bills and keep my family going right now.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerBill

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 02, 2006, 12:52:20 PM
You should move over here, bring your charger with parts on trailer too. What kind of work do you do?

It's called R E A D I N G ...top to bottom, left to right., string words together to make sentences....you should try it sometime. :icon_smile_tongue:
Life is a highway...

Brock Samson

looks like silver is gonna buy your car, put ya' up and find you a job...
that's great your problems are solved!  :eyes:

41husk

As long as he aint asking you to move to broke back mountain :o 
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

69_500

I begining to think that Silver never reads anything past the first response in a thread before enlightening us with his comments.

Bill, sorry to hear about your lack of employment opprotunities. I lost my job back in November thought I had found a job in December, that fell through. Now I'm hoping to start at a new company on the 6th of this month. I know I wasn't out of work for very long, only 2 1/2 months, but it seemed like an eternity.

Have you tried to just do some side jobs for people? Or is that what you have been doing to get by in the mean time?

ChargerBill

Side jobs have been my mainstay for a while now. The main problems are:

1) getting paid in the end (I'm finding out that no one respects freelancers)

2) having the company that you're freelancing for actually follow through with the ENTIRE job (they lose money or interest or both and cancel a job with thou$and$ in work left to do)

3) or finding enough work in the first place - MANY clients will have their 14 yo grandson design a website before they are willing to pay for it.

In the last 30 days I LOST $4,900 in work. One company hired a NEW business manager in the middle of the project who cancelled the whole thing - $2,600, another company had it's assets frozen due to a nasty divorce - $1,500 and the last one had their 13 yo granddaughter design their website - $800

I'm not sure about anyone else here, but $4,900 isn't chicken feed to me...
Life is a highway...

BigBlockSam

Bill
  my heart goes out to you. sometimes you got to do what you thought you'ed never do.  when you find out what it's worth put it on ebay, get as much money as you can.
  i know it's not what you want to hear, selling one of my cars was  like selling part of myself but there are more chargers out there. in the future when things are better and i promise you they will get better. you can buy one that you can drive around instead of just working on.
  4 yrs ago i was forced to retire because of heath reasons. i have a pension but not till i'm 62. thats 15 yrs away. i had to sell alot of things i thought i'd never sell. a new road will open for you, stay focused and move near a big city. were theres money to be made. Rene and Nurit
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

4402tuff4u

Charger Bill, from the little that I know about Graphic Designers, I believe you are in a very competitive and cut-throat field. A good friend of mine got laid off in NYC as a graphic designer and he is very talented but was out of work for approximately 6 months until he found a job with the Betty Crocker catalog. Just as a suggestion, maybe try your hand at the instruction/teaching end at a local tech center or college to improve or add to your income. You seem to be very talented at what you do. Seems like everyone is getting winter blues lately. Hang in there. Think it out and don't jump or shoot from the hip. Weigh your options before pulling the trigger about your 69 Charger.

The 69 Charger you list is a complete car and in very similar situation when I bought my 68 R/T. My Charger was complete with new interior in boxes, all number matching power train and I paid $ 11,000 in 2004. Your car should be worth above that given the extras you have and the given the equity these Charger's are now bringing in. I would throw a stab at $ 15K.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

greenpigs

I guess you are interested in what the reserve price should be?

A car that is disassembled isn't worth that much as your aware. Would it be possible to get the car road worthy then you could make some decent money. If you try and sell as is I don't think you will get what the car is worth.
 So a value or reserve price-as Ebay is the way to go-I'd say $5500 and put a disclaimer that you reserve the right to end the auction at any time. This isn't going to be a pleasent situation as your going to loose money on the deal if you sell it the way it is.
 Could you be a bouncer or something again?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

ChargerBill

Thanks for all the advice guys.

As far as being a bouncer...I'm all fought out. I've probably been in 2,000 bar room brawls from my years of bouncing and I never want to throw or TAKE another punch again as long as I live.

To crack the nut I'm looking at these days I need to make $40K MINIMUM, and that would be a bare bones, no frills, very little fun living...I could retrain and have considered it many times..especially recently.

I also have a degree from UC davis in Corporate Management and am 3 units away from a second degree in Business Administration. I figure I could become a mortgage Broker, an Appraiser, could go to school for Six Sigma, could get my masters in Marketing/Advertising or maybe in Business Administration, I could learn ColdFusion, java, CSS and ASP authoring to make myself more marketable. i've considered ALL of these, and would do almost ANY of them if I had an idea on what would pan out and offer me a decent future and job stability. The other hard part is that ANY schooling will cost $$ that I don't have, so I'm back to selling the Charger. Heck, maybe I have a rich uncle that would loan me $50K to go back and get my masters...
Life is a highway...

last426

Quote from: ChargerBill on February 02, 2006, 12:55:59 PM
It's called R E A D I N G ...top to bottom, left to right., string words together to make sentences....you should try it sometime.

Bill, and this comes from a place of concern, it's that attitude that seems to simmer right under the surface that you just have to control.  It's a turn off, people don't like it, and it seems like it controls you. 

You said "I could learn ColdFusion, java, CSS and ASP authoring to make myself more marketable."  I am surprised that you are in web graphic design and not up to date.  It's true that everyone thinks they can be a graphic designer (I noticed that your degree is in business, not art and that surprised me) but very few can do it, much less support themselves doing it.  I know for sure that I do not have the artistic eye for it, although I can use many of the applications.  That being said, in my mind you absolutely must keep abreast of the latest applications and/or languages (if you decide to stay in your field).  I mean, css, asp and java are not exactly cutting edge.

I think (though I can't read the whole post as I write this) that you mentioned something about sending out a lot of job applications.  Well, sending an application cold is usually not enough to separate you from the herd.  You need to call those companies, speak to the secretaries, find out who makes the hiring decision, talk to that person personally (it's easier than you think) and ask just what they need.  Then tailor the application to that, plus then you have a contact.  Hey, if the person won't talk, ask the secretary.  Or send the application directly to the person and cc it to hr and maybe even the person's boss (carefully decide the pros and cons when you go out of the box).  I have done several different things in my different job searches, some good, some not so good, but all focused on one thing, making contacts, making a temporary friend, and focusing on what I can do for the company.  In you case, why not attach a customized web page of their home page and ask them to compare it to what they have -- if you are skilled and have new and better ideas, they will hire you. 

But remember (this goes back to my first comment), an employer has to make a choice from a lot of more or less similar applications.  That choice can be based on a lot of things, but one thing is paramount.  That is how one relates to people.  When I applied for my last job I was competing with 70 other attorneys, some with much more experience than me.  At the end of the third interview, this one with the big boss, I offered a copy of my resume and directed her to the references.  I told her, you know, you could call up those judges and they will tell you I am a good lawyer.  But don't do that.  Instead call up their secretaries and ask them what kind of person I am.  Her slight smile told me I had gotten the job.  Good luck, Kim.

NHCharger

Sorry to hear about your situation Bill. I was in the same position 14 years ago with the recession.I ended up selling my pride and joy, a 21' Checkmate speedboat, also sold my 280Z which I had bought new and had only 40k miles on it. I was unemployed for six+ months and was beginning to wonder if it would ever get better.
It seems like some parts of the country are doing better than other parts. Have you given any thought to relocating? Is there anything else you can sell besides the Charger?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

69_500

I know there is a high demand for people to design webpages, but there aren't a whole lot of people who are willing to part with any kind of funding to do it. For some reason people always want to get stuff for free. That is how society is. However as a consumer I can tell you this, if a company has a webpage that looks like its thrown together by a template it makes me less interested in their product.

With that said, I did the same thing though when I put up the webpage for our company. I didn't have the funding at the time to pay someone a decent amount to design an attractive webpage. So I went low budget and just did a simple shopping cart website. No frills but it got the job done. I guess what I'm saying is maybe doing a bunch of other lower budget web pages can be just as profitable.
I'll agree with you on $4,900 isn't chump change to me either. That is about what I make in 2 months of work. And that is between the constuction job I do full time and the video business on the side.

Mefirst

Sorry to hear about your situation Bill, I just hope youll find something soon.. Dont give up..

Take care..

/Tom

hemihead

Quote from: 41husk on February 02, 2006, 01:15:26 PM
As long as he aint asking you to move to broke back mountain :o 
OMG,I hope he isn't a Cowboy! :pity:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Charger_Fan

Reading this thread, there's quite a few good sounding ideas. I hope one or more of them will work for you & you won't have to sell your Charger. I almost sold mine 3 separate times through the years, for the very same reason.
I ended up selling other stuff instead.

I hope things turn around for you soon. :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Arthu®

Quote from: last426 on February 02, 2006, 04:02:13 PM
It's called R E A D I N G ...top to bottom, left to right., string words together to make sentences....you should try it sometime.

Bill, and this comes from a place of concern, it's that attitude that seems to simmer right under the surface that you just have to control.  It's a turn off, people don't like it, and it seems like it controls you. 

You said "I could learn ColdFusion, java, CSS and ASP authoring to make myself more marketable."  I am surprised that you are in web graphic design and not up to date.  It's true that everyone thinks they can be a graphic designer (I noticed that your degree is in business, not art and that surprised me) but very few can do it, much less support themselves doing it.  I know for sure that I do not have the artistic eye for it, although I can use many of the applications.  That being said, in my mind you absolutely must keep abreast of the latest applications and/or languages (if you decide to stay in your field).  I mean, css, asp and java are not exactly cutting edge.

I think (though I can't read the whole post as I write this) that you mentioned something about sending out a lot of job applications.  Well, sending an application cold is usually not enough to separate you from the herd.  You need to call those companies, speak to the secretaries, find out who makes the hiring decision, talk to that person personally (it's easier than you think) and ask just what they need.  Then tailor the application to that, plus then you have a contact.  Hey, if the person won't talk, ask the secretary.  Or send the application directly to the person and cc it to hr and maybe even the person's boss (carefully decide the pros and cons when you go out of the box).  I have done several different things in my different job searches, some good, some not so good, but all focused on one thing, making contacts, making a temporary friend, and focusing on what I can do for the company.  In you case, why not attach a customized web page of their home page and ask them to compare it to what they have -- if you are skilled and have new and better ideas, they will hire you. 

But remember (this goes back to my first comment), an employer has to make a choice from a lot of more or less similar applications.  That choice can be based on a lot of things, but one thing is paramount.  That is how one relates to people.  When I applied for my last job I was competing with 70 other attorneys, some with much more experience than me.  At the end of the third interview, this one with the big boss, I offered a copy of my resume and directed her to the references.  I told her, you know, you could call up those judges and they will tell you I am a good lawyer.  But don't do that.  Instead call up their secretaries and ask them what kind of person I am.  Her slight smile told me I had gotten the job.  Good luck, Kim.

Now that is the advice I would take, well said. People rarely hire on skills only (you should know this as you have a degree in business) it's much more important to sell yourself. Though don't pretend to be something you are not. Interviews are hard as you have to be yourself yet sell yourself for the position they have open. If I were you I would take Kim's advice, try to put a face to the application. Otherwise it is just another application as there are milions of them, because don't worry you are not alone. Good luck and I hope you don't have to sell the Charger in the end.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

ChargerBill

Kim, that is a quote from Tommy Boy (the movie)...and did you notice the smiley at the end?  :icon_smile_tongue: Silver NEVER reads anything before he starts to ask questions...to say that this is the core of my personality or my general attitude is a gross exaggeration. For every smart @$$ remark I make here is someone going to keep track of the encoragement, help, positive or self depricating remarks I make? Probably not, because it's easier to point out the bad than it is to recognize the good...and more fun too. ;) Right?

As far as NOT having a degree in design goes, I have had many with a degree tell me that I am better at what I do than many (even most) in the field. I have seen many with a degree who were complete hacks and couldn't design a handle for a toilet. besides, IMO a design degree is a a NOTHING degree...you're locked into ONE field. At least I could if I wanted go into management, sales, administration or somewhere else out in the business world...I think I made the right choice. Also, employers looking for designers don't ask SPECIFICALLY for a design degree, they ask for a bachelors or the equivalent in experience. With 24 total years in design (4 years of which took place even BEFORE I went to college) I'd say I have MORE than the equivalent of a bachelors in design. Heck, I see design graduates who don't know WHAT to do without their instructor looking over their shoulder telling them or a template to follow.... And if you ask over at GraphicDesignForum (where hundreds of design professionals gather) "Do you need a design degree to succeed as a designer?" over 70% of them will say no...and the other 30% are the ONLY ones who bothered to take CAKE coursework and get a degree in design...go figure, they're just defending their degree and the wasted money IMO. I also believe that a knack or an eye for design cannot be taught... Sure, you can learn the rules, the tools and programs and theory, but to truly be able to design, well, you either have it or you don't.

As far as not knowing CSS (as well as I'd like) or Java authoring...there hasn't really been a need on any project I've completed. The software I use creates it's own Java and CSS and I know enough about both of them to modify any script that isn't working according to the clients needs. ColdFusion is more of a back end app builder as is ASP, and again, there has never been a need up here in the Northern California Foothills. I am only now realizing that I need to fine tune my skill set if I want to work in the Bay Area or LA.

I agree that networking is the best way to get a good job, but living 3 hrs from the Bay Area and not knowing too many people down there kind of serves as an obstacle. As far as calling and following up, I have done that with about 30% of the applications I sent. As far as having the personality to get hired...I KNOW that if I get the interview I will get the job. Making people feel at ease and putting my best foot forward in person is probably what I do best.

Like I've said before in other posts, I belong to about 6 different discussion forums that I visit periodically, I have around 200 friends at the gym that I know by name (about 20 I'd consider close friends), I have around 300 friends at church and another 300 acquintances (about 30 I'd consider close friends), I know somewhere around 300 business owners here in town by first name (about 10 I'd consider close friends) and know about 100 people affiliated with my daughters school and after school sports, and I have around 20 alumni buddies from UCDavis and 100 from HS that I see and talk to periodically. Out of ALL of those individuals, the only ones that have any issues with me or feel the need to question my personality or friendliness suspiciously ALL exist here at DC.com. Don't get me wrong, there is a huge concentration of GREAT people here at DC.com and in the hobby in general, but since this hobby draws such a diverse group of individuals (income, race, religion, politics, etc..) there is more opportunity to disagree. Unfortunately, some people take disagreeing as disrespect. controlling or aggression...and I can't help that, yet I won't compromise my beliefs, ideals or opinions. Unlike the real world where there is a chance at a little privacy, or you can keep your voice low, or you can CHOOSE who you converse with and who you will ignore, the internet is a place where EVERYONE can listen to your conversation and comments...it is unique that way. Bottom line, I have never had any problem face to face with anyone...Kim, you know that first hand and I'm suprised that you question my attitude at all...I was cordial, even friendly and joking with you. If there's ANY aspect of my abilities or personality where I have absolutely no lack of confidence, it's in communicating with others and developing a strong and positive rapport. This website is an anomoly...because I believe wholeheartedly that most of the people here wouldn't say half the stupid or obnoxious or aggresive things that they do if we were all face to face with each other.

So, back to my car... I've heard $15,000 and $5,500...anyone think it might be somewhere else there in the middle?
Life is a highway...

Neal_J

Sorry to hear your plight, CB.  I genuinely hope things work out for you.

Unfortunately, the harsh reality is that you're totally screwed.  As someone who hires/fires them frequently, graphic designers & web designers are a dime a dozen here in NorCal (and one-tenth that cost offshore.)  As you noted, your living in the boonies doesn't help you any.  Perhaps you should take your career in a different direction & maybe harness that UCD business degree and focus on a niche without (literally) thousands of competitors.  Lastly, I do agree with Last426: your attitude, and thinly-disguised rage, are dreadful.  I honestly wonder how much of the "lost" business might ultimately be traceable to your demeanor.   Hmmm.

Oh, and don't bother ranting at the harshnest of my reply - you broached the topic.

I hope you're able to keep your car or at least receive a fair price on ebay.  My guess is $4,000 for a disassembled hulk and a buch of boxes.  Good luck.

Peace,

Neal

Arthu®

Quote from: ChargerBill on February 02, 2006, 05:26:51 PM
Like I've said before in other posts, I belong to about 6 different discussion forums that I visit periodically, I have around 200 friends at the gym that I know by name (about 20 I'd consider close friends), I have around 300 friends at church and another 300 acquintances (about 30 I'd consider close friends), I know somewhere around 300 business owners here in town by first name (about 10 I'd consider close friends) and know about 100 people affiliated with my daughters school and after school sports, and I have around 20 alumni buddies from UCDavis and 100 from HS that I see and talk to periodically. Out of ALL of those individuals, the only ones that have any issues with me or feel the need to question my personality or friendliness suspiciously ALL exist here at DC.com. Don't get me wrong, there is a huge concentration of GREAT people here at DC.com and in the hobby in general, but since this hobby draws such a diverse group of individuals (income, race, religion, politics, etc..) there is more opportunity to disagree. Unfortunately, some people take disagreeing as disrespect. controlling or aggression...and I can't help that, yet I won't compromise my beliefs, ideals or opinions. Unlike the real world where there is a chance at a little privacy, or you can keep your voice low, or you can CHOOSE who you converse with and who you will ignore, the internet is a place where EVERYONE can listen to your conversation and comments...it is unique that way. Bottom line, I have never had any problem face to face with anyone...Kim, you know that first hand and I'm suprised that you question my attitude at all...I was cordial, even friendly and joking with you. If there's ANY aspect of my abilities or personality where I have absolutely no lack of confidence, it's in communicating with others and developing a strong and positive rapport. This website is an anomoly...because I believe wholeheartedly that most of the people here wouldn't say half the stupid or obnoxious or aggresive things that they do if we were all face to face with each other.

People ask for criticism, but they only want praise. - W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)

You should take the criticism better than that. I read what Kim said and honestly it was positive feedback. Because this is what a almost perfect stranger sees and see that is what you should take interest in. This is what you are to the outside world (except the people that know you beter). I know this is a hard situation and I am really glad I am not in your shoes, but maybe this will make you stronger and better in the end. Really you should read Kim's advice again. It's probably the best so far in this thread as to making you come a little closer to keeping your Charger. Just remember that your new boss most likely doesn't know anything about you, so just relax a little take the criticism well and use it to become a better you. Hang in there.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

ChargerBill

Quote from: Neal_J on February 02, 2006, 05:34:27 PM
 I honestly wonder how much of the "lost" business might ultimately be traceable to your demeanor.   Hmmm.

I thought I explained the loss of business pretty well above... A change in business leadership, a divorce and the unwillingness to spend the money...not sure I could have controlled any of those. I'm not sure why you guys are trying to psychoanalyze me here...I kind of feel that these comments are themselves passive agressive. So then where does it end? or begin? Who throws the first stone and points their finger at the other for starting it? I'm not seeing the "constructive" part of this criticism.

I agree that Kims advice was good, as is quite a bit here. My main question is this: If the people who are criticising my attitude are people who generally don't care for me anyway, then how much do I take to heart and how much do I ignore? Any of my friends here want to be honest with me about this?
Life is a highway...

konigcharger

good luck dude ;)
hope you make it out ok and don't have to sell the charger
just remember its always a car and as much as you don't want to sell, it is replacable :-\

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Chris G.

Quote from: ChargerBill on February 02, 2006, 05:26:51 PM
So, back to my car... I've heard $15,000 and $5,500...anyone think it might be somewhere else there in the middle?

Bill, all the personal stuff has been covered here, so I'll answer your original question. Be happy to get 1-2K for a SHELL of a '69 383 auto Charger. It's on a rotisserie, correct? I would keep any NOS stuff you have and sell it separately. I would love to meet the maniac that would drop 15K to buy this project.  :Twocents:

PS- No buyer cares how much time you spent restoring a grille or fender.

Neal_J

Oh of course, Bill. It's everyone else who has the problem, not you. Silly me.

Ebay probably remains your best bet to sell the remains.   I hope you get a favorable price - or prices if you sell some parts.

Peace,

Neal

HDCharger

Jeeze Bill, Scaring the shit out of me.  I retire from the Army in a couple months and I am going to be looking for a job.  On your car I was thinking in the 8,000 dollar range but I may be way off since prices have skyrocketed over the last year or two.  I paid seven for a complete running, driving Charger needing nothing but it was 2 years ago.  Good Luck, Dave
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

6pkrunner

Bill, I know what you mean about education and the real world education is better than classroom more often than not. However, in my line of work a degree is necessary to open the door for the interview. That is the absolute first screening process.  Applicable knowledge, references, character - none enter the equation until the degree box is checked off. And lately our department has been selecting those with 2 degrees - its that brutal out there. Are any of the last 4 or so hires into our department worth their weight - a resounding NO. But they had to have the paper to get in the door. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but sadly that's how it is here.
I realize that this puts you in a real Catch-22 in that you have to make money to live and cannot afford to take time off for school. And you cannot get a decent job without the education.
I have no crystal ball solution for you, but I do know of your plight and you do have me well wishes for you. The Charger as a basket case would fetch much more on eGouge piece by piece - sadly but true.

1970440RT

Sounds like between 5k and 8k should be reasonable.  If you had extra parts, ( two or more of anything ) I would ebay that stuff and just sell the car as disassembled but complete.  Heck, if I didn't live so far away, I have 5k cash right now for the car.

On a side note, job wise, did you ever think of sales?  Not retail sales or cold calling type work, but an entry level sales job selling anything; plumbing fixtures, hardware, cars, etc.  I left a well paying management job at a trucking co. a few years ago to take a sales job at a commercial construction supplier.  At the time I did not know much about the products but product knowledge seems to be about 1/5 of the job.  The other 4/5 is personality and how well you interact with the customer.  Believe me, I'm not the cheapest supplier and people know that.  They buy because I can talk their language, treat them like human beings and admit when I'm wrong.  Seems like you are pretty down to earth and would catch on quick doing something like that.  If your Salary is set up as commision against draw, and you can get into bid work, 40k is easy.

I can honestly say that 90% of the people I went to high school with are teachers, work in construction, or are in some type of sales.

By the way, my brother has a degree in graphic design, no steady job for him in that field going on 4+ years.

Where in CA do you live?  How far from San Jose?  I have a couple contacts in some software companies I can check with.  I think the kids call that "networking". ;) 

Big Lebowski

There's nothing wrong with attitude. I work for myself, Home building, remodels, kitchens, and I turn down work. My attitude is...."I'm not leaving the house for less than $$ per hour." That's it.
   Now go finish the car, if you want your money back. :icon_smile_big:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Charger Aficionado

RD

bill, if you are needing a vocational change, let me know.  I am a vocational rehabilitation counselor and might be able to help you identify some possibilities out there that you may not have thought of or knew exist.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ChargerBill

Geez, they all come out of the woodwork to take potshots. Is anyone SURPRISED at who the derrogatory comments are coming from?

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on February 02, 2006, 06:44:28 PM

Never said any buyer would care...I was explaining how much time I have invested, which makes it harder to part with. And BTW: If the grille looks like new AFTER my time and effort, then you better damn well believe it makes a difference on how much I could get.

Quote from: Neal_J on February 02, 2006, 06:56:46 PM
Oh of course, Bill. It's everyone else who has the problem, not you. Silly me.

Like I already stated, cannot be friends with everyone here...so why try? The same guys who have problems with me here seem to chronically have probems with others here as well....and IMO that says something. Oh yeah, please disregard my request for an objective look at my resume as I'm not sure how objective it would be...

Like I already said, I really DON'T want to piece this car out...it's A complete project, the buyer could build a complete car from the parts and supplies that I have except for an engine rebuild kit, bearings/u-joints/shocks, front seat covers and foam and a few odds and ends...it's ALL there. I will probably run an ebay auction with a higher reserve first (if I DO actually decide to sell) and if I don't get something decent then I'll consider parting it out.

As far as retraining or higher education, I am seriously looking into that. RD, I will definitely take you up on that offer if you are serious. I can show you the results of a couple aptitude tests I've taken. As far as fields i'm looking at:

BioTech
Teacher...to ultimately become a Professor (am looking at taking the CSET)
Alternative Energies
Aeronautics
Civil or Mechanical Engineering

Tomorrow I am heading to the County Office to flip through their binder and find out what jobs are available and/or coming available soon. I know State jobs have a salary cap, so I'm not thrilled about the idea, but at this point I need to weigh all of my options.

Of course there are probably many jobs that I am qualified for and would not have to go back to school to get, but ultimately I think my best chances of advancing in a career will be continued education. Perhaps I could find a job and get in at a lower level and work toward a degree or certification at night while at that job. Whatever path I take, I have no apprehension about going back to school, and I'm pretty sure I could qualify for some grants and loans. I will however need to simultaneously work to pay bills, but I would be willing to downscale my life for a while if it meant I could accomplish the goal of changing careers and establishing some security for the future.
Life is a highway...

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerBill

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 03, 2006, 01:48:43 AM
You can always try truck driving

A friend of mine mentioned that at the gym tonight. He said they make good money (long haulers especially) but also said in the 3 years he did it he gained 40 lbs and NEVER saw his family. To me, the costs far outweigh the benefits.I don't think I coulde handle that - I have a hard time driving for 3 hrs, let alone 12!! I think I'd go stir crazy or end up falling asleep at the wheel... :icon_smile_dead:
Life is a highway...

TheGhost

Hmmmm... do you not read any of Silvers posts?  The kid's retarded.  Previous posts in this thread held the answer to his questions.  Hell, I knew what Bill did, and all I did was just skim this thread.  I would have made a similar post to Bills had I been given the chance.  So would quite a few other members.

Bill, pictures would be of great value here.  I, for one, hope that it doesn't come to you having to sell your Charger.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Ghost on February 03, 2006, 01:58:49 AM
It's called R E A D I N G ...top to bottom, left to right., string words together to make sentences....you should try it  sometime.

Hmmmm... do you not read any of Silvers posts?  The kid's retarded.  Previous posts in this thread held the answer to his questions.  Hell, I knew what Bill did, and all I did was just skim this thread.  I would have made a similar post to Bills had I been given the chance.  So would quite a few other members.

Bill, pictures would be of great value here.  I, for one, hope that it doesn't come to you having to sell your Charger.
Ghost,  I think you made your own point.  He is a "Kid" in his mentality (and literally (young).  He does not speak from experience what-so-ever, so I believe the inaccuracies in his posts should be ignored by those of us here who are "adults", don't you agree?  I take his comments at face value (considering the source).  We have all deducted how he operates, (i.e. partially reads, posts immature remarks, and has almost 4 times the amount of posts I have >Post Whore lol) so let's just move-on now, and not bicker.  I do not want to scare-away the "Lurkers" here that own RARE Chargers by them seeing this CRAP.  Let's keep it professional, so our forum will grow.  I'm sure there are lurkers that have ALOT of valuable info/stories/photos that we have not yet recieved.

I am neither talking trash about you or Silver, but I am SICK of seeing grown men act like kids to chastise a "kid".  I have had my fair share of dis-agreements, but it all gets OLD.   :Twocents:    /HIJACK

89MOPAR

Is the car originally a 2bbl or 4bbl - i would think that would make some difference.

Just a quote from "old cars price guide" -  When it comes time to sell your car, parts are worth half what you paid and your time is worth nothing.
  [*  NOS parts excepted * for obvious reasons]

Gotta remember whomever buys the car will have the added expense of transporting it.  Any transporter I've ever talked to made a point of asking if the car was drivable.  Some do not want to accept non- drivers.  Others will charge more $$ due to difficulty in winching it / arranging their load as they travel across the country and drop off cars.

Have you sold the Chevy trucks yet ?  Maybe they could be sold first, sparing the Charger for a time.

As far as the job and losing money due to the management change/ newhire / cancelled project situation for $2600.   Even with no specific knowledge of the situation - it may not have happened if you had an "ironclad" contract signed by both parties.  Yeah , I know I watch too much "People's Court"  :angel:

If your situation is as bad/ desperate as it sounds, maybe don't fret trying to get every bottom dollar out of the car.  If you could get  3 or 4000$ for it- that would likely pay for several college classes.  And if you have storage / insurance expenses for the car - those would be gone - as well as the nagging feeling that you should continue improving the car.  Maybe cut your losses, retreat and regroup, and live to fight on another day from a stronger position  ??
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Just 6T9 CHGR

Bill, bottom line.....if you NEED money then parting the car out is the way to go.   The  :icon_bs: story of "I dont want to part such a complete car" aint holding water if you NEED the money for you and your family.  Its your car and your need, not anyone elses.

If you dont NEED the money then you can do the Mopar PC thing of selling the car as a complete project on ebay to get the most you can.  I would estimate between 3-5k.

:Twocents:

PS----do I have your registration info? ;) :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chris G.

Quote from: ChargerBill on February 03, 2006, 01:41:45 AM
Geez, they all come out of the woodwork to take potshots. Is anyone SURPRISED at who the derrogatory comments are coming from?

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on February 02, 2006, 06:44:28 PM

Never said any buyer would care...I was explaining how much time I have invested, which makes it harder to part with. And BTW: If the grille looks like new AFTER my time and effort, then you better damn well believe it makes a difference on how much I could get.

Bill, my words weren't meant to sound sarcastic. If you honestly believe a potential buyer will care how much sanding and priming you did, then you're sorely mistaken. Bottom line, the car isn't going anywhere. You just needed a few pats on the back from the boys at DC.com. Here 'ya go pal 'o mine... :slap: :icon_smile_wink:

nh_mopar_fan

Bill,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Have you looked into temp agencies? If it's been mentioned and I missed it, sorry. But, I have friends that have been temping for years. The upside is that as soon as a contract is up, they have work the next day and the money is generally better than what the fulltime employees are getting. The downside is that it is usually without any benefits. Not sure if that is an option for you but I have a couple friends that went that route, worked steadily and eventually were hired fulltime by the company they were temping for. many companies use temps to "test drive" potential employees. I'm asuming you've been on Monster etc? Widen your search criteria. You never know. My wife was looking for something fulltime after we sold the business. She ended up interviewing with her current employer for a part-time job. During the interview, they mentioned that they were actually hiting two part-time people to do the job because they didn't think that one person could handle it all. She challenged them to give her a shot at a fulltime gig. It was supposed to be a 30 day trial. They gave her the fulltime position after the first week.

Good luck.

Daryll

Orange_Crush

Why you can or can't get employed is not the topic of the thread.  You have to eat so the Charger has to go.  End of story. Perfectly understandable.

Two years ago, I sold a '69 SE 383 4barrel car with moderate rust in the quarters and NO bodywork completed never disassembled and in running condition for $8,400.00.

If you want to maximize the amount of money you can get for this car, there are only two ways to do it.

1.  Part it out and ebay it.  The NOS parts alone can make you a lot of money

2.  Spend a weekend bolting it together and sell it as a running (or at least rolling) car.

As it sits, If you want to sell it, I'll give you 6 thousand dollars for it cash, but you need to send me pictures first.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

ChargerBill

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on February 03, 2006, 08:15:05 AM
they were actually hiting two part-time people to do the job

That sounds pretty harsh. Does she get hit HALF as much, considering she's doing twice the work... JK, I know what you mean, sometimes you have to MAKE your own opportunities. I spent all night online last night looking at growth industries, job specific training, tech schools and Masters programs. I'm hoping to get to the county office soon (today) and also to see what is coming up on the community job board at church. A friend of mine work for our local water utility company (Nevada Irrigation District) and said a lot of managers are retiring soon, and our local paper had an article about teachers all retiring at once coming up verys soon (baby boomers), so I have my work cut out for me as far as searching goes, but it should all work out....I hope.

I also looked at degrees in:

Industrial Design (including Auomotive)
Civil Engineering
Aerospace Tech
Computer Software Engineering
Computer and Info Systems Engineering OR Management
Mangement Consulting (including Six Sigma)
Art/Creative Director

They are all industries with very high growth predictions. (other than Civil Engineering and Art Director wich are AVERAGE growth)

Chris, I KNOW I can make more money parting it out. The problem is that I'm not approaching this from a "flippers" mentality, I'm approaching it from a car guys mentality. I was never in this to make money in the first place I was in it because I love Chargers and cars in general. If I am going to squeeze every last penny out of this project, then I will have to switch my thinking.

OC, that's a decent offer...not sure I could get more on ebay...maybe not. Let me get parts and stuff out and take some pics - once I am sure I am selling that is.
Life is a highway...

69_500

I'm going to throw out a figure of what I've been seeing project cars around this are of the country trading hands for, and I think that you could get $9-12,000 out of the car in the condition you describe.

As far as all of the other comments, I hope I didn't offend you with anything I said. There aren't too many people on here that I don't like. I don't get along with everyone, but then again in every aspect of life there are bound to people you dislike or don't always agree with.

I was meerly just trying to give you a suggestion that might allow you to keep the car as well. I didn't know you had already been doing what I suggest, until I had asked. Sorry if it seemed like I was kicking a dead horse, I wasn't up to date on everything, as in reality I shouldn't be as it isn't my business. I was meerly trying to offer any advice I could.

Side note, I know you said you don't want to try bouncing again. Have you ever given any thought of being a personal trainer? As in working at a gym. I know you work out quite a bit and all, just wondering if you had ever given that any thought.

72Rallye440

Charger Bill,
With your graphic design ability maybe you should take a look in the sign industry? I'm a sales rep in Cincinnati Ohio for a company that supplies materials to franchise sign shops such as Fastsigns, Signs By Tomorrow, Sign A Rama. This industry is always looking for graphic designers just because of the technical aspect this industry has on in the last few years. If I can help or if you need some leads please let me know!

Dewey.Jones@fellers.com

Big Lebowski

If you must sell, I agree with the others, spend a week making a roller out of it. E-bay people want to see it on all 4 tires, and out in the sun. By then things will have changed, you might even be working enough to keep it.
   I used to have 5 Chargers at all times, I'd get nervous if went below 3 or 4. I learned one thing about selling Chargers....Sell when you WANT to, not when you NEED to, otherwise you might give in too easily on the $$$. I know you won't do that.   
                                   Dude.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."